Thread: Evans EC2 Clear

User Info Menu

Default Evans EC2 Clear

Anybody have experience with them? Looking to put them on my Mapex M Birch Kit. Already have a Evans Emad for bass head, sounds great.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans EC2 Clear

Hey Drew welcome to DC ! I have them on mine and they sound good .

User Info Menu

I just took them off my Gretsch Catalina Maples. Not really my taste. They are great heads, don't get me wrong, but I like a more 'mellowed' tone and I think I'm going back to coated two ply heads. The clears sounded too 'plasticy' and lively to me but I've heard them on other kits and loved them. My advice would be try out the different heads you are considering on one of your toms and decide from there which has the sound properties you are looking for.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

Larrysperf Guest

I use EC2 and love them, give me nice low sound that I like

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Evans EC2 Clear

I Have Them On My Practice Kit,,,,,Great Heads,Nice & Punchy
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Evans EC2 Clear

DREW,,,I HAVE THEM ON MY PRACTICE KIT,,,,,GREAT HEADS....mkennedy,,,ON MY LUDWIG CHROMES(PRIMARY KIT) I USE AQUARIAN COATED SUPER 2'S.....LUB EM LUB EM LUB EM!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

All I can add is welcome to the forum!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drew06 View Post
    Anybody have experience with them? Looking to put them on my Mapex M Birch Kit. Already have a Evans Emad for bass head, sounds great.
    it all depends on what kinda sound you are after. The EC2 on my M Birch toms is to stifeling of the high frequency attack that is a characteristic of these lovely birch shells. I want my Birch to..umm...Bark! I have tried single ply heads, like Evans G1's. They sound good, but the durability (for me) is lacking! If you aren't a real heavy hitter or have a grove of money trees on your property, the single ply heads are a good bet.
    The EC2s are great quality heads, but they will take some of the "bark" off the birch. (hehe) -Les

*Where are my manners?? Welcome to DC Drew!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    The EC2s are great quality heads, but they will take some of the "bark" off the birch. (hehe) -Les
    I like that, very clever!

I never tried the EC2 clears, only the EC2 coated. They also took a little of the bark off my Yamaha maples, so I went back to the G2 clears. The way the EC2 heads are constructed, I think that they would very slightly muffle just about any type of drum because of their slight elimination of overtones or harmonics.

Dennis

User Info Menu

I use EC2 Coated ones and will never buy another head again! I love them and they sound awesome!

User Info Menu

Well i use Evans Hydrualics on my M birch, i love them because they feel like hitting rubber (there is no plasticness to them). They sound good no matter how they are tuned.

I probably will get something different next, just to test other heads, but i really like these heads, and highly reccomend them.

And welcome to drum chat!
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Had EC2's on my son's old set we just sold and they were okay. Went to put them on the SuperStar Hyperdrives we just bought and they killed the sound. Was going to put some on my old Tama's, but I exchanged them for G2's.

The EC2's are good quality heads, but they are weird to tune, and they really stifle the sound a lot.

It really depends on what you are looking for. My advice, if you aren't worried about wasting a little money, is to buy a G2 and an EC2 for one drum, put them on, and compare.

User Info Menu

sometimes it takes trying new things to find what really works for you. i have tried everything possible on my kit, and i ended up with aquarian 1ply res heads and ec2 batter heads. and a aquarian superkick II on the kick.( which i recommend over the emad) i have a very open maple kit though so it works for me. if you are wanting to tame that high pitch birch then ec2 will work out good. otherwise i would try something a little thinner. but it is all in preference and what tone works for you.
    hope this helps you some..

User Info Menu

ec2 batter with a genra g2 reso are my heads of choice for only the rack toms and floor tom on my maple DW, they are a little bit hard to tune at first, but once they get broken in a little bit, they have a good wide tuning range, alot of people acctually use these heads. i compare them to remo pinstripe batter heads.

User Info Menu

I tried the EC2 coated and it muffled the sound too much for me. I went to the clears and they were too sharp so i got some Evans E-rings on the clears and the sound is perfect.

I think it is trial and error and to what sound you like and more importantly the place you are playing.

Like my set up works for my room but it might sound like garbage in someone elses room depending on the accoustics of the room I suppose

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    it all depends on what kinda sound you are after. The EC2 on my M Birch toms is to stifeling of the high frequency attack that is a characteristic of these lovely birch shells. I want my Birch to..umm...Bark! I have tried single ply heads, like Evans G1's. They sound good, but the durability (for me) is lacking! If you aren't a real heavy hitter or have a grove of money trees on your property, the single ply heads are a good bet.

*Where are my manners?? Welcome to DC Drew!
    I dont find that at all with mine

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    ec2 batter with a genra g2 reso are my heads of choice for only the rack toms and floor tom on my maple DW, they are a little bit hard to tune at first, but once they get broken in a little bit, they have a good wide tuning range, alot of people acctually use these heads. i compare them to remo pinstripe batter heads.
    I second that

User Info Menu

i have the ec2's clears and emad on my export kit and i love them, easy to tune sound great, moon gels work great for overring

User Info Menu

Dito I hace EX2 clears and they are fine for me but thena gain your issue may be kit specific based on woods of the shells etc.

User Info Menu

It took some time but I have gotten these to sound great!

User Info Menu

This is VERY wierd because I had bought a set of coated EC2's and didn't like them at all. Bought some clear EC2's for my Catalina's and the clears actually provide me a lower tone than the coated did. Usually it is just the OPPOSITE. I still love other coated heads as they give off a "wamer" sound usually than clears.