Thread: DTXpress IV Standard Vs. Special

User Info Menu

Default DTXpress IV Standard Vs. Special

Hey everyone,

I recently had a post up regarding whether an e-kit was the best way to go considering my position (university student) and have been given some very good advice by the members here.

I was at a small music store today and talked with the owner for a good hour and he convinced me that an e-kit was the way to go.

I had told him I was looking at the DTXpress IV so he was explained that to spend the extra $500 on the special as opposed to the standard was a better choice. (real hi-hat stand with trigger, extra cymbal, and tunable snare costing approx $900 if bought afterwards)

I know everyone says you can never have to many cymbals, but do you guys think that this upgrade is a good investment for someone who is just starting to drum once they get this kit, or would it be better to save the $500 and get the standard kit.

any advise that you could offer is really appreciated

User Info Menu

Default Re: DTXpress IV Standard Vs. Special

I went with the special bud, I liked the hats better and the snare has a volume control on it and a snare knob,[ which adjust the amount of snare/buzz you like . all the sounds are adjustable with 50 preset and 20 personal kits. good luck.
    if you are new to drumming i would advise an acoustic kit to start out with I realize acoustics are not always feasible.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

oh yeh the 2 cymbals are also chokable and the ride and crash are 3 zone, and foot splash's are possible but not great on the hats.\
    the extra crash is just a single zone non chokable.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply ratmycue.

I was just wondering, do the preset kits have a sound designated to the extra cymbal that you get with the special kit or do you have to make a new user kit to include it?

User Info Menu

its part of the preset and user kits and can be assigned any voice just like the other triggers/pad, it takes a feed off the kick pad.
    tone/pan/decay/volume, etc etc are a fantastic feature to making your own unique and groovy kits.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Go for it Snake! The extra cymbal is so nice to have.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

BTW, I love the avatar. Is that you on that Ninja, or just a cool pic you found somewhere?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

CycleDude, that's me at a race school in Shannonville

I'm actually thinking of buying a ZX-6R as my next bike, either an '08 or '09.

User Info Menu

Also, the special kit does include the splitter piece for the extra cymbal right? Or do I have to buy one sepperatly?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snake453 View Post
    Also, the special kit does include the splitter piece for the extra cymbal right? Or do I have to buy one sepperatly?
    splitter piece?!!
    it has a cable supplied from the kick pad, , just mount the cymbal on boom arm supplied and plug it in .

Official cowbell hater.