Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Grip

User Info Menu

Default Traditional Grip

I know where the traditional grip came from and I'm very familiar with it. I know that some percussionists use traditional on set. Most I see use matched but some do use traditional. But from the videos that I have seen of percussionists in the 60's or before on drum set are always playing tradition grip? Why is that?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Traditional Grip

dont know. ask someone with a brain

User Info Menu

Traditional grip came from military marching bands as this was the only way to comfortably get the left hand to the drum head. When these players started to play kit, they used the same grip, and when they taught, they taught this grip. Therefore the guys who'd been trained played traditional, guys who copied them played traditional.

This really only started to change in the 60's with people copying the likes of Ringo, playing relatively simpler stuff, and wanting more power and wanting to learn quicker.

Check out http://www.vicfirth.com/education/dr...mfamularo.html . Seventh one down the page is Dom famularo talking about traditional grip. Some BRILLIANT other stuff on here as well.

Still some great players today play traditional, check out Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckle and Steve Gadd. Also Vergil Donati and Dom Famularo for real speed/power players.

Myself, I usually play traditional. but somehow, in some songs, traditional just feels funkier.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

I started rehearsing traditional grip when I, being a right-hander, somehow had problems to get my left hand as fast and controlled as the right hand. Traditional grip psychologically solved my problem cause now I had something the left knew better than the right!
    Today I switch often during songs, use whichever seems more comfortable for the musical situation. That'd be, for the soft indie style I most often play, about 80% traditional and 20% rock grip.
    cheers,
    felix

User Info Menu

no one every really "started" traditional grip. it actually came from, like the guy a couple of threads up said, a millitary style. the reason for this grip was due the angle the drum rested during marching. the drums were on slings, not harness' causing the drum to fall at an angle. this grip with the left hand made it easier to get good contact with the drum, as you were holding the stick at a more natural angle.

next time you watch a jazz player, check out the angle his snare is sitting at. it's farely harsh to the right.

once drums began to flaten out on stands or harness' the match grip or african grip came to be the popular choice.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Duckofdeath! Felix, it feels like there's a great story behind that name!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atlfire View Post
    no one every really "started" traditional grip. it actually came from, like the guy a couple of threads up said, a millitary style. the reason for this grip was due the angle the drum rested during marching. the drums were on slings, not harness' causing the drum to fall at an angle. this grip with the left hand made it easier to get good contact with the drum, as you were holding the stick at a more natural angle.

next time you watch a jazz player, check out the angle his snare is sitting at. it's farely harsh to the right.

once drums began to flaten out on stands or harness' the match grip or african grip came to be the popular choice.

That's been my understanding too Jesse.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    That's been my understanding too Jesse.
    Same here. I use T grip sometimes depending on the tune...but when I am letting it loose, M grip for me!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

