Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabian AA/AAX any good

User Info Menu

Default Sabian AA/AAX any good

Im planning on getting the "gretsch catalina club MOD" and I think these cymbals would sound good with them...well, what do you think?!?!?!?!?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian AA/AAX any good

those cymbals will sound good with any kit. The AA and AAX lines are both Professional grade.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

Larrysperf Guest

I play AAX and love them wouldnt play anything else, other than HH

User Info Menu

I personally like the sound of the AA's over the AAX's, try em out at home though, see what you like best.

The AA Med. Thin 17 inch crash, and 21 inch raw bell ride are my favorites, with the vault hi-hats. If only I had some money.

User Info Menu

AA is a vintage bright, so great for jazz, and most rock
    AAX is modern bright, so good for any type of rock.

so it really depends if you want a vintage sound or modern sound, that all
    -Steven

User Info Menu

AAX is more of my style.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Racoon!

I am also partial to the Sabian AAX over the AA. I played the AA while I was taking lessons, and I just never really liked the sound much. I have the 14" Sabian Vault hi-hats, and a 20" Sabian AAX Studio Ride to go with my Zildjian A Custom crashes. In the end, it's all about what sounds right to your ears, and remember that cast cymbals can all sound slightly different, so when buying individual cymbals, always take you cymbals with you when you are evaluating a new cymbal to make sure it will fit in well. Getting all the cymbals in the same environment will help you evaluate.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

When you get to that plateau of quality with any of the major cymbal makers, they are all good. At this point you more or less have to match the sounds of the cymbals to your style of playing. I own Zildjian A Customs which I have on my Starclassic Bubinga kit. I also have the Zildjian As on my Yamaha kit. Between the two, the A Customs seem a bit more brighter and musical compared to the As, but the As are no slouches. I also just bought the Sabian HHX Evolutions. These cymbals are really musical and blend very well with one another. I particularly like the 14" Evolution high hats.

pastor_bob has a very good point in taking your other cymbals with you when buying new cymbals for proper evaluation. Two or three cymbals of the exact same make and manufacturer may all sound quite different. I found this more so when purchasing my Zildjian As. I like to be able to hit two different crashes and have the tones merge, not clash, if that makes any sense. It's like hitting a finely tuned drum without any pitch bending.

Dennis

User Info Menu

I have a 16 and 17 AAX dark crash and love them. Right up there with my K dark. Not as good as the K but close.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Audio Tech...where abouts in S. Central PA are you from? One of the very finest drummers I have ever come to know is in the Scranton and Wilkes-Barre area...Billy Angelo Stella. Myself, I am originally from the Southern Tier area of New York.

BTW, It's apparent, from reading your posts, that you are very aware of drumming and your part with it. That is terrific. You have a great deal to share and I am certain that many of us appreciate it.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I have 15", 16", and 18" in the AAX , I play Rock, and I would,nt swap em.
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Audio Tech...where abouts in S. Central PA are you from? One of the very finest drummers I have ever come to know is in the Scranton and Wilkes-Barre area...Billy Angelo Stella. Myself, I am originally from the Southern Tier area of New York.

BTW, It's apparent, from reading your posts, that you are very aware of drumming and your part with it. That is terrific. You have a great deal to share and I am certain that many of us appreciate it.
    Thank you very much for the kind words. I reside just south of our capital city. I moved here about 34 years ago after getting hired by a CBS affiliate. This also got me closer to the Philadelphia and the Maryland markets. Billy Angelo does ring a bell, but for the life of me I can't connect the name. At my age I have to write my birth date on the back of my hand to remember how old I am. I do take pride that when I post a response, it is entirely from my own personal experience, unless otherwise stated.

Thanks again and sorry for the hyjack.

Dennis

User Info Menu

I really like the AAX xcellerator hats and the AAX crashes. I have owned a 20" Vault ride that was perhaps the best sounding ride I have owned to date! Great cymbals the AAXs! -Les

User Info Menu

I tried a set of AAX-celerator hats & absolutely loved them. They are going to be my next purchase after the holiday season.
    Tama Starclassic Performer Birch with Remo Pinstripe Heads
    Gold Crush Giltter finish 8"x10", 9"x12" Mount Toms & 12"x14"& 14"x16" Floor Toms - 18" x 22" Bass
    OCDP 14x7 Steel Vented Snare
    Tama Hardware - Iron Cobra Pedals & HH stand
    Sabian AAX & HHX Cymbals

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Sabian AA/AAX any good

Dennis,,,Welcome To The"Age Challenged Sector Club" Of
    Drumchat ....There's Safety In Numbers For Those Of Us Who Do Dat "Old Folks Boogie"(Little Feat) Thxs For Joinin Brothers Frank.Charlie(Bongobro)and I On The "(almost) Old As Dirt Panel"....Yer Opinions Are More Than Welcome Here And I Myself Look Forward To Sharing Many A Thot With You,,,,
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

i was debating on whether to get the sabian aax or zildjian custom a or the zildjian pitch black haha i know im not getting those anymore but im probably there at a good price and sound nice with any style what do u guys think ?
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Shabutie, if price is not an issue, I would say to stay away from the Zildjian Pitch Black cymbals. Just about everyone around feels that they just don't measure up to the pro quality. On the other hand, The Sabian AAX and the Zildjian A Custom cymbals are excellent pro quality. They are similar cymbals in that they are both modern bright. The key is for you to hear them for yourself, because your own ears will tell you which one sounds better to you. I have both on my kit - a 20" AAX Studio Ride, a 16" A Custom crash, and an 18" A Custom Fast Crash. I just didn't like the A Custom rides that I heard, and I found an AAX ride that fit in well.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

ok thank you pastor bob yeah i tryed the pitch blacks and they arnt good at all well i dont wanna goover 750 so im going to guitar center tomorrow and if i get them tomorrow ill put up a pic of my kit
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9

User Info Menu

Cool, and good luck on the purchase!

User Info Menu

thanks
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Audio Tech...It's apparent, from reading your posts, that you are very aware of drumming and your part with it. That is terrific. You have a great deal to share and I am certain that many of us appreciate it.
    Audio Tech, I just want to say that I have also noticed your willingness to share your considerable experience with us. As one who still has a great deal to learn, I certainly appreciate it too.

User Info Menu

i have found that if you are not near a store that you can listen to the cymbals, go to thier website and listen to them, thats what I had to do, and I hope that when I get my cymbals, that they sound the way they did on the website!!
    Fat Pat, show us your drums page 138, post 3429
    always chang'n sumth'n

User Info Menu

The drummer of Coheed and Cambria, Chris Pennie, uses the AA series, and i would love to have some in the future, but the xs20's are great for me now.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Hi, a newbe question here: is $200 a good price for AAX 20" stage ride?

User Info Menu

First of all, welcome to Drum Chat Duxan1!

The answer to your question is a big maybe. It all depends on the condition of the cymbal. Since you can get it brand new for $265 online, I would have to say that for $200 I would want it to be in excellent condition.