Thread: Drum Circles

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Drum Circles

Has anyone formed a Drum Circle Group? Are you currently involved?

How did it go?

What techniques were used for development and promotion?

Problems? How about changing groves? Did you have a Facilitator?

Was it a loose or somewhat controlled group?
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Circles

No I never have ,wish there was one close by my area just so I could stop by on occasion .

Welcome to the forum BC .

User Info Menu

I used to frequent a few around town in Austin, TX, there are several weekly circles here. I haven't been to any in a long time though. I never miss the massive circle at Eyeore's Birthday party every year though, greatest circle ever .

About 5 years ago when I was in college I attempted to start one on campus. I used facebook and myspace to spread the word and even posted a few flyers around campus. Lots of people were interested and contacted me, but when the time came nobody showed up :(.

I was part of an African drum ensemble for a little while as well. We played traditional African djembe and dun dun rhythms. It was alot of fun, but most of the players were more interested in drinking beer and goofing around than actually playing anything.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Drum Circles

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Has anyone formed a Drum Circle Group? Are you currently involved?

How did it go?

What techniques were used for development and promotion?

Problems? How about changing groves? Did you have a Facilitator?

Was it a loose or somewhat controlled group?
    Hey, BC! Good to see someone else with "bongo" as part of his member name!

Now to answer your questions: I have never formed a drum circle, but I would like to if the time ever allows. (There is a fairly large drum circle in a nearby St. Louis suburb, but my work schedule has never allowed it.)

The drum circle I'd like to join has one acknowledged leader, but the number of members varies from week to week depending on weather conditions (they usually meet only on Sunday afternoons and only when temps are higher than 55 degrees, which knocks them out at this time of year). This circle has been going on for quite some time, but got a major boost some years ago when they were written up in a local magazine.

It seems to me there would be one or two faciliators to start a beat or steer it into a new direction, because if everyone does his or her own thing, it would be a bunch of people bangin' drums without rhyme or reason. Once the framework is set up, however, I suspect each person could solo to accent the basic beat.

Might also google "drum circles' (if you haven't already) and look around in your area.

Again, welcome aboard to one "bongo" brother from another! See ya round the Percussion thread, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I used facebook and myspace to spread the word and even posted a few flyers around campus. Lots of people were interested and contacted me, but when the time came nobody showed up :(.
    It often works that way doesn't it? We have home group bible studies at my house and the wife runs around crazy trying to clean then no one shows up.

I am thinking that I will make some contacts within the Native American Community here. They love to drum and then maybe within our local paper. I live in a remote part of Washington State with not a lot of people.

Thanks

BC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hey, BC! Good to see someone else with "bongo" as part of his member name!
    I really like your Signature. Can I steal it for another forum?

Thanks for the response. I read a lot of things about your playing here bongobro. Looks like you got it down? Do you have any videos for me to check out?

User Info Menu

We have a drum circle here that typically is most active in the summer time and I have been in and out of it over time. It doesn't have a facilitator and is what you would call a free-style I guess. Basically the cycle is that it sounds like popcorn for awhile, then a groove will start to emerge and people will pile on. It will really get to cooking and will morph and change through out its course, often dancers will join in, and then everything just sort of falls apart at the end and the after a little break, the cycle starts again.

It is hard to get people to show up at an event like this. I think the best bet is to gather about 3 or 4 friends and go to a public place like a park on a nice day and start playing. Hand out flyers while you play and you will be more likely to get people to come. And if worse comes to worse, you and your friends have a blast playing outside in the open air!

Personally, I would love to have a facilitator or leader. While the free form circles are a blast, I really wanted to learn new pieces and have multiple parts lock together. Even having just 3 or 4 people you can get some really awesome ensemble pieces where the indivdual parts are not that exciting, but the mixture of them really creates a kick *** song.

Good luck with the circle !
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Nice post midgard, I like your friends gathering and handing out flyers idea. If you steadily meet there every week, people will start to catch on and it will grow and grow. Most of the circles I've been to have been the "freeform" style that you speak of, not much excitement as far as playing goes, just a fun groove and people dancing. I rarely make it to any weekly circles, but there are a few annual ones in town that I never miss, Bob Marley Fest, and Eeyore's Birthday Party (yep from Winnie the Pooh).

Eeyore's Birthday Party, if you are not aware of it, is a long running festival in Austin, TX, I believe last year was the 45th or 46th year or so. Its basically a festival of arts, creativity, music, craziness, etc. Similar to Burning Man on a smaller, less psychedelically enhanced scale (the drugs are still there, just not as many). But you will see crazy costumes and naked people, etc. The drum circle there is insane! From 10am or so until 10pm there are atleast 20 people there at all times. At peak times like between 12 and 4 you could easily have 150+ drummers/dancers there. The best part is, people will beat on whatever they can find, water jugs, trash cans, buckets, beer kegs, flower pots, homemade drums, etc. plus throw in djembes, congas, bongos, cajons, snare drums, tom toms, full drum sets, cowbells, blocks, shakers of all kind, and all the other bells and whistles (yep bells and whistles too). I usually load up a backpack with a few shakers and cowbells to pass out to people watching. Without a doubt the best circle I've been apart of and some of the most fun I've ever had. I've been attending for the past 20 years or so, and look forward to it every spring.

