Thread: about losing skill

User Info Menu

Default about losing skill

it bothers me because im going to the army in about 2.5 months.
    if im away from home for a week, do i get much worse? what if i always air drum when i have the chance? does it help?
    well basically im asking how much skill do you lose if you're away from your sticks for a week or two?

User Info Menu

Default Re: about losing skill

I don't think you would lose much at all if any of your skill. Take a pair of sticks with you and play on something. If you have a practice pad all the better. Just keep your wrists, fingers, and forearms moving will help keep the muscle memory. Thanks for helping defend out great country!!!!!

User Info Menu

I dont believe you will lose your skill, maybe get a bit rusty. As Ohmthis suggests take a pair of sticks and a practice pad with you mate.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

You're going into the Army and you will only be away from home for a week? Are you going into the US Army or another countries Army because if you are going to US Army boot camp you'll be away for a lot longer than a week..........

User Info Menu

No, you will not lose skill. I can attest to it after being away from the drums for 10 years before i got a kit this summer. Every day that i play, a little bit comes back at a time, and in fact between practice, and this forum i even feel like i am gaining skills i didn't have when i played before.

Basically, it is no different than a weightlifter. When they stop lifting, their muscles go back to their normal form, but when they go back to lifting again, they get back muscles faster than someone who never lifted before.

User Info Menu

It's not so much skill, it's form and creativity. If you can find some time to relax, play along to some songs. It'll keep your mind fresh and help in many different ways.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

PTD is right.....it's easier the 2nd time around. I did it and am playing far better today than I did 40 years ago.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    You're going into the Army and you will only be away from home for a week? Are you going into the US Army or another countries Army because if you are going to US Army boot camp you'll be away for a lot longer than a week..........
    Must be the French Army's boot camp?

User Info Menu

I've been there, played piano, and Trombone when I went in the Navy more years ago than I want to say. After two months of boot camp you will be a little rusty, but it will come back to you quickly when you start playing again. Unless boot camp has changed drastically you won't have much down time, and when you do you probably won't be able to get away to beat on a drum pad. You can take a pair of sticks and pad with you, but chances are they won't let you keep them. I would say that forget about drumming while you're in boot camp, concentrate on getting through boot camp. Keep in mind that when it's over you'll be easily able to work back up to where you where. If you're going into an Army band you'll very quickly get it back, because you'll be playing all the time. Instead of a pad you might want to try one of those sets of sticks with the rubber tips that I've seen recently. You have only one locker drawer in a boot camp locker where they let you keep personal items, and they normally won't let you keep things like radios, Ipods, etc.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

Larrysperf Guest

I was away & lost some speed but am slowly getting it back. Practice on a pillow helps to keep your speed as you have to work harder with no rebound

User Info Menu

Ipod...that's what you need. Mentally play your favorite or problematic songs.

You might wanna take Jimi Hendrix's route. He was discharged because he can't concentrate on anything else other than his guitar.

User Info Menu

You can beat on your brain bucket. It may have a nice sound! You will be marching in time. I think you will be fine!! Good Luck and Thank You for your choice to serve!

User Info Menu

Hedon.... am almost in the same shoe with u, i have been really busy with school work recently and it is really hard to mix the two together... well, because i am in my final year and we have got a final year proj to submit.... Well, i have done a lot of air drummin and played some music that motivates me and makes me feel like taking the sticks from the drummer... lol. So, i think u should try that also,... it is tested and trusted!!!

User Info Menu

you would not lose any talent. i no that becuse i am away from my drums on vacation and i got no worse

User Info Menu

took 4 years off, Im now further along than I was before. keep at it.

Official cowbell hater.