Thread: This may not work!

User Info Menu

Default This may not work!

Post Happy Thanks Giving everyone! I Was feeling kinda crazy last night and soaked a pre fitted Lp hand picked to replace the head on my Lp Quinto. It's pretty dumb, may not work and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. As you can see I didn't have a lot to work with. I pulled and pulled but the skin just keeps retracting. As it dries I'm gonna keep on pulling even tho my hand is wrecked from the pliers. If it doesn't work it's not the end of the world and I was planning to get a new skin or head anyway I just won't be slapping any drums for a day or two. But if does work it will be a miracle I just won't ever do this again.
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: This may not work!

I did this same thing a few years ago. I put a new skin on my tumba and conga and was using a synthetic on my quinto, so I soaked the old tumba skin and tried to mount it on the quinto. It was hell getting the lugs to tighten without the skin pulling back through. It ended up working ok once it dried a little. From your pics it looks like you'll be ok.

User Info Menu

whats the process for soaking skins?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

It looks like it is going to work great, good work!

User Info Menu

whats the process for soaking skins?
    Bathtub with warm water. Its been a couple years since I've done it, but I think a few hours is good, the time probably varries with thickness and type of skin.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    It looks like it is going to work great, good work!
    Thanks Backtodrum, Sunday morning is when I put on the skin. Last night (4 days later) I put a little tension on the drum lugs and I think its going to be ok. I was a little worried about the skin retracting under the rim because I'm used to working with 2 to 3 inches of excess and I like to cut it about 1/8 above the rim so when it dries and tuning begins it usually retracts even or just below the rim. I like to soak em 8 to 10 hours or right before I go to bed, then first thing in the morning (5am) I do the work then put it outside so it could dry in the sun the first day. Here's a pic of it today. It sound pretty dam good for a used skin!
    L4C
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

If I ever buy a conga drum, I am gonna see to it that it comes with a synthetic head.

all the best...

User Info Menu

If I ever buy a conga drum, I am gonna see to it that it comes with a synthetic head.
    The true beauty of the conga sound comes from skin on skin :D! Synthetic is nice for rainy days and all, but there is no comparison to the real thing. Its not nearly as hard as it seems, actually it is quite enjoyable and rewarding to reskin a conga yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    The true beauty of the conga sound comes from skin on skin :D! Synthetic is nice for rainy days and all, but there is no comparison to the real thing. Its not nearly as hard as it seems, actually it is quite enjoyable and rewarding to reskin a conga yourself.
    Your absolutely right Gretschhead, It's is pretty easy, I really do enjoy doing it and to see your work when your done is definitely rewarding. I know I made it sound pretty bad but that was an experiment and now I know why you dont put a skin on a drum thats the same size as the drum you took it off of. Typically I use an 18" skin for an 11" drum, a 20" for an 11 3/4" and a 22" for 12 1/2" and with these sizes you'll never have any problems. I do like Synthetic too!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Glad to see it turned out good. Yes - I can relate - it can be a "fight" to get the skin pulled through alright, especially as in your case here when you got little to work with - good job!

I'll be tucking my Valjes in the new year - just got the new LP heads/flats last Friday from Artdrum.

User Info Menu

Thanks Kona,
    Me and my bro jammed yesterday and we both could not believe how good it sounded after I tuned it! We both agreed that it sounded as good as fiberglass Galaxy's. Maybe because like Galaxy's it's fiberglass with a hand picked head. I always thought that American cow skin was the best but now I see that it may not be the best choice for fiberglass. The conga and tumba still has cow, less than 6 months old and the projection is just not there. BTW I can't wait to see your drums with the new skin on them. Are you going to start soaking soon?
    L4C

User Info Menu

Cow definitely has a more mellow warm sound to it, which could probably take away from the projection, especially on fiberglass drums. Glad to hear the new tuck turned out great!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: This may not work!

Sounds like it DID work!

Congrats, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck