Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cajon Talk!

User Info Menu

Default Cajon Talk!

Just found this site.
    I have a Meinl string cajon and soon will have a bongo cajon. I really like these instruments but my wife and kids think otherwise.
    Had a chance to play at church for the first time with a friend at worship service. It was fun and scary at the same time. I goofed up several times but few caught it. I hope.

Any cajon players out there?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BongoCajon; 04-15-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Add picture

User Info Menu

I don't have one but I've always liked them. I played the Meinl one you're talking about in the store the other day. It rocked!

Welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cajon Talk!

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I don't have one but I've always liked them. I played the Meinl one you're talking about in the store the other day. It rocked!

Welcome to Drum Chat!
    Thanks drummer! Did you like the sizzle/snare effect? The only part I don't like is sometimes it has a ring sound/vibration that is annoying. I hear it more when playing on a hard surface so I have to keep adjusting the string tension until I hear it less. I can't wait for the bongo version!

BC

User Info Menu

Hey BongoCajon

I play Cajon as well. Mine is a "Fat Conga" Stringed Cajon.
    They rock.

I've played a Meinl before as well but prefer the Fat Conga so far out of all the cajons I've tried.

I've never tried a Bongo Cajon though...

Cheers
    Jackstraw
    DW Collectors Series

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    Hey BongoCajon

I play Cajon as well. Mine is a "Fat Conga" Stringed Cajon.
    They rock.

I've played a Meinl before as well but prefer the Fat Conga so far out of all the cajons I've tried.

I've never tried a Bongo Cajon though...

Cheers
    Sweet! What do you like about your "Fat Congo" vs the Meinl?
    How does the "Fat Congo" adjust the string tension?
    Do you ever get an annoying rattle or hum from the strings that needs adjusting?

User Info Menu

Good to have you here bongocajon! Lots of cool percussionists in this section with a lot of knowledge to share, so feel free to ask any questions.

On the topic, I love the cajon, I don't own one, but have played a few and think they are a blast to play. I attempted to build my own a few years ago, but I failed miserably :(. I'd like to get a set of conga cajons, I've never played any, but they look like they would be pretty cool. Let us know how the bongo cajon sounds when you get it.

By the way, I have heard great things about Fat Congas, thanks for the review Jackstraw.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Let us know how the bongo cajon sounds when you get it.
    I just got it today. But it's my Christmas present. The wife took it to wrap it. I will let you know after the 25th Gretschhead.

Last edited by su_admin; 12-16-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Commercial Link

User Info Menu

I had a blast last night preparing for some Christmas song's for Sunday church service.
    My pastors son and I went up to the worship leaders place with our Cajon's and we did percussion together while him and his wife sang and played Electric and Acoustic guitars. 3 hrs. of absolute bliss! I did lead and my pastors son did whatever he wanted!
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Hey BC, I don't play cajon, but I do play drums in church, and we have a 15-year-old hand percussionist who plays cajon, djembe, and bongos. He's quite good, and when the two of us are in sync on a tune it can really sound great.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Hey BC, I don't play cajon, but I do play drums in church, and we have a 15-year-old hand percussionist who plays cajon, djembe, and bongos. He's quite good, and when the two of us are in sync on a tune it can really sound great.
    Norske,
    I hear you on that one! There's nothing like it when your in sync. It puts smiles on everyone's face who is singing or playing an instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Sweet! What do you like about your "Fat Congo" vs the Meinl?
    How does the "Fat Congo" adjust the string tension?
    Do you ever get an annoying rattle or hum from the strings that needs adjusting?
    Hey man,

Fat Conga Cajons' have a 4 wire design that has tuning pegs inside that tighten/lossenen the wires.

Never been annoyed with the rattle. I play mine mostly mic'd through a D112 which gives great bottom end and suprisingly good high end for the snare sound.

Also, the fat conga has 2 playing surfaces, the front is a stringed cajon, and the back is a regular cajon. So, There are two different sounds that can be played with 1 cajon.

As for why which one is better.... I believe that is a personal choice. It seemed to me that the ply thickness of the face of the Fat Conga was thinner (3 ply I beleive...I may be wrong though) and just had a better feel altogether. As for the sound, as I stated, personally find it to have a more rounded, deeper/ snappier sound. BUT, that is just my opinion.
    I have talked to other players who have other makes of cajons, and they feel that way about their's as well.
    I feel, once you get into a quality of cajon, or any type of percussion equipment, that is considered pro quality(such as Meinl, Fat Conga, etc), it's more a personal preference that comes into play, as they're all gonna sound good!!

Cheers
    Last edited by Jackstraw; 12-18-2008 at 03:22 PM.
    Jackstraw
    DW Collectors Series

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    Hey man,

Fat Conga Cajons
    I will invest in one soon! That will make my arsenal serious!

1-Meinl String Cajon
    1-Meinl Bongo Cajon
    1-Fat Cajon

User Info Menu

bringing this thread back from the dead, but im thinking of ordering one soon. Recomendations for an entry level pro. model. Looking at the Meinl ones starting around 110$, sound like a good deal?

User Info Menu

I have a Meinl string cajon with the burled maple faceplate. I enjoy mine. There are many, many things that you can do with them and sounds that you can get out of them. I play mine with soft nylon brushes a lot of them time and get a great sound that way. The burled maple faceplate looks great too.

The only negative is that the string/sizzle/snare adjustment is using 2 set screws in the bottom and it is difficult if not impossible to get the sizzle totally out of the instrument. Meinl makes a snare cajone that has an adjustment knob on the side that you can easily adjust the sizzle effect.

