Thread: give me some double bass advice!

User Info Menu

Default give me some double bass advice!

sorry for making so many retarded threads. i need some help with double bass especially with balancing myself, and involving hands while maintaining the double bass. and if you have some songs with fairly easy (not crazy speed!) double bass parts for me to practice. for example this one (which i think i can nail pretty good right now)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ZYKSDbwQE

thanks in advance@!

User Info Menu

Default Re: give me some double bass advice!

Hedon, if you can nail that song pretty well, I'm not sure what problems you're really having. Maybe it's because I'm still new to double pedals, but I would think your balance would have to be fairly good to pull off the double bass patterns of that song. Also, is it that the use of the double bass pedal throws off your hands? If so, I would think that it would just be a matter of slowing it down to the point that you can achieve all the movements you need to make, then begin gradually increasing the tempo as long as you can continue to make all the movements perfectly. It's just about training your brain, and muscles.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Double bass can be pretty.I use to play a lot of it but I took my other bass d rum off. But like Pastor Bob said just slow down and get faster over time. It will take time, just keep working at it. But remeber double bass is cool, But don't forget the hi hat!!!!
    -Fred

User Info Menu

well, when the DB gets faster and in harder patterns i get owned but you are right, slowing down and practicing is the key. thats why i ask for some songs with not insane double bass patterns to see if i can do that
    just for the record i dont have a set yet so im just stepping on some old dictionaries to get some noise, but it sounds good!

User Info Menu

I just got in a new Jason Bittner dvd that has alot of double bass info on it. Basically he shows warmups and lessons on how to train your feet equally. The goal is to be able to play the same stuff on either foot, once you can do that then speed will follow.

User Info Menu

My suggestion to you. Is when you get a set, Get your single bass going smooth. Your double wont go anywhere if you don't have a good feel for your single pedal. It's all about practice man! Goodluck

User Info Menu

Practice rudiments with your feet. Like everyone has been saying, play them slow, til you get comfortable. If you can play the UTube song you posted, I think you are doing well.

User Info Menu

now this thing! when i try to play rudiments like the paradiddle at certain speed i totally lose balance and feel i cant keep my leg in the air that way.. i dont know hard to explain
    edit: im trying rudiments right now. the problem is with double stroke kicks.. i can keep single stroke RLRLRL pretty steady for a while on about 160 bpm (heel up) or 120 (heel down) but doubles are nightmare
    Last edited by Hedon-; 11-30-2008 at 08:40 PM.

User Info Menu

start slower
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Dave Matthews Band's album - Beyond These Crowded Streets has a lot of double kick in it. It's not fast or flashy; it's so smooth and musical that you will have to kick up the bass on your stereo to notice Carter is playing both pedals.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Cool Re: give me some double bass advice!

Carter Is A Great Example Of Mastering Dbl Bass So Its Not Over Bearing....Just Extremly Well Executed!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

thanks for the replies......another question!
    am i supposed to learn to lead with my left foot too?

User Info Menu

You bet! Total independence is what you're looking for.

Here are two nice exercises from Simon Phillips -- not for speed, but for hand/foot coordination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_c4S...eature=related

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slingerland59 View Post

Here are two nice exercises from Simon Phillips -- not for speed, but for hand/foot coordination.

His bass drums are huge!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slingerland59 View Post

thank you! im spending quite a lot of time on this, especially the second excercise

User Info Menu

Can't you just use those 4 way coordination exercises by substituting the HHat with bass drum? Takin' Care of Business by Bachman Turner Overdrive is pretty much a double bass from start to finish.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    His bass drums are huge!!
    lOOKS LIKE SPEED KINGS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumslave View Post
    Can't you just use those 4 way coordination exercises by substituting the HHat with bass drum? Takin' Care of Business by Bachman Turner Overdrive is pretty much a double bass from start to finish.
    Yup! It is basically a different sound you are playing!

techristian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hedon- View Post
    sorry for making so many retarded threads. i need some help with double bass especially with balancing myself, and involving hands while maintaining the double bass. and if you have some songs with fairly easy (not crazy speed!) double bass parts for me to practice. for example this one (which i think i can nail pretty good right now)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ZYKSDbwQE

thanks in advance@!
    Heel down is better for balance. However it takes a long time to get enough strength for VOLUME with heel down. Sometimes I'll play heel down with one foot while heel up with the other. This will give nice accents with RLL or LRR triplets or paradiddles.

Dan