Thread: I Can Not take it any more.

User Info Menu

Default I Can Not take it any more.

My snare sounds even worse then dying mule now. As it is that time of year buying gifts has ate up all my funds for Head replacement. Does anyone know of anything I can do to the heads to get some what of a half decent sound?

I cannot even keep a steady beat because the sound is so bad.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I Can Not take it any more.

What kind of head and snare?

User Info Menu

Drum heads will lose their tuning, wear down and will eventually need to be replaced. However, not many of us consider the reso head or the snare wires. Problems may also rest here. The batter head will initiate the sound but it is echoed back by the reso and is directly related to the condition of those snare wires. Are any bent or twisted? Have any come loose. How thin/thick is the reso head? Is the reso properly tuned or is it just sitting there much to tight? What about the batter head...is it to tight or to loose? What about the snare strainer? Is is solid or does it slip letting the tension of the snares lessen? What about the bearing edges of the drum shell? Are they "True" or warped? Even a metal shell can get out of "Round." Not to get to personal but, a quality batter head can be purchased for $15 or less. What have you been using? And, what about your snare drum? Wood or metal? Quality drum or just a stand - by that you've been kicking around with? What about its size? Deep shell or shallow? Please don't think I trying to be a jerk but, there is so much to know about what may not be "Right" with your drum. Case in point...I have a 1964 Ludwig SupraPhonic 400 seamless shell snare drum. It's a great sounding drum BUT, I had packed it away because didn't like the sound I was getting from it when playing with my Big Band. I also have a 1960's maple Slingerland snare that sounds "Vintage" as I would like it to. However, I started playing with the SupraPhonic again and tried to figure out why is wasn't sounding like I thought it should. I re-tuned the reso head and it ripped. I can't even remember when I last replaced it. I took the drum in to local drum shop. The Pro took a look and was amazed to see that the reso was an old Ludwig "Extreme" thin head. He also noticed that a couple of snare wires had loosened from the butt end. The batter, though a few years old and slightly worn was still good enough. He put on the Remo "Hazy" reso, explaining that it was slightly thicker and would respond better. He recommended replacing the snare with the 30 strand "Metrix" snare by Pursound. What a difference!! I don't think my Supra ever sounded like this before. To be honest, the difference was so huge, I wasn't at all sure that I liked it. However, I decided to work with it. What happened is that I fell in love with my snare drum all over again and use it with the Big Band now. Last week, I replaced the old batter (Remo coated Emperor) with the Remo coated Ambassador. All in all, I spent less than $40.
    Last edited by fiacovaz; 12-16-2008 at 04:38 PM.

User Info Menu

IF you are desperate and are strapped for cash , an old tramp once told me you can steam it back to life with an iron!!!!! Ive never tried it, and Im sure he hadnt cos his trousers looked like they had never seen a washing machine let alone an Iron!! good luck.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I usually go with a hazy Remo snare side head. So far I've liked the coated powerstroke3 and emperorX. I'm playing with the Aquarian Focux X right now. I'm going to move it to a different drum to see if I like it better otherwise I'm going back to the Remo stuff.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Evans G1 (batter) and Hazy 200 (snare side) with PureSound wires. Tune it high and tight with NO muffling. It just doesn't get any better than that!

User Info Menu

$14 for a new head. I'm sure your wallet can take that.

User Info Menu

My drum is wood,the snares are fine no twist or out of wack sections that I seen. The reso head is thin and tuned slightly higher then the batter head. The batter head when I take it off feels extremely stretched and kind of liquidized if you get what I mean. It is the stock head and avoided upgrading until I learned control so I would not ruin a nicer Head. Well it turned into a habit of ignoring the signs that I needed to replace it I'm actually surprised the head lasted as long as it did since it is almost a year old.

The local store is wanting to charge me 42 bucks for remo pinstripe. That's what this town gets for letting a former used car salesman run a music shop. other then that it is a 50 mile trip out of town to Columbus. I use to think Marion had to many music shops we had 7. Now I would kill for just 2 or 3.

