Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sabian AA/AAX any good

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian AA/AAX any good

It's brand new. Looks like the answer is yes. The next question - am I better off buying a used XS20 Medium Ride for $117 or a brand new AAX stage ride for $200. According to the pictures and seller description there are only stick marks on XS20. My long term intention is to be able to play heavy metal type music, but I am not going to limit myself to it...
    I checked the sounds of both on www.sabian.com and must say that I personally think that XS20 better fits heavy metal as it has a higher pitch sound. The price is also much more attractive. It is quite a bit thinner and lighter than AAX, though. Does that make a cymbal more prone to damage?
    Last edited by duxan1; 01-02-2009 at 09:08 AM.

User Info Menu

I use the 20" AAX Stage ride with a rehearsal drum kit where my big band rehearses. Beautiful cymbal for light playing and jazz...would not see it in heavy metal applications. $200 seems a bit high to me considering I bought 21" Istanbul AGOP Hand Made Turkish Big Band Ride for $245 new (50% off retail). However, due to instability in the Middle East and metals be allocated more towards armaments, I have seen prices on cymbals rise considerably the last couple of years.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks. XS20 it is then!

User Info Menu

Just found a brand new XS20 rock ride closer to home in Canada at www.axemusic.com. Comes to about CAD181 with the delivery and taxes, which is approximately USD148. I'd have to pay customs clearance and tax on the used one on ebay, which would bring the costs up to ~USD130-135. For the difference I'd rather go for a brand new one. Plus, the one I got is actually a rock ride, which is a bit heavier than medium. Pretty decent, eh?

User Info Menu

Sounds like a pretty decent purchase to me. I saw a used 20" XS20 Rock Ride at a local music store when I was getting ready to upgrade my ride, and I thought it had a pretty good sound. I eventually went with a used 20" AAX Studio Ride, but I still thought the XS20 was a nice sounding ride.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    I have a 16 and 17 AAX dark crash and love them. Right up there with my K dark. Not as good as the K but close.
    lol sorry I mean LOL

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    I use the 20" AAX Stage ride with a rehearsal drum kit where my big band rehearses. Beautiful cymbal for light playing and jazz...would not see it in heavy metal applications. $200 seems a bit high to me considering I bought 21" Istanbul AGOP Hand Made Turkish Big Band Ride for $245 new (50% off retail). However, due to instability in the Middle East and metals be allocated more towards armaments, I have seen prices on cymbals rise considerably the last couple of years.
    Explosions I agree but AAX stage crashed are greatsorry your talkin rides missed that, but I do play 20 stage ride and have had no problems so far touch wood

User Info Menu

Oops, i responded to what was said on the first page.

The XS20 ride is very nice, it is considered a "discount cymbal because it is the cheapest B20 cymbals that sabian makes. I have the 16" and 18" crashes and absolutley love them.

You will be happy with either of the rides, so if i were you i would go to a store and see if you can try the Xs20 and AAX series
    Last edited by Zeta; 01-02-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I have Sabian AAX Crash and Splash, I think used you can do a bit better in fact even new. AAX are middle line cymbals. I also have Paiste PST5 Rock ride of which I love and its not the high end of Paiste. I have Zildjain ZBT4, I started with these and like them but I do not like the Ride.

If you know what they sound like and you think the price is worth it, then get what you want. Good luck and let us know what you decided to do.
    Last edited by Tazmania; 01-02-2009 at 03:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Already paid for XS20 Rock Ride. I also watched a video of some bearded dude playing and kinda advertizing XS20's on Sabian web site. Totally love the sound. Exactly what I was looking for. AAX sounds a bit too low for my taste. The price looked right as well. I checked a few other online stores (there are no musical instrument stores in the small town I live in). If one considers shipping, taxes and duties, I couldn't have gotten it any cheaper. Plus, I am getting a free Sabian tour jacket with it

User Info Menu

I love Sabian AA's and AAX's. They are pro cymbals all the way. I have had and played many of both series over the years. Good luck. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army