User Info Menu

I really like your Signature. Can I steal it for another forum?

Thanks for the response. I read a lot of things about your playing here bongobro. Looks like you got it down? Do you have any videos for me to check out?
    You certainly may! It's a quote from Walden.

I began studying percussion in December 1984 so I could improve my chops on playin' bongos and congas. Ironically, the bongo study book I used--Progressive Steps to Conga and Bongo Instruction by Ted Reed--specifically recommended taking the book to a drum teacher and learning the 26 rudiments! So in sharpening my hand-drum chops, I learned the drum kit, and that's a bonus!

I've played hand drums for more than six years in my church's guitar ensemble; at various times I've played with groups that play country music, folk music, alternative rock, and with a big-band orchestra whose frontman--and drummer--is the son of my long-time drum teacher turned buddy.

I don't think I've "got it down," as you put it. Not a matter of a lack of self-confidence, mind you, but rather that there's ALWAYS something new to learn (a new rhythm, a new instrument to discover--like the bongo cajon!--and so on!)...

Strange as it sounds, I have NOT got it together at all on putting up a video...I want to put one up on YouTube so bad it isn't funny anymore, but as soon as I figure it out, you'll see me in action!

Thanks, bro'!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

You certainly may! It's a quote from Walden.
    Cool! It's done. By the way...I decided not to start a circle but hang out with a few friends at this time. I watched some circles on YouTube and most seem to end up a little too New Age for my style...

I did order a stand for the bongo cajon and can't wait to set it up in front of my sit down cajon.

Thanks bongobro

User Info Menu

I started playing hand drums in the first place by joining a Hatian ensemble when I was in college. It was run by a grad student and very organized. We would learn all the parts to various rhythms and someone would solo for a number of rounds. We never stopped, but one-by-one switched the accompaniment to different people. Very informative way to play. I later played in some free-form circles of 5-10 people. They usually work best when 2 or 3 players are educated in traditional rhythms and keep things from blowing up. I have run a circle myself with my high-school students. Since they all read, they picked up things quickly, but complained about the pain for weeks.

User Info Menu

Cool! It's done. By the way...I decided not to start a circle but hang out with a few friends at this time. I watched some circles on YouTube and most seem to end up a little too New Age for my style...

I did order a stand for the bongo cajon and can't wait to set it up in front of my sit down cajon.

Thanks bongobro
    You're welcome, my "bongo" brother! You may have to try several groups before you find one that fits...good luck!

Let me know how the bongo cajon stand works with the sit-down cajon...bet it's gonna cook!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Try Phitting Phx Az Into Yer Schedules Kids....da "old Man" Is Gettin A Big Itch To Host One Ya Know???????
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

HEY, BIG HOPPER--GOT A DATE IN MIND?

WOULDN'T MIND SLAPPIN' DA SKINS WITH YA...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Wow did i just beat the snot out of some hand drums. Last period in my percussion class we had a sub so we drifted away from drumline cadences and decided to make a drum circle with african drums and we had a blast. We then played some cadences and i finished it off with some techno on a very advanced keyboard.
    sorry forgot to answer your question.

Well we started with a single person playing a beat and depended on each individual to productivly add to it. It went pretty good we had a rabid percussionst in the group but we dealt with him.

Changing grooves wasnt to much of a problem if someone messed it up we would start from scratch.

honestly i have no technique i started playing hand drums in a latin percussion group when i was seven but never learned any, so i wouldnt know. Can you give me an example of good technique?
    Last edited by Tekdrummer; 01-09-2009 at 08:25 AM.
    “The noisiest drum has nothing in it but air”

User Info Menu

Wow did i just beat the snot out of some hand drums. Last period in my percussion class we had a sub so we drifted away from drumline cadences and decided to make a drum circle with african drums and we had a blast.
    We had a cadence that we called "Drum Circle" when I was on the drumline in highschool. Everyone had a very simple part and it meshed awesomely, It started out with 1 person and every measure someone would join in. Man those were some fun times playing in the stands at football games!

Can you give me an example of good technique?
    It all depends on the type of hand drum, there is a huge difference between proper techniques for congas, bongos, djembe, tabla, etc. What type of drums are you playing Tek?
    Last edited by Gretschhead; 01-09-2009 at 10:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Are they the same as crop circles?

User Info Menu

Let me know how the bongo cajon stand works with the sit-down cajon...bet it's gonna cook!
    Picture coming shortly Captain Bongo.