Get a padded bag with it if you will be taking it around, cause the wood is very thin. The string cajone comes in a package at most places with the bag.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    I have a Meinl string cajon with the burled maple faceplate. I enjoy mine. There are many, many things that you can do with them and sounds that you can get out of them. I play mine with soft nylon brushes a lot of them time and get a great sound that way. The burled maple faceplate looks great too.

The only negative is that the string/sizzle/snare adjustment is using 2 set screws in the bottom and it is difficult if not impossible to get the sizzle totally out of the instrument. Meinl makes a snare cajone that has an adjustment knob on the side that you can easily adjust the sizzle effect.

Get a padded bag with it if you will be taking it around, cause the wood is very thin. The string cajone comes in a package at most places with the bag.
    yes, I also had the same cajon. I broke one side of the string mechanism by the adjustment on the bottom of the drum. My friend has the snare cajon you mentioned and I like it accept the face when striked doesn't sound as crisp as the burled oak face that is on the string cajon in my opinion. I also used the brushes and they offered a great "Jazz" effect.

User Info Menu

yes, I also had the same cajon. I broke one side of the string mechanism by the adjustment on the bottom of the drum. My friend has the snare cajon you mentioned and I like it accept the face when striked doesn't sound as crisp as the burled oak face that is on the string cajon in my opinion. I also used the brushes and they offered a great "Jazz" effect.

I've considered and talked to some of the Meinl people about the fiberglass face plate that you can get now. I think that it may be better for playing with brushes (which is what I do most of the time). The brushes also wear the top of the plate and fiberglass would be more resistant.

User Info Menu

I think the cajon is awesome and I was thinking about one. Then I saw a vid of a dude playing one on the Meinl website and he kept bending down further to reach the bass tone. I started thinking this could be an uncomfortable instrument for a small person like me. I have also seen other vids on youtube where the player isn't bending over too much. Do you guys think it is comfortable to play?
    Lisa

Psalm 150:5
    Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

Drummer at Baptist church
    I like it syncopated and funky

Yamaha Hipgig
    Zildjian Special Dry ride
    Zildjian Constantinople crash
    Paiste 2002 hats
    Promark Crystal Ball beater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rat a tat tat View Post
    I think the cajon is awesome and I was thinking about one. Then I saw a vid of a dude playing one on the Meinl website and he kept bending down further to reach the bass tone. I started thinking this could be an uncomfortable instrument for a small person like me. I have also seen other vids on youtube where the player isn't bending over too much. Do you guys think it is comfortable to play?
    It isn't really necessary to play more than the top 1/3 of the face plate to achieve all the possible tones. The snare, slap and bass tones are all there. I also see people like you said bend over too much. You can play with fairly straight posture if played properly.

User Info Menu

It isn't really necessary to play more than the top 1/3 of the face plate to achieve all the possible tones. The snare, slap and bass tones are all there. I also see people like you said bend over too much. You can play with fairly straight posture if played properly.

Thank you! It is really great to get your assessment. I will test drive one sometime.
    Lisa

Psalm 150:5
    Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

Drummer at Baptist church
    I like it syncopated and funky

Yamaha Hipgig
    Zildjian Special Dry ride
    Zildjian Constantinople crash
    Paiste 2002 hats
    Promark Crystal Ball beater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rat a tat tat View Post
    I have the same type of Cajone as Bongocajone and there are many different styles now. I would assume that each has some different sounds associated with it.

I generally play the top half of the faceplate to get all of the sounds out of it. However, as I said before I play with brushes most of the time and that allows me to reach the lower portions of the plate. But, you can play any part of it, sometimes I play the sides also. The top corners are made to be able to loosen the screws that attach the faceplate and get a great slap sound out of it.

I suggest that you go test drive one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    I have the same type of Cajone as Bongocajone and there are many different styles now. I would assume that each has some different sounds associated with it.

I generally play the top half of the faceplate to get all of the sounds out of it. However, as I said before I play with brushes most of the time and that allows me to reach the lower portions of the plate. But, you can play any part of it, sometimes I play the sides also. The top corners are made to be able to loosen the screws that attach the faceplate and get a great slap sound out of it.

I suggest that you go test drive one.
    Dittos! My daughter us upset that I sold mine. Especially my little bongocajon.
    The cajons being light and portable are fantastic for small group settings, church worship and other situations were set up is non existent.

I used to set my bongo cajon on the front passenger seat and reach over and tap it or set it on my lap and play at stop lights.
    I added the picture of the cajons to the 1st. post.
    Last edited by BongoCajon; 04-15-2009 at 07:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Dittos! My daughter us upset that I sold mine. Especially my little bongocajon.
    The cajons being light and portable are fantastic for small group settings, church worship and other situations were set up is non existent.

I used to set my bongo cajon on the front passenger seat and reach over and tap it or set it on my lap and play at stop lights.
    I added the picture of the cajons to the 1st. post.
    I use mine mostly in lieu of a trap set. The band that I play with does not have a drummer, except me, so I play congas when appropriate, the cajon on songs needing more of a snare, sometimes my conga and snare, shakers and beaters, and I'm in the process of adding cymbals.

Below is a picture of my set-up:
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

envirodiver , nice set up. Sometimes I will set up my daughters congas with a ride cymbal and a crash cymbal . I play with a drum stick in my right hand to ride the cymbal and mallet in the left. Just something different.

User Info Menu

envirodiver,

I also find your percussion set-up to be impressive. Just looking at your Cajon makes me miss mine.Are those Meinl bongos?
    How do you like the sound of the Meinl congas?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by p.a.dogs1 View Post
    And maybe some feedbacks regarding my speculations about colours for my dog´s:
    Quick release interchangeable front plates?
    Various colors to blend with various stage settings and customer choices.
    Patent the interchangeable quick-release front plate.