Thread: Something Crazy

User Info Menu

Default Something Crazy

I know this sounds crazy but i like experimenting with things. I was wondering what would be a decent yet cheap field snare that i could put on my kit. Sounds crazy but im after different sounds from my kit since i play with people who like things weird. thanks for any info anyone can give :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Default Re: Something Crazy

SteveO...checkout eBay for Marching Snare Drums...I've seen several up for auction for real cheap bids.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

They do have a nice crisp snap , thats for sure . Let us know how you make out with it .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    I know this sounds crazy but i like experimenting with things. I was wondering what would be a decent yet cheap field snare that i could put on my kit. Sounds crazy but im after different sounds from my kit since i play with people who like things weird. thanks for any info anyone can give :>
    That would be cool, maybe use it for a military marching sound?

User Info Menu

Hey STEVO!!! Change Crazy to CREATIVE!!

User Info Menu

HOLA como estas MI amigo MASTER-BLASTER STEVO *CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST(YOUNG-CAT)within alot of aware-ness WISDOM KNOWLEDGE * GO for it SOUNDS COOL AND then you can create new dimensions within your own unique distinct ARTISTRY withi al your JOURNEYS *GRACIAS

User Info Menu

That depends on what kind of style you want, do you want the older sound? Or the newer staccato sound.

If your looking into the older fatter sound, look for "traditional" drums, The big companys still make drums that are not free floaters, not a bad thing for someone that wants the older sound, but new style was warping shells, so the free floater came around. A traditional drum like a Yamaha powerlite is only going to be like 200$ (US) new, so, mine as well go down that road. You could also check out the Pearl Competitor, Free floater, but not nearly strong enough to make a new crisper sound, strap a mylar head on it and your good. Also, cheap for a NEW snare, let alone a used drum. Make sure you use a mylar head on the top though, the remo powerstroke 77 seems to be the favorite.

For the new marching style, the nice Drum Corp staccato, You can't miss with any of the big three. (Yamaha-SFZ/MTS double snare, Pearl-Championchip/FFX, Dynasty-Marching snare) Granted the drums cost more, but they give that nice pop that you get from a marching snare. Look into eBay definatly, I've seen a few Pearl FFX's go for 200 bucks with a harness, in good shape. The heads are going to be a little more costly though, and youll need something to take the head up to the highest tension, its not a drumset drum, you can crank that sucker past what you ever thought you could, Id suggest a high tension key. The heads are going to be like 40-60$ (US) depending on what you want, Speaking on Remo, the Falam is the cheapest, but it feels like your playing on a table, whereas the white and black max feel a lot better on the hands, and create a wetter sound. Kevlar heads are the choice on these, so they last a long time, and usually dont break, They may fray after a while, but are very strong, and will stretch out before they break.

Hope that covers it for a basic run through, any other questions feel free to ask. Hope that helps a little bit though.

User Info Menu

Well what i remember from the feild snare at school its a nice snappy sticcato but has a depth to it. Ill have a check on ebay. Its only an idea atm. I have more ideas than money atm which really sucks :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Hey SteveO, I second the Ebay thing. I have seen guys who have found an old 70's marching Ludwig and fix it up...all for under $100...makes a really cool addition to their kit! Let us know what you decide!! (as if you wouldn't)
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Well what i remember from the feild snare at school its a nice snappy sticcato but has a depth to it. Ill have a check on ebay. Its only an idea atm. I have more ideas than money atm which really sucks :(
    there's a cheap yamaha snare that has that kind of a sound.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."