Thread: Foam Rings

User Info Menu

Default Foam Rings

Do many of you guys use those foam rings that you can put under your batter head? I've always used them because I don't like a lot of ring. I guess from a distance thought they can muffle too much...especially when used with o-rings AND two ply hydrolic heads.

User Info Menu

I've used them before but didn't like them. I think they dampen too much.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

The only foam rings i've used are the ones that come with the E-MAD kick drum head. I feel the o-rings dampen my toms enough by themselves.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Often if you make a drum sound really good to you in the drivers seat. (behind the kit) often out front it sounds really dead and lifless. I found this out the hard way years ago. One of the people I play for is an Elton John impersonator. And he is dead on. We work vary hard to make it sound as exact as we can.. Most all of Eltons hits were recorded in the 70s and drums of that era were dead sounding. So in my efforts to achieve as accuratly as possiable the recorded sound of his hits, I chose to put thick two ply heads on my kit. They were Aqurian Performace IIs. They sonded great behind the kit, and not bad miced so I thought. One of our shows on one of our songs I let the conga player sit in and play so I counld hear my kit out front. Even micked and EQ'd I hated the way they sounded. just awful I thought! So I dumped those heads for just some simple Remo Emporers which are still two ply but not near as thick and I am much more happy with the result. What I am trying to say is a little ringng is a good thing. It provides a degree of presence in the mix. Especially if you play in accoustic and unmiced situations.