Thread: Drum heads

DNA Guest

Default Drum heads

Can anyone tell me which drum heads they feel are the absolute best heads for rock drumming?

My tom heads constantly 'dent'. Help!
    Dennis

User Info Menu

the denting...its because your playin at the wrong angle..well thats what ive always been told...but as for drum hads im a big fan of Evans EQ two ply heads...i have them on my floor tom and lowest tom...and i love them the lower the tone of the drum greatly...so there good...but theres a lot of good rock drum heads
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

yeah, Evans two-ply are defiantley great heads! had my clears for 6 months and got 2 dents, and im a relitivly hard hitter. But i personally prefer Evans Genera G2 Coated, theyre more durable, i like the sound better,and they look cool.
    TAMA//VIC FIRTH//EVANS//ZILDJIAN//SABIAN

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!1!11!!1!

User Info Menu

I prefer Remo Pins on my toms, Evans G2 on the snare, and Evans E-mad on the bass. I mostly play classic rock, but my band and I are starting to get into some of the newer stuff.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I would say Evans Ec2 for your toms, and genera for the snare, and The Emad for your bass. However, Evans released the Emad2, i'm going to get that this christmas along with an entirely new drumset!!!!
    And trust me those puppies wont get dented, I've tried. Well actually i put a small dent in the genara, but it wasn't from hitting it with a stick lol.

User Info Menu

generally the biggest cause of head dents is the head being too loose...also you could try a diff angle like Chicko said...

User Info Menu

I use Remo Weatherking Pinstripe heads (Clear)...

User Info Menu

I'm old school. I like Remo Pinstripes, and I play hard!
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

I prefer the sound of the Remo clear Ambassador single-ply heads, but i currently have a set of Remo Pinstripes on my kit that has been on there for almost 4 years...and no dents. There are marks on them, of course, but no dents...and i can be a very heavy hitter when i want to be.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

I use evans G2 genera coating. I have very few dents in them and i have had them for over 3 years. it's about time to get new heads though.
    holla

User Info Menu

Yea it's a few Years overdue (No Offence)...I have had Drumheads for like 4Years at a Time lol....

User Info Menu

does it make a difference if the heads are coated or not?
    I'm Cassandra
    I love my boyfriend Derek
    and I love my two firebellytoads, named Heartburn and Mountain.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For i know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper not harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future.

http://www.myspace.com/loveonegod

User Info Menu

i like the evans g1s but since you have denting issues you should def. use a 2ply......the evans g2s are very durable

User Info Menu

lol...the aquarian superkick2 2ply bass head is also very good ive goten one of them since i last posted and they are awsome
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

i love aquarian heads...have you tried the aquarian snare heads that are made out of kevlar yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djsdrumrgrl
    HELLO!!!!????
    I'm Cassandra
    I love my boyfriend Derek
    and I love my two firebellytoads, named Heartburn and Mountain.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For i know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper not harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future.

http://www.myspace.com/loveonegod

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER
    I'm old school. I like Remo Pinstripes, and I play hard!
    that what i have too
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djsdrumrgrl
    It can give a different sound to the drum and make them last a little longer (I've found anyway).

I use Remo heads. Coated Controlled Sound for the snare, and Ambassador coated for my rack toms.

HB58

User Info Menu

Default Drum heads

OLa*I use Remo weather king *
    on my snare drums I use Remo Weather King Coated ambassadors
    on my Tom Toms I use remo weather King clear on both sides
    on my Bass I use Remo Weather King PowerStroke # 3
    I Play (PERFORM) alot of Very Progressive ROCK/Metal/JAZZ
    But they sound & Feel great with All THe Progressive Latin Jazz*
    Infact they work well for Funk,Motown ,Blus,Every Style,As I Just Make it Work .,I used every kind of Head *THey all work well for The Artist that Knows what feels & Sounds good for them ..As you all know.
    I love this AMAZING EnterTainMent /Music *BIZ LETS ROCK*as we are all DRUMMER ARTIST..GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Heads, sticks, pedals...my, my, my. The reason there are so many different drum heads available is because there are so many variations to drumming. For Rock drumming, I am going to assume that you will want a double ply clear model. With these, you can get the tone and a resonant dampening without sacrificing one for the other. Evans is indeed a fine head, and there is nothing wrong with Remo and Aquarian either. One thing I found that helped me was to old a drum head by its rim and tap the center of the batter with finger tip. This let me hear the head sing. By this fashion, I chose Remo coated pinstripes for my toms, the Aquarian Force 1 batter for my kick and the Aquarian Vintage for my slingerland snare (5 1/2x14) and the Remo Emperor for my Supraphonic snare (same size). I've had these for almost four years now and not a single dent. I play big band so my dynamics in playing are not continually forceful as they might be for Rock drumming. At least one thing about dents, they tell you that it's time to replace them.

Frank

User Info Menu

One other thing, the bottom heads I use are the ludwig WeatherMasters I had for many years...single ply...good resonant head. Now, am I always going to stick with the same heads I have now? Probably not and that's the beauty of it all...so much to choose from.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum heads

i use Remo Pinstripes on the toms and Remo Controlled Sound on the snare. Remo Ambasador Clear on the Bass
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Fiacovaz, you pretty much summed it up right there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djsdrumrgrl View Post
    Yes, it does. Clear heads have more resonance and volume while coated heads tend to be warmer in sound. What I believe is that it's the music you will play the majority of time that will determine the head that you will want to use. For me, I always use coated heads because I play with a 17pc big band. The drums can be loud when they need to be but, I then have to soften so that I don't get in the way of the instrumentalists. Also, I use brushes quite a bit for vocal charts, ballads, Sambas and Bossa Novas. The coated heads are much better suited for brush work,

You've asked a very good question...there should be a lot of commentary.

Frank

User Info Menu

Clear heads have more resonance and volume, True, they also have more attack as well.