I put duct tape on the batter head that should be enough to hold it together till I have the time to head to Columbus. However if anyone else has any further idea's that would be of big help. Thank you in advance.

User Info Menu

$42.00 for a Remo pinstripe snare drum batter head?? I just paid $13 and change for a 14" coated Remo Ambassador last week and I know I didn't pay much more than that for the 13" coated Remo Pinstripe for my tom a few years ago. Shoot, you can surely find some music store that isn't going to force a mortgage onto you. I'd be happy to get one for you and mail it.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Frank's right, that is WAY too much to pay for a head. Another option is to buy one or some online. Most places have free or reduced shipping if over a certain amount. Or one of us will send you one. Just ask nicely

User Info Menu

holy crap!! 42 bucks, !! what size is the snare 22"!!!!!!!!!

Take your snare to the drum in columbus and put the head on there, they will help ya tune it fo sho, and when u like what u hear.....Buy an extra head while u are there!! get aquainted with the owner and just have him supply you by mail from then on!! easy.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    holy crap!! 42 bucks, !! what size is the snare 22"!!!!!!!!!

Take your snare to the drum in columbus and put the head on there, they will help ya tune it fo sho, and when u like what u hear.....Buy an extra head while u are there!! get aquainted with the owner and just have him supply you by mail from then on!! easy.

That is an excellent suggestion, Rat. I've done the same thing here in Des Moines and it's great having a place to go to where you are a customer relationship established.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

That is an excellent suggestion, Rat. I've done the same thing here in Des Moines and it's great having a place to go to where you are a customer relationship established.
    Now if only I can convert ya in your misconception that a cowbell belongs on a drum kit, we will all have a jolly xmas!!

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

i def agree with rat and Frank. The biggest problem is when your town has just one store, and the person feels they can charge whatever they want. $42 for a Remo pinstripe? you can go to Columbus and buy 3 for that price.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=parttimedrummer;142613]i def agree with rat ....

Cool so you agree a cowbell does not belong on a drum kit too, excellent, theres one convert....now just another few thou to go!!

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

$42 for a snare head?

Do you at least get dinner and a movie before they screw you?

Sheesh, man. buy online. even after shipping on one head you come out better.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

One of the local music stores here is the same way, full retail or else. And to top it off they never have anything and then insult me with "I can order it for you". Heck I can order it myself I am just trying to support the local businesses. I told them with their attitude they force people to shop on line, they wanted $75.00 for a new kick head. Sorry but I am not going to pay almost twice as much when I can get it in a couple of days on line. I am willing to pay a little more but not twice as much. Rant Over!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beasty101 View Post
    My drum is wood,the snares are fine no twist or out of wack sections that I seen. The reso head is thin and tuned slightly higher then the batter head. The batter head when I take it off feels extremely stretched and kind of liquidized if you get what I mean. It is the stock head and avoided upgrading until I learned control so I would not ruin a nicer Head. Well it turned into a habit of ignoring the signs that I needed to replace it I'm actually surprised the head lasted as long as it did since it is almost a year old.

The local store is wanting to charge me 42 bucks for remo pinstripe. That's what this town gets for letting a former used car salesman run a music shop. other then that it is a 50 mile trip out of town to Columbus. I use to think Marion had to many music shops we had 7. Now I would kill for just 2 or 3.

I put duct tape on the batter head that should be enough to hold it together till I have the time to head to Columbus. However if anyone else has any further idea's that would be of big help. Thank you in advance.
    E Bay is your friend
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

[quote=ratmycue;142621]
    Quote Originally Posted by parttimedrummer View Post
    i def agree with rat ....

Cool so you agree a cowbell does not belong on a drum kit too, excellent, theres one convert....now just another few thou to go!!
    screw you maaaaan! cowbells are like......wow...you know? i mean, holy cow....bells and all.

Seriously though, without cowbells we wouldn't have "Welcome to the jungle" sounding the way it does. Or "Killing the Name of.....". Gotta have the cow..........adn the bell.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?