Thread: How many of you guys teach?

User Info Menu

Default How many of you guys teach?

Any of you all teaching privately or in a music store?

User Info Menu

i teach privately. im not that good of a treacher though.
    anyone have good teaching methods.
    i try my best just to start with simple beats. i mean like having the student try bass and snare...then add hi-hat.
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

BAW, it might help for you to work out of a couple of books. Pick a drumset book and a rudiment/reading book and go through 'em page by page. Just remember to break it up now and then and keep it interesting. It's gotta be fun for the student or you won't hold their attention.

User Info Menu

hello.drumers how r u doin 2day?

User Info Menu

Default hello

hi am new here plz can you tell mehow i can go along ?

User Info Menu

Hi Steve, welcome to DrumChat.com. I'm not sure what you mean by
    "how i can go along?". Will you be more specific? We'll help in any way we can.

User Info Menu

I teach privately and I do pretty much what drummer said only i dont rely on the book that much, i teach my students to read but mostly i focus on developing them as a unique drummer and not just an extension of me...

User Info Menu

i teach privately

i basicly follow the lesson plan my teacher did to me

a good book for beggining students is ted reeds syncopation book

User Info Menu

if u ever have a headache just do syncopation and rudiments on the practice pad and teach them how 2 spin and bounce their sticks

User Info Menu

Cool How many of you guys teach?

Figured it was time to bump this back up to the top, since some of us have become teachers since Drummer posted this at the beginning of DrumChat history...when we still stretched animal skins over wood shells!

The cliche goes, "those who can [play in public successfully] do, those who can't teach."

News flash! You darn well better know what you're doing before you can teach it! Half the trick is not only teaching the basics, but helping to pass on the excitement and fun you have behind the drums to your student...

so, to borrow drummer's opening line...

are you teaching privately or at a music store?
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I've been told I'm an excellent teacher, but I do not have a formal position as one. I would love to start something like this here on this island where musical education oppurtunities are sadly lacking.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I used to teach privately and worked with a drum line . These days the only students I have are my own 2 kids .

User Info Menu

I taught a lot back in England, Ive been out of teaching for a while, I do the odd school visit which is a lot of fun. sooo many questions from the kids, problem is drumming has evolved a whole lot and now I need lessons on more linear patterns and displacement. you are always learning eh!! I actually finished the weckle studies [that was fun...not] and now Im gonna try Mr. Hernandez and his conversations in clave.... wish me luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Baw_Drummer View Post
    i teach privately. im not that good of a treacher though.
    anyone have good teaching methods.
    i try my best just to start with simple beats. i mean like having the student try bass and snare...then add hi-hat.
    Did you have any lessons yourself ? Do you write sticking patterns for your students? this is very important for your students to gain correct finger and wrist control. the first six months are critical for your students, its soooo hard to unlearn incorrect control. all the best.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: How many of you guys teach?

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Figured it was time to bump this back up to the top, since some of us have become teachers since Drummer posted this at the beginning of DrumChat history...when we still stretched animal skins over wood shells!

The cliche goes, "those who can [play in public successfully] do, those who can't teach."

News flash! You darn well better know what you're doing before you can teach it! Half the trick is not only teaching the basics, but helping to pass on the excitement and fun you have behind the drums to your student...

so, to borrow drummer's opening line...

are you teaching privately or at a music store?
    OLA como estas' BongoBro *ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER _DRAGON)CAT) very well Expressed**

User Info Menu

Default Re: How many of you guys teach?

I teach privately. I have 3 students but i don't take any money.
    I' m giving lessons in my studio every time i have some free time because my band use the studio almost every day and my students always complaining.
    Actually i think that they just want to jam with my kit in the studio and they don't care so much about the lesson because they never do the exercises i'm giving them, like they dont care seriously.Anyway I feel nice and i have a good time when teaching.
    First lessons are for the wrists, this is from where i begin, as i begun with my teacher
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

I would like to start teaching, but I don't read, and I think it is important for a drum student to start of properly. I need to learn to read myself first and then maybe I will take a student or two. It is on my list of things to do this year. My daughter's piano teacher has told me that she will teach me to read note values and structure etc. so I can learn what I am doing.

User Info Menu

OLA como estas *DRUMMER *(ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER*)(TOM)
    OLA como estas *ALL ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMERS **
    Yes I do TeacH***I only teach private (LESSONS) ,I have taught at Music STORES<(STUDIOS) *SCHOOLS****&*within the inter-net ***for VERY SERIOUS ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMERS that Want to go BEYOND & BEYOND within this ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART Form OF DRUMMING & ALL DRUMS (TAMBORES)PERCUSSION*I also Expressed to Any student that Piano
    HELPS the Techniques for THE ARTIST DRUMMER **the singing ARTIST Drummer** GRACIAS **ITS all GREAT what ever works for the Artistic Artist Drummer***

User Info Menu

I was a high school band director for a lot of years and also taught drum lessons to private students. I taught in the same fashion as I was taught: Reading first then the rudiments. Best books to use...Ted Reed's Syncopation; George L. Stone...Stick Control; Mel Bay...Drummer's Cookbook; Jim Chapin...Advanced Technique For The Modern Drummer; Charlie Wilcoxin...Swingin' Solos For The Rudimental Drummer. Also, MMO Records...Music Minus One

User Info Menu

Cool Re: How many of you guys teach?

Frank, that almost sounds like the complete list of books I used in my early years of drum study!

And for percussion, my personal recommendation is another Reed book: Progressive Steps in Conga and Bongo Technique (the book in which I discovered my well-used advice about "learning the rudiments first.")...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have a teaching degree, but went into playing instead. I have taught in stores, schools and privately...