Thread: Converted Guitarist now drummer

User Info Menu

Default Converted Guitarist now drummer

Hi All, Thought i'd say hello, I'm new to playing drums, i'm in a band "Loaded Revolver" and used to play guitar in it untill we got messed around buy that many drummers that i decided to learn them myself, and it's so much fun, i've picked it up really quickly and can play beats to all the songs we do and they pass ok, just need to practice on the fills, maybe a bit eaiser to learn for me as i've got the rhythm already form my guitar days, i'm also having lessons just to help me out with the fills as i don't want the band to take a back step, got a gig in feb. Any advice would be Appreciated to help me on my way. Cheers Mark

User Info Menu

Default Re: Converted Guitarist now drummer

Welcome to Drum Chat Mark!

You're not the only one to make the transition from strings to tubs. We've got Bassistlearningdrums with us, and he is absolutely loving the drums as well. I've actually got more time on the guitar than I do on the drums at this point, and I'm lovin' the drums too.

Since you're working with a teacher, you've already made a really positive step. The only thing I would suggest as you head down this road is whenever you encounter something that's challenging, just take it slow and get the rhythm right, then gradually speed it up. As you said, your working knowledge of rhythms will help quite a bit, although the time will most likely come when you will meet a real challenge. Just like when you first picked up a guitar and couldn't make your finger go on the fretboard where you wanted them, you will face some challenges just because your 4 limbs have to learn what to do when. It's all about muscle memory, and it will come with repitition.

I hope you'll hang out with us when you can. We'll be happy to encourage you, and answer any questions that you have. This is a great place for that! Wait'll you meet the rest of the folks!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Practice your fills with a metronome so that you don't speed up or slow down when you play them. That is a big problem usually for new drummers in playing a fill in time to the groove and maintaining the exact speed needed.

User Info Menu

welcome Mark! you'll really enjoy it here. I am a guitarist who also plays drums, hence the name parttimedrummer

You;'ll find many helpful folks in this forum with a wide range of knowledge, which will further enhance your skills.

User Info Menu

welcome! if you dont have a drumset home, arrange some books on a chair like i do its good for practicing fills, im not joking lol

User Info Menu

yeah i have a kit, mapex m-birch in black, sounds and looks the business. i love playing the drums, can not wait till our Gig in Feb, i'm the sort of Extravagant Showman sort of player , guess it comes from how i play the guitar, i like to get really into it, put in a performance. and i guess being a drummer it's eaiser to get into different bands as where i live it's so so hard to get a drummer and keep one.

User Info Menu

^hah i think its the same everywhere, drummers being uncommon that is

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Mark!

You're not the only one to make the transition from strings to tubs!
    Hey Don`t forget about me! heheh! >>>

User Info Menu

Hey Mex! Haven't seen ya in a while. Hope everything is going well.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    i'm the sort of Extravagant Showman sort of player , guess it comes from how i play the guitar, i like to get really into it, put in a performance.
    Mark, if you like the role of extravagant drummer, you'll have to check out this vid out! It's become a cult classic around here!

Korean Drummer Steals Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZfVfyR5F1E

User Info Menu

Check out Moonie as well for performance tips. He was a great drummer.
    You made a good choice by the way.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Mark, if you like the role of extravagant drummer, you'll have to check out this vid out! It's become a cult classic around here!

HAHAHA

PB, that's my first time seeing that. HILARIOUS!
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

LOL

User Info Menu

Hey, Mark, welcome to DrumChat.

I think you are a member over at Guitar Noise if I'm not mistaken.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

that's correct from Guitar Noise..

User Info Menu

Welcome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Hey, Mark, welcome to DrumChat.

I think you are a member over at Guitar Noise if I'm not mistaken.
    And just exactly what is a man who owns one of every drum set ever made doing hanging around on a guitar forum???? HUH????
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

yeah i have a kit, mapex m-birch in black, sounds and looks the business. i love playing the drums, can not wait till our Gig in Feb, i'm the sort of Extravagant Showman sort of player , guess it comes from how i play the guitar, i like to get really into it, put in a performance. and i guess being a drummer it's eaiser to get into different bands as where i live it's so so hard to get a drummer and keep one.
    Hey Mark!! welcome to our sandbox!! You are among a good sized handful of drummers from across the pond that post regularly here..and you Play Mapex M birch! A few of us on this forum as well! Welcome mate!
    -Les

User Info Menu

Hi All, Thought i'd say hello, I'm new to playing drums, i'm in a band "Loaded Revolver" and used to play guitar in it untill we got messed around buy that many drummers that i decided to learn them myself, and it's so much fun, i've picked it up really quickly and can play beats to all the songs we do and they pass ok, just need to practice on the fills, maybe a bit eaiser to learn for me as i've got the rhythm already form my guitar days, i'm also having lessons just to help me out with the fills as i don't want the band to take a back step, got a gig in feb. Any advice would be Appreciated to help me on my way. Cheers Mark
    Welcome mate from a fellow Brit....

I have seen that one before - very funny! He looks like the little bloke from
    (if memory serves me correctly) Fantasy Island!

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    And just exactly what is a man who owns one of every drum set ever made doing hanging around on a guitar forum???? HUH????
    Maybe Bish has 10 guitars as well??
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Oh man!!! another ex axe thrasher!! If you really want to be the extravagant shomwan why dont ya learn to play some double kick patterns while throwing in a Keytar solo, that would be really coooooooool.

hey drummers, I think there is a sub plot here, underground axe thrashers trying to infiltrate drum forums, to see what makes us tick?!!!

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    hey drummers, I think there is a sub plot here, underground axe thrashers trying to infiltrate drum forums, to see what makes us tick?!!!
    Don't be a hater.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Welcome Mark!! As a bassist, I think you will really LOVE the Drums!

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Maybe Bish has 10 guitars as well??
    Ha!!!

I used to. I am down to 6 now...oh and that does include a bass.
    Signature here