Thread: Putting forward ideas problem

User Info Menu

Default Putting forward ideas problem

Ok, so this isnt really drum related. But ive written quite a few (i think) good guitar riffs. I mean they are simple mostly but effective i think. However, the problem im having is outtign them forward. As i am not really very good at guitar i cant really convey them very well (some let alone even play.) Ive tabed them all but alot of them are rythmical which is where the problem lies. I cant seem to get the space to properly convey them e.g - by singing them.

Ive put them forward to the band but i just dont really have the personality to enforce it on people and say like "lets do this" i dont know why. I also wrote a song using a music program (and have got a sound file of it - like cubase) which i think is pretty awesome and although the other members say its good i just dont want to like force it on them, they dont really seem bothered about it enough to pursue it.

So im just looking for some advice. Should i try and enforce it and really hit it home? We need more songs badly so any new material is positive. Or should i just see what others think.

Thanks, its a bit confusing so ask anything. I do kinda feel like one of the natural band leaders but just cant evoke it on the others!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Putting forward ideas problem

I know the feeling! It is hard as a drummer to convey ideas to the other bandmembers, but you have enough guitar talent to show them what you want right? Sometimes I have ideas, but I can't play a musical instrument (except for tuba but i don't have one of them anymore!) to convey my ideas. I do however have a great guitar player who can play the notes I hum to him, so it works out pretty good. I'm comfortable enough with these guys to do that, and know they will try it. If it doesn't work out, that's ok, cause at some point I'm gonna reject something they do! So bombs away, get out there and show 'em what you got, after all you need songs,and you have ideas!

Good luck!

User Info Menu

I would just ask them what they thought about learning the song. You could definitely use the fact that you guys need some new material for leverage. I am lucky to have gotten together with an open minded guitar player. We are constantly telling each other..."hey what about if you did this right here, and throw that in right here," etc". I can't play the guitar well enough to just throw it over my shoulder and show him what I have in my head, but I can hum the riff to him, and he can interpret it. He does the same to me. I think we've both came up with some great sounding stuff for each others instruments. I think a lot of people might get offended, because I've known folks who would tell you not to tell them how to play their instrument if threw an idea at them. I think if you, and your band mates can think open-minded then you will only be that much better.

User Info Menu

MS, I think it's all in how you approach your bandmates, and how you are showing respect for their talent, and that they are the one playing a certain instrument in the band. You definitely don't want to come off as being bossy and telling everyone else what to do. On the other hand, if you have the right relationship with your guitarist (and if not, now's the time to cultivate it by talking with him about guitars, and his guitar work. Tell him you want to undertand his work better, so that you can play with him better.), you will be able to sit down with him and discuss ideas. Don't do it in front of the whole band, and be willing to hear his ideas for your playing too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    I have ideas, but I can't play a musical instrument (except for tuba but i don't have one of them anymore!) to convey my ideas.
    Good luck!
    I understan what you're saying (I think), but the drums are a musical instrument. They are not some second class device that shares the stage with guitars, horns, keys, etc.

I've been in the same situation as a guitarist, so it's not just drummers who have a hard time getting bandmates to accept new ideas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    I understan what you're saying (I think), but the drums are a musical instrument. They are not some second class device that shares the stage with guitars, horns, keys, etc.

I've been in the same situation as a guitarist, so it's not just drummers who have a hard time getting bandmates to accept new ideas.
    Yea I knew I'd be hearin about that one!! i suppose the point was ya can't play a song on the drums (Mary had a little Lamb excepted!) and have the band learn from that!! I don't believe that a drummer is just a guy (or gal) who hangs out with musicians!

Cheers,
    Russ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Yea I knew I'd be hearin about that one!! i suppose the point was ya can't play a song on the drums (Mary had a little Lamb excepted!) and have the band learn from that!! I don't believe that a drummer is just a guy (or gal) who hangs out with musicians!

Cheers,
    Russ
    I knew that. But there are many stupid, stupid, STU-PID people who think drums are not musical.

You've just got to be able to sing it to them to get the point across.

User Info Menu

Stan just get yourself a KEYtar and play it for them on that!

But seriously, you need to develop a rapport with your bandmates if you haven't already. Then just sit down with them and try to express what it is you wanna do, and get their input on it as well. If you all collaborate on your idea, it just might expand into something more special than you envisioned.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I have this problem sometimes too, What I do is stand up from behind my kit and yell HEY! I HAVE A IDEA!!! Just go for it, say what you wanna say and build off what the other band members think!

-Fred

User Info Menu

I knew that. But there are many stupid, stupid, STU-PID people who think drums are not musical.

You've just got to be able to sing it to them to get the point across.
    I don't get why people think that. Or when people say drumming is easy, I get that a lot in our school band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fredr View Post
    I don't get why people think that. Or when people say drumming is easy, I get that a lot in our school band.
    Because, Fredr, there are too many self-centered, non-musical morons on the planet. Those you are referring to are undoubtedly the same folks who can't clap in time. Gggrrr!

User Info Menu

Because, Fredr, there are too many self-centered, non-musical morons on the planet. Those you are referring to are undoubtedly the same folks who can't clap in time. Gggrrr!
    You're right! It's so stupid, no one realizes how hard percussion can really be. But I mean come on... clapping is sooooooo hard!
    Last edited by Fredr; 12-03-2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

it amazes my how many of those type people there are. including my wife.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Ouch. Hope you like sleepin on the couch BTD.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Yes, one of my relatives was recently listening to Jam'n Jimmy practice and commented on how she was surprized at how "musical" drums could sound. I'm happy she's breaking through the wall of ignorance that has surrounded her, but sheesh!

User Info Menu

I'm happy she's breaking through the wall of ignorance that has surrounded her, but sheesh!
    When I first read that, I thought you'd thrown her through a wall because of her musical ignorance, causing her to break many bones and vital organs in the process. I know you're a 'loose cannon' and all that, but seriously man, that's a little too far.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...