Thread: Conga Bag Review

User Info Menu

Default Conga Bag Review

Just thought I'd give you my thoughts on the conga bags that came today. They're Gator GP Rolling Conga Bags, and I am pretty impressed.

They have good padding - enough to be good protection for normal use, a full length zipper, a reinforced bottom, and a cinch strap to accomodate various sizes of congas. It's a nice head down bag with a top handle, side handles, and shoulder straps to carry it as a back pack, which would come in handy for going up stairs. Oh, and the 2 wheels on the bottom so that you don't have to carry it as a back pack when on level ground, and 2 feet for stability when standing up. It even has a side pouch with velcro closure for some storage. The side pouch isn't very wide, but should cover basic needs.

I know I'm not gigging, but if I have to move one day, I wanted some protection for the congas. I also bought a bongo bag from Gator a few months ago, and I was impressed with that bag too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Conga Bag Review

!

PB, while you may not be actively gigging, a good conga bag can be a help if you don't play your drums every week (or someone has to move the congas temporarily while repairs or maintenance are done at your church). I cannot tell you how many times I wish I'd bought bags when I bought my black CP fiberglass congas years ago. While the scuffs and scrapes are now marks of "character," as shown in the above av picture, they also show the lack of care I gave them when I was a relative conga newby!

Sounds like you've made another great buy, my friend!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Conga Bag Review

Thanks for the review PB! I've been looking at bags a little bit the last few days and was probably going to go with these anyways. They sound like they are pretty well made and some nice options on them. I used to have some LP quilted bags, the kind that you fold the top over and latch it, no zipper. They were good protection, but I wasn't a fan of the loose flap top, and the straps were pretty shotty, no padding at all. I like the idea of the wheels, let the bag work for you! Congas are heavy as hell and if you've got more than one you're most likely going to have to make more than one trip to the car when unloading, you could easily bring in a whole set in one trip with the wheels and backpack straps. I'm going to definitely look into these some more. Thanks PB!

User Info Menu

My favorite conga bag is made by Kaces. It is good for most congas and some 13" congas even fit. The LP Paladium is great for larger 13" plus congas.

User Info Menu

The typical Padded Lp bag is the best gig bag option since the duffle bag design has no zippers to fail ! My bags are 20 years old & all O ever had to do was use pop rivits on handles that were starting to tear out. I use a ****tail server tray as a base for the drum when in carpeted situaions. When I pack up, I put these platters at the bottom of the gig bag to stablize the drums while in case & protects the bottom of conga ( good for using to protect the heads as well. I dont want wheels on my bags, but use a folding 2 wheeled airporter luggage cart. I get those at second hand store...quite cheap. Gator cases & other zipper cases all get ruined at the zippers & is costly to have fixed.

User Info Menu

Cool idea for carpeted situations to use a round plastic server tray.

I used to use wooden discs from wire reels when I was an electrician.

User Info Menu

I used them to and they where handy.

The only problem was that the zip torned apart (and im not a heavy user/traveler) and since m 1.60 the bag's bottom scraped over the floor witch caused holes in the fabricate.

Overall it was a good set of bags with relatively good padding (witch I sold with my conga's)

Padding is imo the most important thing to protect the shells. Thats why I didn't choose dufflebags.
    Last edited by musiqman; 03-03-2011 at 03:16 PM.