Thread: First Impressions of My Yammy Gigmakers

User Info Menu

Default First Impressions of My Yammy Gigmakers

Hiya.

I was looking to get back into playing after a long layoff, didn't want to spend a lot of money and didn't need the pro quality I used to have. I spent some time on t'internet and in local music shops, and after a lot of deliberation, decided on a set of Yamaha Gigmaker Studios. I had my cymbals and Bass pedal from my playing days, and apart from an extra Cymbal stand and a mini boom clamp, I have resolved not to spend any more on it till it starts paying for itself.

Sizes BD 20x16, Snare 14x5 and 10, 12 and 14 inch Toms.

So far only played these quickly at a friend's house, but am REALLY impressed.

Bass Drum,
    solid, punchy, with good tone as well, not totally convinced about the durability of the head though and will probably put something a bit thicker on soon.

Snare, didn't have a lot of time to tune properly, the head will probably be the first thing I replace on the kit, sounds a bit, "boingy" with the standard head supplied. Improved with damping, and with time I may be able to get a good sound out of it, but will invest some of first gig fee in a new batter head. It is responsive at all volume levels.

Toms, I only play a 4 piece, so used the 10 and 14. even with the heads supplied they sounded really good. they had impact and definition, but still with plenty of tone.

Hardware. The supplied hardware is obviously cheap and light, but certainly up to the job. The Tom holder keeps everything in place and doesn't rattle, I've used the now spare hole on the holder to mount the boom arm for my ride cymbal. The Hi-hat isn't adjustable for tension, and felt a little light for me at first, but after a few minutes playing was fine. The cymbal stand is lightweight, but plenty stable enough for anything I'll want, (and I'm not a light hitter.) The snare stand feels a little flimsy, but doesn't move when played. The star of the proceedings is the Bass pedal. Lightweight, strap drive, and only the spring tension is adjustable, but it's light, smooth, silent and responsive. Put it this way, I initially only set it up to see if it worked ok, I was planning on putting my DW pedal on to have some fun, but I kept the Yammy on all the time.

Overall. There are obviously compromises to get down to this price, but overall the kit seems solid, and sounds good. Apart from a couple of changes of head, I can't see me wanting to upgrade this for a long long time.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Default Re: First Impressions of My Yammy Gigmakers

Great review, Andy.

Thanks!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hey Andy...Welcome to the Forum. You certainly know what it is to look for in choosing your equipment. That is something a lot of us need to know about. Thanks for posting your impressions. I was particularly interested in what you said about your bass drum. I also play with a 16 x 20 and am very happy with the sound and response. I eventually ended up with the Aquarian Force 1 clear batter...reduced some of the resonance while adding just a little more punch. I used to have a felt strip muffle until I put on the Remo Ebony reso head. That really helped. It too is a 4pc. set with 13" and 16" toms. Remo coated Ambassador batter with Remo clear Diplomat reos. Excellent sound and response.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Thank you for such a comprehensive review Andy! It's really helpful to have information like that.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

now there is a smart guy who gets the best for his buck, well done.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Very nice review Andy!

I have to ask where you're from, because I have not seen a Yamaha Gigmaker kit around here, and I'm not certain they're sold in the US?
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Nice review Andy, it is nice to have you here!

User Info Menu

Hey Andy (typed with my best Don Knotts impression)
    Yamaha Gigmakers..? you dont mean HipGigs like these...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Very nice review Andy!

I have to ask where you're from, because I have not seen a Yamaha Gigmaker kit around here, and I'm not certain they're sold in the US?
    I'm a Brit living in Spain. I think the Gigmaker grew out of the Rydeen range at one time. It may still be called that in the USA.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Hey Andy (typed with my best Don Knotts impression)
    Yamaha Gigmakers..? you dont mean HipGigs like these...

Hi, no it's not a hipgig. Though I saw Dave Weckle play one of those and they sound Brilliant. Particularly when you consider the size.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Yamaha Gigmakers are great kits at great prices! Congrats and good review

User Info Menu

awesome review, info like this makes things a bit easier to understand when looking at for kit.

User Info Menu

congrats on the purchase! and good to have more people with a yammy!
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

I have been a Yamaha fan since the late 80's, have a vintage kit and early 90's recording custom kit with a Manue katche snare and a cheaper stage custom snare as well a preimer Jazz kit while Yamaha owned them, been looking at the 40th aniversary kit to complete my collection? Yamaha Rocks.