Thread: My first "Lesson in hand drumming"

User Info Menu

Default My first "Lesson in hand drumming"

Well yesterday at lessons, I mentioned to my teacher that I wanted to get some congos and such. So he though me some basics, I had no idea how many diffrent sounds you can get out of one drum!! Is it true that you only play with your pointer finger?! Ahh so many questions, I can't wait intill I get some hand drums

-Fred

User Info Menu

Default Re: My first "Lesson in hand drumming"

Yeah Hand Drums are harder than they look! There are a lot of techniques used. Bongo Bro will be proud of ya!

User Info Menu

Is it true that you only play with your pointer finger?!
    This is in no way true what so ever, I hope this was a typo and not something that your teacher told you, please clarify??? Glad to hear you are getting interested in hand drumming, they are a lot of fun to play. Feel free to ask any questions, there is a lot of good knowledge on this board.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: My first "Lesson in hand drumming"

Did somebody bawl for da b-bro? (take-off of a very, very old radio show)

Fred, I don't know who is teaching you, but every part of the hand is used in hand drumming...your fingertips for martillos, your palm for slaps, your fingers and the heel of your hand for the tumbao beat, etc. It is possible your teacher is starting you literally at the first step, and you'll encounter more tricks as you go along.

With learning and practice, you'll be able to get dozens of sounds out of two hands and one drum...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Is it true that you only play with your pointer finger?! Ahh so many questions, I can't wait intill I get some hand drums

-Fred[/QUOTE]

Not sure if the pointer finger counts. Lets see....There's the open, slap, heel, toe, muff, palm, nail tips, side fist and elbow. Thats nine but there maybe more. What ever you do....have fun and there's lot's of beginners videos out there. Heres a cool dude who has a lot of good step by step videos.
    L4C
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKbv_...e=channel_page

User Info Menu

Cool Re: My first "Lesson in hand drumming"

It does if you play very, very lightly! (but what hand drummer among us plays lightly, L4C? )
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck