Thread: Counting

User Info Menu

Default Counting

Saw another thread about counting and there is something that no-one mentioned. It's SO important I thought I would start another thread to explain it. the other thread was about 3/4, I'll explain it in 4/4 but it applies in just about all time signatures.

Counting in 4/4.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 2 + 3 + 4 + etc.

Why? well, when you are reading music, in 99% of situations, 99% of the time, you are counting repeat bars. Often regular numbers, but not always. The bar counts are usually put above the stave, (and if they're not, I pencil them in,) so you know that it is say a 4 bar intro, followed by 15 bars of verse, followed by a one bar fill, followed by a chorus etc. This gets particularly important playing odd numbers of bars, where there is say a nine bar section, then you have to know exactly how many bars you have played. I once saw a drummer, I kid you not, following a chart with this finger to make sure he didn't get lost!

With practice, the above counting method becomes an unconscious habit, and you will NEVER get lost in a section of a chart again.

cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Counting

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Saw another thread about counting and there is something that no-one mentioned. It's SO important I thought I would start another thread to explain it. the other thread was about 3/4, I'll explain it in 4/4 but it applies in just about all time signatures.

Counting in 4/4.

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 4 + 2 + 3 + 4 + etc.

Why? well, when you are reading music, in 99% of situations, 99% of the time, you are counting repeat bars. Often regular numbers, but not always. The bar counts are usually put above the stave, (and if they're not, I pencil them in,) so you know that it is say a 4 bar intro, followed by 15 bars of verse, followed by a one bar fill, followed by a chorus etc. This gets particularly important playing odd numbers of bars, where there is say a nine bar section, then you have to know exactly how many bars you have played. I once saw a drummer, I kid you not, following a chart with this finger to make sure he didn't get lost!

With practice, the above counting method becomes an unconscious habit, and you will NEVER get lost in a section of a chart again.

cheers

Andy
    So true , after a while you just do it in your head.

Welcome to the forum to .

User Info Menu

An excellent point AndyC! Thanks for the input, and welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome to the DC! Yeah, I do count when I am starting to learn a song until it is near perfect. Eventually, I'll end up playing just by feel and start experimenting with the intro and fills.

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC! I'm new myself, but have been playing dums a few years. When I started out I used to count in my head, but now, even when I'm learning a new song, I don't count. At least not conciously anyway. Not even when I recently learned Endless Sacrifice by Dream Theater....and this is Mike Portnoy and his change of time sigs.

I feel so proud
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Chazbo View Post
    Welcome to DC! I'm new myself, but have been playing dums a few years. When I started out I used to count in my head, but now, even when I'm learning a new song, I don't count. At least not conciously anyway. Not even when I recently learned Endless Sacrifice by Dream Theater....and this is Mike Portnoy and his change of time sigs.

I feel so proud
    Another Brit from across the big pond..good to see ya , welcome to the board .

User Info Menu

looks like a good method to me but pretty hard to get used to

User Info Menu

Absolutely correct! You need to count the measures. Very important especially when playing in 4 bar phrases, 8 bars or in 12 bar blues . Going along with this is developing the ear to listen for the chord progressions which will also corelate to the number of measures. In other words..."Feeling" the music. Like I've said many times, there's a whole lot more to playing the drums than just banging on them.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Chazbo View Post

I feel so proud
    If you're never going to read, I guess it's not really necessary to count, but I always say, of every 1000 pounds I earned in my career, I earned 999 of them because I could read.

Andy

Larrysperf Guest

I count even when I practice . I think it is just habit for melol

User Info Menu

I count out loud. Welcome to Drum Chat!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I count out loud. Welcome to Drum Chat!
    I can hear you from here lolAlso bassist you have some of the coolist tops
    Last edited by Larrysperf; 12-10-2008 at 07:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat AndyC.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Hey. thanks for all the welcomes guys. This seems a cool friendly place. I'll probably be spending quite a bit of time here now I'm back into drumming.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Cool AndyC, it's great to have you here!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Not to start any "Fires" but one thing I used to tell all of my students...

"If you can COUNT it, you can play it. If you can't and still played it, it was a lucky guess. Don't just be Lucky."
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Frank, I do agree that being an intuitive play is a great thing, but you will go further if you learn to count, and read. Learning to count will ingrain the basics of music theory. I remember when I was playing the clarinet, back in 6th grade, the music teacher had us clap out, and count the beat before we played it. It still works to this day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Not to start any "Fires" but one thing I used to tell all of my students...

"If you can COUNT it, you can play it. If you can't and still played it, it was a lucky guess. Don't just be Lucky."
    nice quote frank
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered