Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hello everyone

User Info Menu

Default hello everyone

i just thought i'd drop in to say hello. i joined the site yesterday. i'm a new drummer, a chick, and a leftie (a new drummer, not a new chick or a new leftie )! yikes. can you imagine if i was blonde too? only kidding. i was just wondering whether or not women drummers are readily accepted into male bands. i played ice hockey for eons, 10 years in a men's league, so i can hold my own with guys. but this is not sports, this is music. i am absolutely LOVING playing the drums. love it. love it. love it. i wouldn't have started taking lessons if i didn't want to eventurally play in a band. was just wondering, that's all. what say you all?

User Info Menu

There are bands out there who wouldn't consider having a girl as their drummer. For that matter, there are probably some chick bands who wouldn't want a guy. If you're good there will still be plenty of opprtunities. Talent is talent.

Welcome to Drum Chat.

User Info Menu

but i wouldnt make fun of blonde girl drummers

lezzle will shank you lol
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

hehe...poor lezzle...j/k....yeah if your good you will find people to play with but be ready for those few jerks that will not accept you....

User Info Menu

Hey what do you have against blond-lefty-chick-drummers?
    my goodness.. lol
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

there's a blond drummer for Skillet. she rocks too. skillet has 2 guys and 2 girls. btw
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

In my opinion, one of the absolute best drummers on the planet is Sheila E...male, female, it really shouldn't matter (although I know some people don't feel that way)....welcome, sonorgirl, and don't ever let anyone discourage you because you're female. And personally, I find that most female musicians don't have the egos and attitude problems that a lot of male musicians do.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Skillet Is Amazing Yo

Comatose

That Cd Is Amazing

Whoooo
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

good point bigtall

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amputechture
    Skillet Is Amazing Yo

Comatose

That Cd Is Amazing

Whoooo
    thats the cd i listen to most besides all my breaking benjamin.

User Info Menu

well to answer your question, if your good, male bands will accept you. hopefully.. lol
    all my band mates are guys. it did take them a while to consider letting me in just cuz im a girl but eventually they realized that im good and it doesnt matter so they let me in.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

yeah...i actually dont have anything to say i just wanted to post...

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat...I am new Myself,And so far everyone has been nice to me.Well about Girls in Male bands,I don't see anything wrong with it.I think that Women should be treated equal with men,But You know how the world works.People aren't all the same,And everyone is intitled to their own opinion.But You shouldn't have any problems joining a Band if You are a good Drummer.I can almost Guarantee that there's 500 Guitarist's for every drummer in the World.Good luck getting in a Band,I hope everything works our for You....

Check out my Band....

Bleeding Tears Of Tomorrow (Myspace)

Bleeding Tears Of Tomorrow (Site)

Sincerely,
    Keith...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SabianDrummerNC
    ...there's 500 Guitarist's for every drummer in the World.
    At least. I mean, who doesn't "play guitar" and, unless you're dang near an Eddie Van Halen, few will notice. With the rythm section, as long as you can keep time and don't step on the vocals or lead parts, there will always be opprtunities available. Also, being able to sing back-up is a gigantic plus, as far as making yourself marketable. A bit of showmanship doesn't hurt either. People don't have to go to a concert to hear music. They go to a show to be entertained. Play it like you mean it. Goof with your bandmates. Be animated. Don't just sit/stand there and play. Frankly, it's boring.

User Info Menu

I agree! The show is just as important as the music when playing live. If your just sitting or standing there, the crowds energy level is going to be nil to nothing. The best concerts I've gone to are where the band is active and includes the audience in the show. Since our lead singer has gone wireless, she interacts with the crowd a lot more and you can really tell a difference in the crowd response while we are playing.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

jarhead Guest

yeah...chick drummers rock....everybody nose that...lol

User Info Menu

i'm a girl in a guy band. sorta. we ain't exaclty a band. but we play in our church as a band for the contemparary worship service. FuN tImeS well anyways. i say girls and guys can be in eachothers bands. well anyways. welcome to this place sonorgirl, its awesome!!! by the way are you brunette?
    I'm Cassandra
    I love my boyfriend Derek
    and I love my two firebellytoads, named Heartburn and Mountain.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For i know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper not harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future.

http://www.myspace.com/loveonegod

drummonkey Guest

yeah i have nothing agist grils in bands but when there is no1 who is wellin to do something with us or didnt know how to play the insument

User Info Menu

First of all, WELCOME (to this forum and to the wonderful world of drumming!!)
    Now, about your question...
    I was in a rock/metal band where I was the only male. (Female singer, guitarist, & bassist). The other players in the band were some of the BEST players I've jammed with (male or female). So don't be discouraged if you're turned down or made fun of... Their closed minds will be their downfall. I feel that you need an open mind to be creative. Their closed minds will block their ability to make the best music they can. They will also be sorry they passed you up, when you're jamming with a different band and they see how good you really are.
    Use their ignorance as motovation to improve your skills and be the best drummer/musician you can be... that WE KNOW, you can be.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

Welcome Sonorgirl.

There will occasionally be musicians who aren't ready for female influence in their bands. I reckon if you're striving for perfection and being the best you can be, then your talent will overrule the part your sex plays on being chosen in a band.

Happy drumming,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

yeah uhhh i went to a bar late one saturday night (only 13 but didnt have no drinks ) soooo nevermind that i saw a band 2 guys and one girl. they can usually get accepted to bands it just depends on what kind of people you deal with. if your in a band with guys who think you have cooties wel........

User Info Menu

Welcome! As far as I'm concerned, if you're comfortable with playing, enjoy it, then I'm rooting for you. Go get 'em, girl!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sonorgirl
    i played ice hockey for eons, 10 years in a men's league, so i can hold my own with guys. but this is not sports, this is music.
    drumming is almost a sport anyways
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Resurrecting this one is for all our female members. I case you didn't know how the guys felt about you! As far as I'm concerned, a drummer is a drummer, and females have certainly proven that they are every much as good as a male.

I like feeling that men and women can support one another, instead of worrying about each other.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I like feeling that men and women can support one another, instead of worrying about each other.

Exactly PB! Thanks for resurrecting this......