Thread: Help needed to break link between right foot and right hand?

User Info Menu

Default Help needed to break link between right foot and right hand?

I am struggling to play bass drum and hi hat at diff speeds or beats can any one help?

User Info Menu

Hi Novice Drummer, welcome to Drum Chat!
    This answer is going to sound over-simplified but... slow it "way" down. I'm talking "very" slow. Then do the beat repetitively until you start getting it. DO NOT speed it up until you've got the cooridiation happening first.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

that's right....when first starting out that's one of the most tedeous things to do...just go slow and do it untill ur blue in the face and then do it some more and then after a few more times u'll eventually get it.....just keep practicing

User Info Menu

relax.....

User Info Menu

that is probly the hardest thing about drumming. It takes coordination, and to build that coordination, just keep on practicing. It comes to all drummers at one point, so dont worry

One thing you might want to do is get personal drum lessons. Thats helped me a LOT.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Default Re: Help needed to break link between right foot and right hand?

Try RKRKRK etc between your floor tom and the kick drum. Alternate between the two while keeping steady time. Quarter notes, 8ths, and 16ths. Like the above stated, start slow. I needed something like this to break up the muscle habits I had developed. You also add a nasty tool for fills. I have always liked the big bottom end fills that work between Kick and floor toms. Hope this makes sense and might be of help. I also hope I understood your question correctly.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Count aloud. It really helps!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I agree with everyone, slow it down and really THINK about what you're doing. Try beats that require you to play two kicks for every hi-hat hit occasionally. That was a nice transition for me instead of completely severing my limbs

User Info Menu

Slow it down, look at the tab thats what really helped me.
    Here is your first assignment...And one that really helped me get rid of the problem. Its simple but when you are starting out your right hand will inevitably hit the hi hat on that second bass drum note.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g020yvXy9HM&feature=related"]YouTube - Muse-Micro Cuts at Wembley (Haarp)[/ame]
    http://www.911tabs.com/link/?3642095

try it without the splashes first (just plain ole hi hats) then add in stuff as you go along. I found this song gave me a real understanding of separation.

You can do it!