Thread: Rack Tom Placement

User Info Menu

Default Rack Tom Placement

I'm having a little difficulty with my rack toms. Basically, I like playing quick fills between snare and toms at the minute. But I struggle to move my arms quick enough between rack and snare. Nothing to do with me overextending myself technically; it's just uncomfortable and really frustrating. I'm losing speed because of this, and my creativity is suffering too. What I want to know is how can I possibly make it easier to move my hands between drums; should I lower them, should I tilt them? Help! :S
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rack Tom Placement

I had a tom problem a while back. Mine was they were hard to get closer together. It sounds like you may try tilting them a little, and at the same time, lowering them. Try raising your snare a little. Also, check your throne height. If you sit real low, I am sure your snare is low, too. Can you post a couple pics so everyone can see what you see?

Larrysperf Guest

YOUR LEGS SHOULD BE 90 DEGREE TO YOUR SNARE SAME WITH YOUR THRONE HIEGHT,AS THIS WILL BE BEST FOR YOUR LEGS KICK AND OVERALL POSITION, GIVE OR TAKE 1OR 2 INCHES. sIT STRAIGHT UP NOW POSITION YOUR TOMS TO MOST COMFORTABLE FOR YOU. bUT WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT

User Info Menu

Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    THATS WHAT i SAID EXACTLY LOL

User Info Menu

what i did is i have my seat a lil higher than usual , along with everything else and i raised my snare and its beautifully close to my 10 inch tom. i know how hard it is to get everythig perfect. Just adding a splash and side snare to my kit took about 30 mins to get everything straight. but once you get everything perfect it feels orgasmic!