Thread: Pedalling with the heel?

GinkoSan Guest

Default Pedalling with the heel?

First and foremost I would like to point out that I am extremely new to this forum and drumming in general. I might not be able to explain things in the optimal drummer-language :P

Anyhow, I bought a Yamaha DTXpress III. Used. Therefore I am not sure what is intentional on it, and what isn't.

Cut past a couple of weeks of playing, the realization that my bass drum was encoded with the sound of the snare, and the snare with the sound of a tom (!) and I just thought I had the kit under control. But, I have gotten used to kicking the pedal by lifting my whole foot, and dropping it toe first (heel-and-toe technique?). My drumming teacher has urged me to get used to strictly kicking with my toes, while keeping my heel steady on the pedal (heel technique?).
    When I reverted my bass drum to actually use the bass drum sound output, it gained some sensitivity, that caused it to sound, even with a weak slow stroke of the... pedal? What do you call the stick hanging out of the pedal? You see, if I do a normal not-too-hard little kick while keeping my heel steady, I will only weakly hit the bass drum, because the pedal sort of has a "checkpoint" just in front of the bass drum, where it stops, if sufficient power is not put into the kick. This is where the sensitive bass drum does sound, but only by a bit. I only hit this point if I use a normal kick that doesn't stress my foot. You see, my pedal isn't particularly flexible. If I try to harden it, so that it rises as high as possible, and gives the most resistance, I will not be able to kick it further than to the little "point" with the heel technique. And even if I loosen it a lot, I am not able to kick twice with the heel technique very fast.

Confused? Let me make a shorter version:
    My Yamaha DTXpress III pedal can be loosened much, but is hard to hit fully, especially with the heel technique, or whatever it is called. I am not able to reliably hit it with the heel technique, at a good pace. This is however much easier with the real drum kit that I play on while being educated by my drum teacher. This pedal is further lifted from the ground, but is much more flexible and elastic, and can easily be kicked in a modest pace, with this heel technique.

Therefore I ask; do you know of I need a new pedal for my DTXpress III? Can such be bought? Is this the fault of the drum kit? Can I somehow tweak the pedal itself? Or is this purely a question of skill, and strength? (even though I can easily do it on the acoustic drum kit)

I know I should probably take this question elsewhere, like to Yamaha, but I just joined this forum, and I want to get a feel for it

Kind Regards Ginko
    Last edited by GinkoSan; 11-21-2008 at 01:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pedalling with the heel?

Welcome to Drum Chat GinkoSan!

First of all, the 2 techniques for pedal work are referred to as "heel down," or "heel up." Your teacher is having you work on the heel down technique. What you describe as lifting your whole foot and dropping it toe first is a description of the heel up technique. You usually get more power, and more endurance with the heel up technique. Your explanation is pretty good, but I would like to know what pedal you are using for the "bass drum." I believe that what you are calling the stick hanging out of the pedal is probably the beater. This can be adjusted, as can other things on the pedal.

If you can tell us what pedal you have, or if you can post a picture of it, maybe we can give you more specific advise.

Again, welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome GS!! Both techniques are correct. Play the one that suits you the best. It is also good to be able to play both well.

GinkoSan Guest

It's just a standard metal pedal that came with it. I'll try to grab a pic of it if I can find my camera. Thanks for everything.

GinkoSan Guest

Also, I'm learning everything in danish, that's why my drum-vocabulary is so flawed, even for a beginner :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GinkoSan View Post
    Also, I'm learning everything in danish, that's why my drum-vocabulary is so flawed, even for a beginner :P
    No problem at all GinkoSan. We realize that this is an international forum, and that sometimes we have to find ways to understand each other. Hey, just because I live in the U.S. doesn't mean everyone does. We'll work everything out - you'll help us, and we'll help you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

GinkoSan Guest

Heh, Parradidles in danish are called "then-and-thens"

User Info Menu

Cool! Makes more sense than "paradiddle!"

User Info Menu

Im not too sure I understand the problem correctly!! but I have the express1V kit, the kick pad has an a and b zone that can be triggered by sensitvity [how hard the pad is hit] !! I would get a manual and look at your kick pad settings, other than that I can only recommend looking at the throw of your kick pedal beater and see how much difference there is in [beater] travel from both acoustic and electric kick drum. good luck

Official cowbell hater.