Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DW Drumset

User Info Menu

Default DW Drumset

I'm thinking about investing in a top of the line DW drumset. My girlfriend has offered to go in on it with me. Any other players in here using DW or play any kind of DW Drumkit?

User Info Menu

I heard that theyre a REALLY good buy. i havent personally played one, but my friend blake owns a DW and a Pearl, and he likes the DW much better. How much does it cost?

haha, your girlfriend is cool!
    TAMA//VIC FIRTH//EVANS//ZILDJIAN//SABIAN

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!1!11!!1!

User Info Menu

Depends on the size of the kit you want....i have a DW kit...6 piece, kick, snare, floor tom, and 3 rack toms...including cymbals and stands/hardware, i have about $9000 or so into my kit (photos in the "show us your drums" thread). DW is a custom shop, though, so you're paying for that too...but for my money, there's nothing else in the world. Their hardware is vastly superior to anything else on the market, and the drums themselves are timbre-matched, in perfect thirds chromatically, so you're actually getting an INSTRUMENT, and not just a bunch of stuff to bang on.
    Last edited by BigTallG; 11-28-2006 at 06:20 PM.

User Info Menu

DW drums are Nice Sets,But they are quite expensive.The old Drummer of In Fatal Memories (Band my Band plays alot of Shows with) used to have a DW and I played it a few times,And it is definitely worth the money....

User Info Menu

My son has a six piece DW w/ a Pork Pie snare. It's an incredible set. The fit & finish is absolutely beautiful, the hardware is bomb proof and the sound is deep and musical. Taking it to a gig is like showing up at a car show with a Ferrari.

Here's link to see what his kit looks like. We got a killer deal on it. They had been ordered through Guitar Center for a customer and when they showed up he didn't like the color. They were marked down to $4,000 for the six pieces. Sorry about the sound quality on this clip.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...665&pr=goog-sl
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 12-04-2006 at 12:17 PM.

User Info Menu

RD...that link is no good, bro......or Google is down, lol...
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

http://ddrum.com/diablo_profile.htmddrums has a cool set kind of like that, go to

User Info Menu

its the diablo death punx thing it has a sweet inferno paintjob

User Info Menu

great drums...some of the best, but for the price i dont think they THAT much better than a top of the line pearl, tama, yamaha kit. for the "custom" money i would go for pearl masterworks.

User Info Menu

Absolutely. You pay 100 times more for that 5% of extra quality you get out of DW.

User Info Menu

say WHAT???? OK, you guys need to do a little research on DW, I think.....they are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest.

User Info Menu

No, they are the nicest drums out there (IMO). I just think when you get into custom made, made in the USA gear you're paying probably twice as much as you would for a kit that is, in practical terms, not twice as good as the top of the line foreign made kit. For example, are the micro threads on DW lugs a nice feature? Sure. Do they make a huge difference in the sound and playability of the drums? I don't think so. Can most listeners tell that the DW shells are tone matched? Most music fans wouldn't know good drum tone if it bit them on the butt. So no, that's a super trick feature that pro-musicians and sound engineers appeciate. To me, DW's are like Ferrari's: the average Joe can't utilize all the performance potential that's there. Like Ferrari's, DW's are great if you have the means to buy one, or if you're world class, or if you are looking to invest in a work of art to hand down to your grandchildren, or if you simply must have the very best that money can buy.

User Info Menu

Very well spoken, my good man...you are a gentleman and a scholar. But one must also take into account all the little things that DW has to offer....their hardware, for example.....a separate adjustment on the cymbal tilter to adjust camber, so your wing nuts are always tight....memory locks on every single adjustment on the entire kit...a 45-degree offset clamp for the kick pedal that is soooo easy to reach.....the drums are phenomenal by themselves, but what sold me was their hardware....makes life for the gigging drummer so much more pleasurable.

User Info Menu

and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

User Info Menu

Dude, you're preaching to the choir . I love DW's. I'm just thinking for younger drummers, or working misicians on a budget, there's no need to feel dissatisfied with top quality Asian made gear. There are some super sounding kits by Pearl, Yamaha, et al. Also, you don't have to freak when someone breaths on your kit at a gig with less expensive gear. My son watches his DW's like a Doberman on steriods when he plays out.

User Info Menu

LOL......good point.....I suppose perhaps I'm a bit jaded....and blessed that i CAN have the creme-de-la-creme....but I totally agree, the Pearl Masters Custom and the Tama Starclassics are VERY nice kits.....definitely nothing to be ashamed of in owning either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Most music fans wouldn't know good drum tone if it bit them on the butt.

....but I know. And my bandmates know. And that means a lot to me, personally. The look on the guy's faces when they heard my DWs at the gig for the first time.....absolutely priceless. Made me feel like a million bucks.

User Info Menu

Oh, RD, that new link works....nice kit, and DAMN, your boy can play!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Oh, RD, that new link works....nice kit, and DAMN, your boy can play!!!!
    Thanks. He seems to take a quantum leap in ability every month.

Check this out, his first drum teacher gave hime one of his drum kits yesterday. It's a Remo mini-kit. I can't remember the name, starts with a L. Anyway, the whole thing fits inside itself and packs in one bag, and it sounds super. Is that a fantastic gift, or what? Now we don't have to take the DW monster kit, unless we want to.

User Info Menu

WOW RD...nice gift from his teacher. I also saw his video. You definately have every reason to be a proud papa.

User Info Menu

Thank you so much. Yes, I'm a pretty obnoxious stage parent. We're very proud, but we also are trying hard to strike the right ballance. Right now he's a pretty big fish in a small pond. It would be easy to just have everybody fawn over him but' as I remind him, there are other kids out there that are just as good or better, and his time as the cute little guy on the drums is fast comming to an end. He has to take the step to becomming a great drummer, not a great young drummer. To me, saying you want to be a professional, full time musician is like saying you want to be an astronaut, or fighter pilot. It's a worthy goal, but there is incredible competition out there for very few spots. People don't get jobs like that without superhuman focus and work ethic, as well as talent and connections. Anyway, we're very blessed to have him.

User Info Menu

I couldnt agree more with you. Its nice to see your looking at it that way. I know a lot of parents that wouldnt be able to get their heads through a single doorway....lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    LOL......good point.....I suppose perhaps I'm a bit jaded....and blessed that i CAN have the creme-de-la-creme....but I totally agree, the Pearl Masters Custom and the Tama Starclassics are VERY nice kits.....definitely nothing to be ashamed of in owning either.
    have you played a pearl reference series kit yet? i know its all preference, but my friend and local drum HERO just sold off his collectors kit for a reference kit and he thinks it blows his DWs and anything else he has owned away. i myself havn't made it to his studio yet to hear it, but this guy has owned almost every top line kit out there in the 15 years ive known him. i didnt think anything could sound better than his old 24x16 dw kicks. (imo the best kicks ive ever heard unmiced).

User Info Menu

I used to be a Pearl man......but I'm sold on DW....timbre-matched shells...nothing like it, IMO. And that's a patented process, so I doubt I'll ever play anything else. (I still have my old Exports, though, lol)