Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hee/toe kick drum technique

User Info Menu

Default hee/toe kick drum technique

does anyone here use heel/toe technique?

User Info Menu

Wish I could say I did. I'm from the old school. I've got fast feet but I'm all toes.

User Info Menu

im all toes 2,never tried the heel/toe technique

User Info Menu

i do heel/toe on slow songs. mostly all toes tho.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

depends...i play however i need to...like some faster songs that i need fast triplets on the bass...i'll use heel toe with...like

right heel...left foot....right toe.......like that..at full speed it sounds like a gallop
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Sounds like too much work. Just toes here

Keith

User Info Menu

Trying to perfect the technique myself, and it is pretty difficult. Its probably to do with a few factors though. Not enough practice and my double kick pedal being cheap and shoddy. Hoping to replace that really soon.

Theres a lot of informational videos out there if you're wanting to learn. Search Tim Waterson on YouTube and you'll find a bunch of instructional vids, not to mention you'll be gobsmacked at how fast his feet are. (Watch the one with the Drum-o-meter :o )

HB58

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Wish I could say I did. I'm from the old school. I've got fast feet but I'm all toes.

I'm with him on that, lol
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

depends whats being played for me
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    Trying to perfect the technique myself, and it is pretty difficult.
    HellsBells58 speaks exactly what I was going to say.

User Info Menu

what is the heel / toe technique?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The link was Not Found.

User Info Menu

dont use it stick to slide it`ll come easier when you want to do triplets i do use heel toe trying to change to slide

User Info Menu

i do toe....
    i'm not on the beat when i'm on heel...

User Info Menu

I have watched a lot of videos on the technique, it sounds like it would be something good to learn, and I'm kind of lazily working on it, but for the most part I'll probably just stick with the toe.

User Info Menu

I've been working on the heel toe technique. Heel toe is probably the best way to put it because you go from the heel position and then to the toe position or ball of your foot, and back and forth. Its coming along but slowly.

User Info Menu

I do it. Somehow stumbled on how to do it by myself when I was a kid (in the Summer Holidays I used to get bored and practice for anything up to 6 hours a day). I can do doubles on the right foot as fast as I want to. This is handy for that John Bonham stutter-type feel. When I play two bass drums, I often double the right foot as a drag (or ruff), when I play triplets on two bass drums, I often play 2 on the right and 1 on the left, etc. etc.

I've been trying to work on getting my left foot to do it, but it's not as fast or as controllable as the right. I figure if I can get the left up to scratch - then my bass drum speed will effectively double (very Virgil Donati).

User Info Menu

I use it, there was a video on you tube that Derrick Pope did on it and after i whatched it I was able to do it about 10min it really easy to learn. heres a link to the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKS9a9NuPc

Also when i firsted started doing it my beater used to bounce back and knock the crap out of my ankle so be careful , its probaly just my pedal though.

User Info Menu

My feet are way too big to do heel/toe.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eons
    I use it, there was a video on you tube that Derrick Pope did on it and after i whatched it I was able to do it about 10min it really easy to learn. heres a link to the vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKS9a9NuPc

Also when i firsted started doing it my beater used to bounce back and knock the crap out of my ankle so be careful , its probaly just my pedal though.
    That's a GREAT video! Best explanation I've ever seen.

User Info Menu

Glad you liked it I thought it was really good too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eons
    Glad you liked it I thought it was really good too
    Damn straight. I'm gonna work on my left foot heel-toe tonight. I can do it without thinking on my right, but have been having trouble getting the left into shape. With the lessons from that video, it should move things along nicely.

I love moments like these!

User Info Menu

I did, accept I rose my beater up closer to the middle of my drum and now i cant do it..