Thread: oiling your pedals

User Info Menu

Question oiling your pedals

what should i use for my bass drum pedal? i have a pearl P122tw and i need to oil, its been nothing but a problem, and its got kind of an attitude, thanks guys

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Default Re: oiling your pedals

I use stuff called "Power Lube". It's in a spray can with a plastic tube you insert into the nozzle.
    Last edited by Scooter; 12-02-2008 at 06:46 AM.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Cool Re: oiling your pedals

Spray Teflon(Home Depot/Lowes)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Let it squeak. It adds personality!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    I use stuff called "Super Lube". It's in a spray can with a plastic tube you insert into the nozzle.
    ahahaha, i might try that, is it at any music store?

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Spray Teflon(Home Depot/Lowes)
    teflon? i cant recall what that is *uhm, can you use it in a sentence please*

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    lol, its not a squeak, its like i have it tightened all the way, and it still doesnt work how i want it, middle it still wont move correct, and very loose it moves to much, its hard to explain. i have it as tight as it goes, and it still cant keep time, i have to tighten it everytime i play.

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

I use a few drops of 3 in one whenever it starts to squeek. It seems to work, but probably there is stuff out there that lasts longer.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I'll second the 3 and 1 oil. It always has done the job for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by begtimm561 View Post
    :teflon? i cant recall what that is *uhm, can you use it in a sentence please*
    As in "My mom uses Teflon pots and pans so the food won't stick."
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by begtimm561 View Post
    lol, its not a squeak, its like i have it tightened all the way, and it still doesnt work how i want it, middle it still wont move correct, and very loose it moves to much, its hard to explain. i have it as tight as it goes, and it still cant keep time, i have to tighten it everytime i play.

BT, I'm wondering if this isn't something other than a lubrication problem, since it "moves too much" when it's loose. What made you think about lubrication?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Dry bearings squeek. That's just how it is. Older, worn-out bearings squeek even more.

The Power Lube stuff I use is available at auto parts stores.
    Last edited by Scooter; 12-02-2008 at 06:46 AM.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Lithium grease.

User Info Menu

lol, i use 5W-30 motor oil when my pedal gets rebuilt every month or so, but thats just me! bearings that are not oiled can get hot if they are pushed too fast for too long. if they get too hot or too dry, pieces of metal can chip off of the bearings and cause the pedals to freeze up all together, then they would have to be rebuilt. just speaking from experience.

i think you can use any of the lubrication suggestions from the previous posts. like pastor bob said also, make sure its acctually a lubrication problem that you are facing.

User Info Menu

you could use chip fat, but every time you play, you might be hungry
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

I use WD-40. Can spray it where you want it and when you wipe it off the other parts... it makes 'em nice and perty!!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    And really cool effects when recording!
    I use a teflon based bicycle lubricant (Tri-Flow) the dry lube is the best as it doesn't attract dust and dirt particles that can grind the tiny pin bearings in your pedal linkage to dust. -Les * I have tried WD-40 but for me..it's too messy..and, it only has a small amount of lube in its formula. It's actually more of a mild solvent and water displacer than a lube. It attracts dust, grit and if you're not careful, will make your pedalboard like an icepatch... (just my 2cents-if it's working for you then use it)
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 12-01-2008 at 08:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Here's two that most people probably have not tried. First of all if I need a lubricant to stay put and keep working week after week, I use Mobile One 15W-50 synthetic motor oil. Great for those 400-500 BPM priojects and I never had bearings heat up using this. It's inexpensive and I use it on a bunch of different item around the workshop that need a bit of long lasting lubrication. I've been using this product for at least six years.

Another lubricant-preservative I use of late is Weapon Shield. Google it. It's a thinner lubricant that does well on all types of metal. It actually cleans, lubricates and also has a preservative. I use this on my firearms and one day I said if it does this good on firearms, it should be terrific on other equipment that needs lubricated. This I highly recommend. I usually buy it by the 16 ounce bottle, but they sell it in lesser amounts. I spoke to the person who invented it and it does everything that is promised of it. They might even still send out small sample bottles, Im not sure.

These two handle about 95% of my lube need. I also stock 3 in 1 and 3 in 1 motor oil for other tasks.

I use WD-40 mainly to help free rusted bolts and as a wipe down cleaner preservative, not as a main lubricant.

Dennis

User Info Menu

hmmmmmmm, interesting thread. You want to know a secret, I have had my 720 Yammy pedal over 20 years, I have never oiled it, I have never stripped it apart or had to clean the sealed taper roller bearings!! It has its original leather strap and it is still a great feeling, really fast reliable single pedal!!

How old is this pedal?, who is the manfacturer? I wouldnt want it for all the tea in china!!

As for help with your question, If the pedal is slow and squeaks due to cheap inferior quality bearings [yes I have a dixon double pedal too, dont laugh]. You will need to clean out the bearings of all the crud first, its no use just adding oil to an already dirty bearing, it just attracts more dirt. the best cleaner for bearings [imo] is paint thinner, soak the bearings overnite, then the best lube out there is wurth, next to that I would use a teflon spray, if ya cant find any the 3 in 1 is a good substitute.

wd40 really is the most overrated product out there,!! the best penetrating spray in a can is called thrust. your local auto repair shop tech will most likely have a can. If you have an issue with screws coming loose use a small drop of lock tight on the thread, it will never lose its position. good luck,

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    Here's two that most people probably have not tried. First of all if I need a lubricant to stay put and keep working week after week, I use Mobile One 15W-50 synthetic motor oil. Great for those 400-500 BPM priojects and I never had bearings heat up using this. It's inexpensive and I use it on a bunch of different item around the workshop that need a bit of long lasting lubrication. I've been using this product for at least six years.

Another lubricant-preservative I use of late is Weapon Shield. Google it. It's a thinner lubricant that does well on all types of metal. It actually cleans, lubricates and also has a preservative. I use this on my firearms and one day I said if it does this good on firearms, it should be terrific on other equipment that needs lubricated. This I highly recommend. I usually buy it by the 16 ounce bottle, but they sell it in lesser amounts. I spoke to the person who invented it and it does everything that is promised of it. They might even still send out small sample bottles, Im not sure.

These two handle about 95% of my lube need. I also stock 3 in 1 and 3 in 1 motor oil for other tasks.

I use WD-40 mainly to help free rusted bolts and as a wipe down cleaner preservative, not as a main lubricant.

Dennis

agreed +1 good advice

User Info Menu

3 in one oil...