Thread: I'm Slappin' Skin Again!!!

User Info Menu

Default I'm Slappin' Skin Again!!!

Well my Gon Bops arrived today! They are in great shape and man do they sound amazing ! The 2 cracks are clean splits and can easily be repaired, I'll probably take care of that this weekend. The skins are thick and of spectacular quality, original with still visible gon bops stamp, and rival any skin I've tried. The slaps are crisp and clean and the open tones sound beautifully dark with absolutely no ringing, exactly as I had expected them to sound. I'm not one to care about finishes and having the prettiest drums on the block, I'm more interested in the sound if you know what I mean, but I must say these babies look damn near new. Other than the 2 splits there isn't a scratch on them. The chrome is flaked off in a couple spots and a little tarnished, but otherwise these drums are beautiful!

I must say I'm extremely happy with the congas and glad I waited until I found what I was really after. I paid $600 for them with shipping and all, so I feel I got a pretty good deal. They were slightly more than my budget, and I've been living pretty poor the last week, but it was well worth it. I want to thank you guys for inspiring me to switch back to my true love !

I'll keep y'all posted on the split repair and try to get some new pics up, this is the old one from the ebay auction.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I'm Slappin' Skin Again!!!

I'm interested in the split you're talking about there. Can you send a close-up?

I noticed a mark - small split - not all the way through though - on my Valje quinto. It might have been there for a long time and I just didn't notice it until I did my thorough cleaning and polishing job last weekend. You can't see it until you rib your hand over it and it'a a little rough. I'm not too worried because the drum is very dear to me and if I have to get it repaired I will send it to Ralph Flores himself to have it repaired. His dad built these drums in the mid 70's in Los Angeles CA.

User Info Menu

Wow…..They are beautiful, is that a good feeling or is that a good feeling! Man I bet they sound sweeeeeet! Older Gon Bops sound so good! It’s the sound that all the conga drum makers today try to imitate but never duplicate no matter how much money you spend on a drum. My bro has two quintos from way backing the days with splits, cracks and one is out of round and they still sound so sweet but we booth agreed were not going to ever replace the heads, were afraid they’ll never sound as good if we did……..enough about us, you’re the man! Congratulations Gretschhead! Get back in the grove and slap away! I hope you can get some sleep tonight knowing that you got a set of really cool premium congas that are some of the most respected drums in the world! You Got A Set Of Gon Bops Yah!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words L4C, I'm very happy with my purchase and ready to get back in the groove of the conga world! I'm a little rusty and my hands are in need of some conditioning, but I was having a blast all evening yesterday.

Kona, I'll try to post some pics of the split, I'm going to do the repair this afternoon, so I'll try to get pics of the process. I'm stuck with only a cell phone camera though, so I'll try my best to get some closeups.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Gretschhead;132120]Well my Gon Bops arrived today! They are in great shape and man do they sound amazing ! The 2 cracks are clean splits and can easily be repaired, I'll probably take care of that this weekend. The skins are thick and of spectacular quality, original with still visible gon bops stamp, and rival any skin I've tried. The slaps are crisp and clean and the open tones sound beautifully dark with absolutely no ringing, exactly as I had expected them to sound. I'm not one to care about finishes and having the prettiest drums on the block, I'm more interested in the sound if you know what I mean, but I must say these babies look damn near new. Other than the 2 splits there isn't a scratch on them. The chrome is flaked off in a couple spots and a little tarnished, but otherwise these drums are beautiful!

I must say I'm extremely happy with the congas and glad I waited until I found what I was really after. I paid $600 for them with shipping and all, so I feel I got a pretty good deal. They were slightly more than my budget, and I've been living pretty poor the last week, but it was well worth it. I want to thank you guys for inspiring me to switch back to my true love !

I'll keep y'all posted on the split repair and try to get some new pics up, this is the old one from the ebay auction.

*Very nice. I do alittle hand drumming myself.. moreso at church during our local worship sets, and I also own a djembe.. Nothing like those though. Looks like you have a very nice buy there! ....so when you said you did a "switch back" to your true love..does that mean you put aside the drum set? -Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 11-21-2008 at 09:23 AM.

User Info Menu

*Very nice. I do alittle hand drumming myself.. moreso at church during our local worship sets, and I also own a djembe.. Nothing like those though. Looks like you have a very nice buy there! ....so when you said you did a "switch back" to your true love..does that mean you put aside the drum set? -Les
    For the moment, yes, I put the drumset aside. I'de like to maintain a small kit with just a kick, snare, hats though. Congas are my true love though so they will be my main focus.

User Info Menu

Nice congas!! Enjoy!!