Thread: New to Drums

User Info Menu

Default New to Drums

Hey everyone, I'm just starting out and I had a few questions.

Would a Yamaha DTXpress IV standard be a good starter kit? I am currently in university in a house shared with 3 others, so an acoustic isn't really an option.

Also, for an e-kit like that one, what size of sticks would be recommended that would not damage the kit, or is that really a problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated

User Info Menu

Default Re: New to Drums

i think only a few people have E-kits on here. i cant answer your question about the type of kit that would be nice but i know that the size of the stick really doesnt matter. at guitar center theyll just hand out any size stick to someone who wants to play the electro kits, i mean all the heads are setp to have somewhat of the same feel as acoustics so that you can play it just like an acoustic. good luck bro

User Info Menu

I would believe any kit would be a good starter kit. It will serve its purpose. The purpose helping you learn how to play and develop your groove. Welcome SNAKE!

User Info Menu

Hey Snake, Welcome to Drum Chat!

Not a big ekit fan here myself, but I live in a condo and use Sound Off mutes on my acoustics and they don't bother my neighbors at all. Might be a consideration for you. My neighbors don't hear my drums at all if they have music or the tv on.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

In spite of what some would have you believe, drums, like any other musical instrument, can be played very, very quietly.

Welcome to the forum.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Norske, I like the idea of the mutes. With the mutes on does it still have the acoustic feel/response or is it like playing on practice pads?

User Info Menu

You've gotten some good opinions already Snake, so I'll just say welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, Slithery one!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snake453 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm just starting out and I had a few questions.

Would a Yamaha DTXpress IV standard be a good starter kit? I am currently in university in a house shared with 3 others, so an acoustic isn't really an option.

Also, for an e-kit like that one, what size of sticks would be recommended that would not damage the kit, or is that really a problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated
    I personally have a roland so i dont know much about the yamaha E-kits but they seem pretty nice. because you have to get an e kit i recommend that you try to get to a music store as often as possible because e kits feel alot different. Sticks really dont matter, whatever is most comfortable for you as long as the arent hammers.

if you have anymore questions just ask the guys on here will have answers and if they dont they will find them

Welcome To Drumchat and Drumming!
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Like Norske, I too have the mutes for my drums. They do quiet the drums but they are not as responsive as practice pads are. Mine are the HQ set and I have to work on them fairly hard to get any rebound. The set comes with a mute pad for 12", 13", 14" and 16" drums, ride cymbal, crash cymbal and hi-hats. I was able to get a 20" mute for my bass drum with this set. For their intended purpose, they do an excellent job.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcomes everyone!

Norske, I like the idea of the mutes. With the mutes on does it still have the acoustic feel/response or is it like playing on practice pads?
    No, it does not have the same feel as playing on the drum heads. These are rubber pads, so the stick rebound is nowhere near the same. However, there are other good points to using them.

One, they make you work a little bit harder. By that I mean that doing fills is slightly more difficult, but to me that's a plus. When I play my kit without the mutes on, I find that it's much easier to play what I was practicing.

Two, even though they reduce the sound by up to 80%, you still do hear some tone from the drums. Not the same tone that you'll hear without the mutes, but you do hear the different tones from each drum.

As Frank pointed out, a complete set includes pads for your cymbals and hi hats - mine also included a pad for the bass drum. You won't have anything remotely close to a real cymbal sound, but you will be able to practice on your kit the way you would normally play it.

Is an ekit going to give you the same feel as playing acoustic drums? Perhaps, but the ones that will provide that are generally quite expensive. You can buy a set of drum mutes for around $50-60. When you start comparing the prices of acoustic kits versus ekits, IMHO you will be way ahead buying an acoustic kit.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Thanks again for the replies.

I've been trying to go to different music stores to try out some stuff but not many places around where I am working now have demo kits set up

If i find somewhere that does I'll definitely see if i can try out some mutes to see how they are.

User Info Menu

Thanks again for the replies.

I've been trying to go to different music stores to try out some stuff but not many places around where I am working now have demo kits set up

If i find somewhere that does I'll definitely see if i can try out some mutes to see how they are.
    Well, Drum mutes are one good option, but i honestly suggest you buy an electric kick for the closer feel, and get a small amp for the tone, and then while you leanr on the electric set keep saving money so that when you are ready for an acoustic set you can get a nice one. You do what you feel best but that is my opinion, good drumming
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Snake.....welcome to the board , I agree with Norske and RD , get some mutes and diont beat the snot out of your drums . As far as sticks ,dont buy the cheapest ones . Get a good quality stick , Regal Tips are good ,and alot of members also like Vic Firth .Good luck .

User Info Menu

Because you are new to drumming and in school [ I take it budget will be an issue] I strongly suggest you look for a good used acoustic kit and use the mutes. Stick selection is also important, if you are of average build I suggest 5a's for regular play , and I also recommend a 2b's for snare rudiment practise.

as A side note I have an e kit and acoustic kit.

Official cowbell hater.