trad grip rules!!
    bring it on suckers.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Traditional grip, as stated, comes from the playing the Side Drum which is what the marching snare drum had been called. When marching, the drum rested on the players left side. Playing in this position required a hand grip which became known as the Traditional grip. This has been passed on for generations; from instructor to pupil. Interestingly enough, the traditional grip is not the most natural way to grip the sticks. What we call "Matched grip" is really the Natural way to hold the sticks. This came more into fashion through the influence of competitive Drum & Bugle Corps. Holders were devised to keep the marching snare stationary and forward thus easing the marching and manuevering by drummers. As this postion was more "Levelled," the Natural, or matched grip, gained favor. Not only was it easier to instruct in, it allowed for more powerful playing and for changes within the Percussion sections. Mallet players could fill in on snare and quads and vice versa. Natural grip is conducive to playing a variety of instruments. Habits, however, do die hard and the Traditionalists keep our history alive and well. Many jazz drumset players will continue to use the Traditional grip. It allows for more finesse and dynamic control in playing whereas the Matched grip is more for those who play what I like to call Power Rock. When viewing drummers from both venues, take a good look at the position of their snare drums. A traditional player will keep this drum titled at a more severe angle to accomodate the left hand. I play big band jazz with a Traditional Grip but I also switch to a Matched Grip when playing Latin and Rock charts. I think that there will always be some discussion between the two grips...which is the better. My hope is that many of us will come to realize that either grip is just another tool for us to use. My friend, Ratmycue, might want to take me to task on this but he knows what I'm talking about...don't you, Rat?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Traditional grip, as stated, comes from the playing the Side Drum which is what the marching snare drum had been called. When marching, the drum rested on the players left side. Playing in this position required a hand grip which became known as the Traditional grip. This has been passed on for generations; from instructor to pupil. Interestingly enough, the traditional grip is not the most natural way to grip the sticks. What we call "Matched grip" is really the Natural way to hold the sticks. This came more into fashion through the influence of competitive Drum & Bugle Corps. Holders were devised to keep the marching snare stationary and forward thus easing the marching and manuevering by drummers. As this postion was more "Levelled," the Natural, or matched grip, gained favor. Not only was it easier to instruct in, it allowed for more powerful playing and for changes within the Percussion sections. Mallet players could fill in on snare and quads and vice versa. Natural grip is conducive to playing a variety of instruments. Habits, however, do die hard and the Traditionalists keep our history alive and well. Many jazz drumset players will continue to use the Traditional grip. It allows for more finesse and dynamic control in playing whereas the Matched grip is more for those who play what I like to call Power Rock. When viewing drummers from both venues, take a good look at the position of their snare drums. A traditional player will keep this drum titled at a more severe angle to accomodate the left hand. I play big band jazz with a Traditional Grip but I also switch to a Matched Grip when playing Latin and Rock charts. I think that there will always be some discussion between the two grips...which is the better. My hope is that many of us will come to realize that either grip is just another tool for us to use. My friend, Ratmycue, might want to take me to task on this but he knows what I'm talking about...don't you, Rat?
    I would never think of questioning your always precise and informed opinion on our beloved instrument, I do however agree that trad grip is far superior in the full control of subleties and dynamics of the snare drum. I do incorporate a lot of matched grip myself nowadays, but I will never have the full control and subleties while using matched as I do with trad.

Official cowbell hater.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    I would never think of questioning your always precise and informed opinion on our beloved instrument, I do however agree that trad grip is far superior in the full control of subleties and dynamics of the snare drum. I do incorporate a lot of matched grip myself nowadays, but I will never have the full control and subleties while using matched as I do with trad.
    Ok TEA time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spontaneous View Post
    I know where the traditional grip came from and I'm very familiar with it. I know that some percussionists use traditional on set. Most I see use matched but some do use traditional. But from the videos that I have seen of percussionists in the 60's or before on drum set are always playing tradition grip? Why is that?
    I'll add my two cents as the "short and sweet" answer.

Most percussionists in the 60's and prior used traditional grip because that's what they were taught was proper. I was likewise taught in the 60's that traditional grip was the proper way to hold your drum sticks.

However, I was always the kind of guy to do his own thing. Once I finished drum lessons I switched to matched grip. I rarely used trad grip anymore. I also play "open handed" which I was told in the 60's was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! You can't play that way!! Well I did then, and I do now, and only recently has open handed been recognized as an effective playing style.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

playing open handed is super cool =p
    are you ambidexterous, or why else did you choose to play this way?

User Info Menu

I play matched grip with sticks and traditional grip with brushes, why i don't know other than it just feels better when using brushes to play that way.

User Info Menu

JoJo Mayer's Secret Weapons demonstrates some really good technique using traditional grip.

User Info Menu

the match grip was actually first used in africa. i have my own variation of this. i have my thumbs up on both hands, rather than the knuckles up... i played tympani in school and it pretty much stuck.

User Info Menu

the match grip was actually first used in africa. i have my own variation of this. i have my thumbs up on both hands, rather than the knuckles up... i played tympani in school and it pretty much stuck.
    wierdo. hows it work for ya?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    wierdo. hows it work for ya?
    you realize how often i get that? it's crazyness!!

it works really, really, well actually. i'm a "finger" drummer i guess you could say. i use a lot of wrist of course but my fingers produce the speed. so the thumbs up top really help the rebound control.

here's another "jesseism" for ya. i leave the butt of the stick in my palm. most drummers find the balancing point and the butt sticks out of the back of their hand... well when i started playing i was in such tight quarters when i practiced that the butt of the stick would catch on my surroundings, so i tucked it in and it hasn't changed since. that's the weirdest part.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

