Thread: Do you mic your kit?

User Info Menu

Default Do you mic your kit?

What type of mics do you use? I own the old standards (AKG D112 for kick and SM57's for snare and toms) but most of the time my current band has a sound guy with their own gear.

User Info Menu

i do, but i dont know the mics.
    how many mics do you guys use?
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

i only mic up when the situation calls for it....i don't have any mics of my own...luckily when ever i've needed them some other drummer at the show loaned me some....personally though...i don't much care for a miced drum set if it doesn't really need it....just sounds more natural without them....

User Info Menu

I own a set of Samson drum mics. They are cheaper but do sound pretty good. I usually only mic bass and sometimes snare. For outdoor stuff, I mic all the drums and use sm 57 on the HH. I personally love the sound of mic drums.

User Info Menu

Shure Beta52 in the kick drum and SM57's on the snare and toms. How can you hear the bass drum without a mic? Also, snare drum can sound very good when mic'd. The mic's are not just for volume, the mic's hear differently that you and I do and process the signal which you may or may not like. I have an effects unit with reverb that sounds great for the toms and snare on some cover tunes.

User Info Menu

i dont mic my kit at this point but when i get the money ill probably mic each of the basses and a few overheads
    MAPEX - ZILDJIAN - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

I use mics live when needed, but usually only bass, snare, and two overheads.

User Info Menu

Audix D6 for kick, Shure SM57 for top and bottom of snare, Neumann TLM103 for overheads, and Shure Beta 56 for toms.
    two beats = tempo, three beats = some iPhone app

User Info Menu

Does anybody use triggers / dm5 or dm4 electric on their kit.
    I dont use any at this point but if i did this is what i would use.
    You can program different sound on each drum for different songs.
    DRUMS RULE.....

User Info Menu

I`m using chepo ones from kam but they sounds great .i`ve got 5 drum mics and 2 overheads (nt1`s by rode).they sound amazing live .

dave

User Info Menu

I don't really use them as i honestly don't have the money, but also because i don't realy need them in the venues i play in.

User Info Menu

Alright Senior Status Has Arrived!

User Info Menu

Talking

I dont use a mic, I just play really loud .. thats my neighbors....
    no not really i dont have any neighbors, i live down a long long dirt road and we have orchards and orchards around us so no one can hear us xept the farmers, coyotes, rats, and owls
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

I use SM57's all the way around and an old Audiovox mic for the bass drum. Don't know why I still use that thing, but it sounds great. I run everything into a Yamaha powered mixer along with my electronic drums so I have an even audio level across my acoustic and electronic kits.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i`ve just changed mine too ...sm57 on snare and these round the kit and b/drum

User Info Menu

hello what is this??

User Info Menu

they are microphones mate ....specially designed for drums ..

User Info Menu

Like most I use shure 57's on toms, AKG D112 on bass, an electro voice on snare and an Audio Technica condenser mic on the hats. If it's a large venue I also use 2 Audio Technica condenser mics for overheads.

I have also used a shure flat plate mic, (not sure what the model is) in the bass drum, and it really works well. You can place it anywhere in the bottom of the drum.

I also use gates and eq on all the drums, compression on bass drum, and occaisionally some efffects on snare.

Depending on the song, our sound guy might add some effects to the toms and/or bass drum.
    Last edited by DrumMajor; 09-15-2006 at 06:57 PM.

User Info Menu

I use the Roland triggers. The triggers work best if you use a roland module. At first I was using my yamaha module but the tom triggers that work off of the drum rim vibration was missing and not triggering correctly. I purchased the smaller roland module off of e-bay for 200.00 bucks and they work just fine now. I guess the yamaha was not compatible with roland triggers. The bass and snare triggers are awesome. Buzz rolls clean and has a 2nd pickup for rim shots built in to trigger. I tried the cheap ones but they were not consistant and cross triggered. Have not tried the ddrum triggers but I hear they are very good. I run the triggers through the module then through an Ibenaz 15" bass amp with a built in tweeter. The vocal mix also through a small 6 channel mixer that controls the drum module. No problem with volume on either. Can't hear vocal turn it up. I keep the amp facing toward me to prevent feed back. I don't like being drowned out. I like to here myself. We play classic rock. My amp also has a 1/4 out put if I want to send the drums through the PA.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloyd
    they are microphones mate ....specially designed for drums ..

*gets on knees and bows* ALL HAIL PINKFLOYD! (the drummer)

User Info Menu

how much did they run ya? $$?
    (or at least a rough estimate of US $S amount) please
    they look cool - they're shure?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloyd
    i`ve just changed mine too ...sm57 on snare and these round the kit and b/drum

how much $$ ? they're shures?

User Info Menu

Back when I was playing out full time every week , my kit was always mic'd. Because of the size of the rooms it was necessary to completely mic up the kit so it would be in the mix out front, just as the drums are when you go to a concert just at a smaller scale volume wise. I'm not sure what types of mic's were used as that was always up to the sound tech. I do know that he used two over heads for the cymbals and a seperate mic on the hi-hat and ride and one mic on each drum. My current Acoustic kit is rather large and takes 23 mic's with a mic on each drum, two overheads and one on the hi-hat and one on the ride, so unless it's a big show I just use my Yamaha DTXTRME ll's when I play out. No need to move the monster if it's not absolutely necessary.

User Info Menu

i would if I could...