Thread: Embarrassing Problems!

User Info Menu

Default Embarrassing Problems!

I hate to make this sound like the problem pages or anything but anyway....
    im a guitarist in a band.i've also been drumming for several years. Now the drummer in my band has been playing for less than ive been playing for.recently he has been getting stick for his playing. He has the habit of his hand following his foot. ie when he is playing offbeats with his foot his hand will follow on the hi hats instead of playing tempo. I think you will agree that this technique is a fairly essential point of drumming.

now while i have progressed in my own drumming skills to playing paradiddles and more technically advanced stuff he continues to play his stock drumming and he doesn't seem to be interested in learning new skills like paradiddles, flams ,offbeats etc. This can sometimes be a pain for me as a guitarist (of 7 years) when someone can't compliment the songs i write with more advanced drumming. I hate to sound c-o-c-k-y but he is getting quite a lot of critiscm and i'm just wondering if ye have any advice for encouraging him to progress.

thanks J.D.
    Last edited by mexicancounciloffood; 12-01-2006 at 03:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Tell him that if he doesent start improving hes out of the band.

jarhead Guest

you could help him out a bit. if he doesnt go along with it, cooperate,practice,then kick him out

User Info Menu

yeah....you have every right to have your songs played the way you want them played...

User Info Menu

Forgot to mention that he is a good friend and i dont think kicking him out would be the best option as he is still very much interested in the band as a whole. I think he is the kind of person that thinks if he buys lots of expensive equipment that he will automatically become good. i have a plan abeit dastardly......
    to go onto the forum thats been talking about him, pretend to be a drumming coinneuser say that i have seen him play...and list out the things that could make him better.....supportive advice.....

thanks for all the replys btw

User Info Menu

and he doesn't seem to be interested in learning new skills
    that right there says a LOT.....are you sure he's into it? i've never known a drummer that DIDN'T want to improve his playing....ive been playing for 24 years, and i'm always looking to learn more and get better....maybe have a talk with him about his commitment to playing?
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

jarhead Guest

well, if hes a good friend,you could break it to him easy....or not. but if hes doesnt want to learn more wy is he playin drums???

drummonkey Guest

yeah but the way i do stuff is rever sicolgy like you that set msot of cost you alot of money why are we wasteing tin=me here so on

User Info Menu

i make out most of what your saying except "sicology".
    thanks

User Info Menu

I think he means reverse psychology, but I think the best thing to do is just try and start talking about how committed to playing drums and trying to learn new things...

User Info Menu

You could start another band - have a 'playing around' band, and a serious band. The drummer who isn't interested in improving his skills doesn't play in the serious band.
    ~Kay

User Info Menu

what sorta idiot doesn't wanna learn new techs?
    also about the foot matching the hand. i had the same problem when i first started out. i just sat down and played for hours.
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.