HOLA como estas Mi amigo FIACOVAZ FRANK CRETIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) WITHIN GREAT WISDOM AWARE-NESS KNOWLEDGE * I agree with all you have stated EXCEPT * FOR ONE THING AS your aware of I PERFORM useing the OLD SCHOOLED TRADITIONAL GRIP
    BUT ! I forsure KNOW*THIS FOR A FACT , THAT I can CREATE MORE POWER from the TRADITIONAL GRIP with My left HAND AND useing this TRADITIONAL Grip I created A TECHNIQUE of which I NAMED THE LEFT HAND FAN STROKE (TECHNIQUE) which within VERY DISCIPLINED STRUCTURED CONTROL LETS the ARTIST DO within controled MOVEMENTS within the MOTIONS amazing ROLLS and MANY other very TEXTURED DYNAMIC ACCENTED &COLORED RHYTHMS **and also ,I use MANY KINDS OF grips MATCH & other grips between the fingers AND CAN do both GRIPS with EITHER HANDS Being VERY AMBIDEXTROUS * as for creating many other forms Of TECHNIQUES ***BOTH GRIPS ARE VERY VERY USEFUL** they are Both ROJO CALIENTE ** and the FAN STROKE TECHNIQUE CAN also
    be done useing the MATCH GRIP its Just a whole other (TECHNIQUE)
    AND what ever works for the CREATIVE OPEN MINDED ARTISTIC ARTIST is all great within their own Distinct UNIQUE ARTISTRY within all their JOURNEYS ** GRACIAS MOST of THE GREATEST JAZZ AND BEYOND DRUMMER ARTIST use the TRADIATIONAL GRIP as they are TRUE MASTERS *
    within this VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM *****
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 12-12-2008 at 12:07 AM.

User Info Menu

you realize how often i get that? it's crazyness!!

it works really, really, well actually. i'm a "finger" drummer i guess you could say. i use a lot of wrist of course but my fingers produce the speed. so the thumbs up top really help the rebound control.

here's another "jesseism" for ya. i leave the butt of the stick in my palm. most drummers find the balancing point and the butt sticks out of the back of their hand... well when i started playing i was in such tight quarters when i practiced that the butt of the stick would catch on my surroundings, so i tucked it in and it hasn't changed since. that's the weirdest part.
    wow, not much of a pivot point if the butt of the stick is in your palm!!
    but if it works for you then cool.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON;140948]******

CAN do both GRIPS with EITHER HANDS Being VERY AMBIDEXTROUS * as for creating many other forms Of TECHNIQUES ***BOTH GRIPS ARE VERY VERY USEFUL** they are Both ROJO CALIENTE ** and the FAN STROKE TECHNIQUE CAN also
    be done useing the MATCH GRIP its Just a whole other (TECHNIQUE)

I can do the two handed trad grip too, I sometimes use it between tip of sticks on the hats and the butt on the snare[rh] in a rocking motion, also between two close crash cymbals, it gives like you say the fan motion.

how do you attain equal or more power from a downstroke when using trad grip compared to matched? I am untrigued.
    Last edited by ratmycue; 12-12-2008 at 06:42 AM.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

When I first picked-up a pair of sticks my dad taught me how to correctly hold them, this was my first experience with the traditional grip and this was in the late 1950s. A lot of things have changed since then, but I still use this grip about 80% of the time. Match grip comes in handy also and is a very comfortable way of holding the sticks.

Sometimes if I'm in a hurry to set up my Yamaha kit, I might not have my 8" tom exactly in the correct place. When playing with the traditional grip, I sometimes find myself hitting my high hat with my left hand when playing the 8" tom, I quickly shift to match grip until I can get that tom in its correct place.

I think it's a good idea to know and use both grips especially if you play jazz. I don't know of many jazz players that use the match grip.

It's early here and I hope I made some sense.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Hey guys/gals...here's a test for you. Left Hand Matched Grip...lift middle finger and ring finger off stick. This leaves only the fulcrum and pinky finger on the stick. Now play and see what it's like for you. Second part...Left Hand Traditional Grip...lift middle finger completely off the stick, bend pinky finger underneath the ring finger. Now play. This is what it's like for me. I lost half of my middle finger in an accident when I was a kid and have broken my left hand and ring/pinky fingers a few times. I cannot separate these two figers. I can play this way but I have to constantly guard against losing the grip. With matched grip, I have to use wrist motion only. To gain the visual perspective. hold your left hand up with fingers spread apart. Bend the middle finger down so all you see is the middle knuckle. That's my left hand.

BTW, I am the life the Party. I hold my left hand up to my face so that the knuckle is agaist the nostril...get the picture?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I have to play matched, as I don,t so much play my kit, as attack it. With trad grip I would need 50 sticks in the bag ha!
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html