Thread: Snare tuning

User Info Menu

Default Snare tuning

Hey all,
    I have a pretty cruddy snare. It's a verve, I just went to put a new head on it. And it sounds really uhhh bad . I wanna get a tight sound but with a little buzz on it. But I'm not really sure how too. I can't afford a new snare sadly. But I hope I can get it sounding good. Should the bottom had be tight? ahh so many questions!
    -Fred

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare tuning

What kind of snare and head?

User Info Menu

what head is it?

User Info Menu

It's a remo coated weatherking

User Info Menu

Hmmm, try changing out the snare wires, Puresound is the way to go on those! And after you get them on, once you have the top head tuned to your liking as far as pitch goes, then try tightening the bottom head in conjuction with the snare wires little by little until you reach desired sound.

Hope this helps!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Without spending any money, try this.

Detune both heads and start with the snare side. Loosen the snares and if you can slide a drum stick underneath the snares resting it on the rim to keep them off the head. You may have to loosen the strainer some.

Now tighten the lugs finger tight and take your key and go 3/4 of a turn on each lug. From there get each lug in tune with the others. Remove the stick holding the snares away from the head and retight the strainer to your liking. Turn the drum right side up and do same with the batter head.

Now hit the drum and see if you like the sound. Also now is a good time to adjust the snare tension and get it reasonably close to the buzz you want.

If you don't like the sound of the snare turn it back over and give every lug a quarter turn. Turn it right side up and do the same with the batter head. Tap the drum. Do you like that sound? If not, repeat this process to see if you can find a tone you like. Be careful you don't go too tight on either head and damage something. If you can't press in on the head at least a little you may have it too tight. So keep that in mind, too.

Another tip: have a moon gel the ring dampener handing in case you want to remove some of the ring you may get from the snare.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

watch this if you cant figure it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs

User Info Menu

Without spending any money, try this.

Detune both heads and start with the snare side. Loosen the snares and if you can slide a drum stick underneath the snares resting it on the rim to keep them off the head. You may have to loosen the strainer some.

Now tighten the lugs finger tight and take your key and go 3/4 of a turn on each lug. From there get each lug in tune with the others. Remove the stick holding the snares away from the head and retight the strainer to your liking. Turn the drum right side up and do same with the batter head.

Now hit the drum and see if you like the sound. Also now is a good time to adjust the snare tension and get it reasonably close to the buzz you want.

If you don't like the sound of the snare turn it back over and give every lug a quarter turn. Turn it right side up and do the same with the batter head. Tap the drum. Do you like that sound? If not, repeat this process to see if you can find a tone you like. Be careful you don't go too tight on either head and damage something. If you can't press in on the head at least a little you may have it too tight. So keep that in mind, too.

Another tip: have a moon gel the ring dampener handing in case you want to remove some of the ring you may get from the snare.

Thanks! I'll try that

My parents want to get me a new snare for X-mas. What do you guy suggest?

Larrysperf Guest

What bish said

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    Thanks! I'll try that

My parents want to get me a new snare for X-mas. What do you guy suggest?
    Price range? If not then how about a Black Beauty???
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Tama Artwood snares are really nice for the $200 price range. They have metal as well as Maple in that price range. Plus, you get a free carrying case with it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Tama Artwood snares are really nice for the $200 price range. They have metal as well as Maple in that price range. Plus, you get a free carrying case with it.

Thanks! I'll check them out. That's my dads price range.. I think

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    Hey all,
    I have a pretty cruddy snare. It's a verve, I just went to put a new head on it. And it sounds really uhhh bad . I wanna get a tight sound but with a little buzz on it. But I'm not really sure how too. I can't afford a new snare sadly. But I hope I can get it sounding good. Should the bottom had be tight? ahh so many questions!
    -Fred
    well does you bottom head fit with your top head? by that i mean if you have a 2ply on the top do you have a 1 ply on the bottom. I had this problem when i had an emperor X on the top and a mapex stock on the bottom.

so my suggestion to you if you want to get a nice pop, with a little buzz, is to turn off the snare, then tighten the bottom fairly tight, then keep the snares off and tighten them fairly tight also, when you turn the snares back on it you may have to pull, but make sure it is not to tight otherwise it will snap. then flip it over take off the top head (clean the bearing edges) then tighten and tune the top side.
    -Steven