Thread: help: roll help

User Info Menu

Default help: roll help

im kind of dumb(and new ta drumming) and i was wondering what exactly a double bounce is. is it like a bouncing hit on the drum or what?

User Info Menu

Default Re: help: roll help

It's not a dumb question. Don't worry about it. A lot of things can get confusing when you're starting out.

A double bounce is simply two separate strokes with one hand. You have to hit the first one before you can hit the second one so it doesn't really matter whether or not the second hit is considered a stroke or a bounce. I mention this because some teachers teach a double stroke roll as a stroke and a bounce. This can then confuse students when they hear the phrase "double bounce".

User Info Menu

thanks drummer, i was not sure wether a double bounce was a hit that bounced, or some other term.

User Info Menu

When I first started out, without an instructor, I thought that all rudiments with more than one stroke on a hand was played by buzzing or just letting the stick bounce that many times. So I was always confused at buzz presses, rolls, bounces, and strokes. It's nothing to be embarrassed about.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Does that also mean a drag is a bounce off of the first stroke?