Thread: Steve Smith Drum Legacy Review

User Info Menu

Default Steve Smith Drum Legacy Review

STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS is Steve Smith's latest DVD. As remarked by interviewer John Riley.."We have to assimilate before we can innovate..." And that's the core of this latest project. Using his band Jazz Legacy, Steve demonstrates how a study of the great drummers of the past helps us to understand our music and find our own voice on the drums. This is done in two ways: A complete one hour performance by Jazz Legacy at the 2006 Modern Drum Festival and an in-depth interview conducted by John Riley. Together, Steve and John present a historical/artistic analysis of each jazz giants coneptual approach down to the nuts and bolts of the licks they played. Those jazz giants include Philly Joe Jones, Buddy Rich, Art Blakey, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones and Joe Dukes. Bonus features include live performance footage of Steve in NYCity and a master class from Australia. Also, a 39 page booklet that outlines much of the drum material used and a 47 page eBook containing exercises and text from Steve Smith. Lastly, the new Jazz Legacy CD "Live On Tour" is included as well. Running time for the 2 DVD set is 5 hours and will set you back $39.95. I spent a couple of evenings watching and was not disappointed in the least. The focus is on Jazz but don't let that stop those of you who are Rock and Metal drummers only. The great giants of Rock...Carmine Appice, Carl Palmer, Ginger Baker and John Bonham...studied these same giants of jazz and were able to draw from them and find their own unique voice and style. STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS goes a long way in showing us where we came from and how we can get to where we want to go.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Steve Smith Drum Legacy

I went and saw Steve Smith a few months ago at a small club. He's just super amazing.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review Frank. Steve Smith is definitely an awesome drummer.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I've always loved Steve's playing. Very creative. Very tasteful. Check out his band, Vital Information some time. Great, melodic tunes. Good stuff.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Steve Smith Drum Legacy

Steve Smith Is One Of Our Premier Educators,he Provides"vital Information"(oh That Was A Bad Pun)that
    Will Benefit Each And Evryone Of Use One Way Or Another...I LOVE ALL THAT HE DOES FOR US ....THXS STEVE!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS is Steve Smith's latest DVD. As remarked by interviewer John Riley.."We have to assimilate before we can innovate..." And that's the core of this latest project. Using his band Jazz Legacy, Steve demonstrates how a study of the great drummers of the past helps us to understand our music and find our own voice on the drums. This is done in two ways: A complete one hour performance by Jazz Legacy at the 2006 Modern Drum Festival and an in-depth interview conducted by John Riley. Together, Steve and John present a historical/artistic analysis of each jazz giants coneptual approach down to the nuts and bolts of the licks they played. Those jazz giants include Philly Joe Jones, Buddy Rich, Art Blakey, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones and Joe Dukes. Bonus features include live performance footage of Steve in NYCity and a master class from Australia. Also, a 39 page booklet that outlines much of the drum material used and a 47 page eBook containing exercises and text from Steve Smith. Lastly, the new Jazz Legacy CD "Live On Tour" is included as well. Running time for the 2 DVD set is 5 hours and will set you back $39.95. I spent a couple of evenings watching and was not disappointed in the least. The focus is on Jazz but don't let that stop those of you who are Rock and Metal drummers only. The great giants of Rock...Carmine Appice, Carl Palmer, Ginger Baker and John Bonham...studied these same giants of jazz and were able to draw from them and find their own unique voice and style. STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS goes a long way in showing us where we came from and how we can get to where we want to go.
    Your not so bad yourself, very nicely put

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Steve Smith Drum Legacy

Frank--excellent write-up!

I saw Steve Smith at a drum clinic at the University of Missouri-St. Louis in 1994, and it was one of the most breathtaking experiences in my drumming life!

If you haven't seen him, you don't know what you've missed...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Mr. Smith hails from my neck of the woods, New England - the Boston area to be exact - and is probably the most recognized drummer from Journey (Deen Castronovo not withstanding). Some of his stuff is simply amazing. In a recent MD article, Deen indicated that he's tried to keep a lot of the original fills, beats, etc. in the earlier (and most recognizable) Journey songs (and if I might add, he's done a heck of a job at that!). Steve has been a **TADAAA** SONOR endorser for most of his career and they recently had a limited edition set done in his honor. Awesome drummer and very nice write up!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Mr. Smith hails from my neck of the woods, New England - the Boston area to be exact - and is probably the most recognized drummer from Journey (Deen Castronovo not withstanding). Some of his stuff is simply amazing. In a recent MD article, Deen indicated that he's tried to keep a lot of the original fills, beats, etc. in the earlier (and most recognizable) Journey songs (and if I might add, he's done a heck of a job at that!). Steve has been a **TADAAA** SONOR endorser for most of his career and they recently had a limited edition set done in his honor. Awesome drummer and very nice write up!

Stix

That new Sonor Kit is fantastic! Steve is a musician, note the sizes of his drums: 8x8, 8x10,8x12 rack toms, 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms, with a 14x22 bass drum. The melodic interval he achieves between his drums is not by chance. In some ways, this DVD is an extension of his earlier one: Drumset Technique and History Of The U.S. Beat. I recommend both to any drummer wanting to learn more about their instrument.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

yeah hes pretty good. FATALITY

User Info Menu

I have this DVD as well and love it. I watch a ton of video (Weckl, El Negro, Zoro, Gadd, to name a few), and this one is at the top of my pile right now. After a thorough first watching, I skip the interview parts, watching the concert and demonstrations. John Riley's pretentious air about him gets on my nerves after a while.