Thread: Question about Pink Floyd drummer (Nick Mason)'s set

User Info Menu

Default Question about Pink Floyd drummer (Nick Mason)'s set

Hey, diehard Floyd fan here, but I have a question about parts of Nick's set and maybe you can help me out here:

what is that black table-like thingy at the way left of the picture just above the floor toms? I'm guessing it might be a xylophone or something but it could be something for the mics?

What are those two cylindrical shaped drums (if they even are drums) with the speaker thingies at the bottoms by the floor toms?

Here is a closer look at them:

any info would be helpful. thanks!
    Last edited by master of tacos; 12-18-2008 at 02:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question about Pink Floyd drummer (Nick Mason)'s set

First of all, Master of Tacos, welcome to Drum Chat!

It's hard to see what you're looking at in that first picture, but I think you are seeing one of the microphones above the cymbals.

As to the cylindrical shaped drums, they might be octobans, but I'm not sure because they appear to be in 2 pieces. I think you'll need someone else's input on that one.

Again, welcome to Drum Chat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think they're roto toms in the second picture. Could be wrong though.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    First of all, Master of Tacos, welcome to Drum Chat!

It's hard to see what you're looking at in that first picture, but I think you are seeing one of the microphones above the cymbals.

As to the cylindrical shaped drums, they might be octobans, but I'm not sure because they appear to be in 2 pieces. I think you'll need someone else's input on that one.

Again, welcome to Drum Chat!
    hey thanks! sorry, for some reason the picture didnt make it into the post. should make more sense now.

oh, and they DEFINITELY arent rototoms. I was thinking they could be octobans, but i've never seen any octobans with that structure (especially with the speaker thing at the bottom)

User Info Menu

He does/did use Octobans.

User Info Menu

r u sure? you arent confusing them with the rototoms? where did you find this out?

btw, can everyone see the original post, because I for some reason, cannot. i'll repost the pics if necessary.

User Info Menu

i can't see them, or your first post.
    www.myspace.com/marlowstheory

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atlfire View Post
    i can't see them, or your first post.
    Same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by master of tacos View Post
    r u sure? you arent confusing them with the rototoms? where did you find this out?

btw, can everyone see the original post, because I for some reason, cannot. i'll repost the pics if necessary.
    I have seen them used on a concert DVD that my brother has!

User Info Menu

I do no that Nick Mason used Roto Toms quite a bit with his kit. He may have just had them set-up differently then they are today, although I do know of a place online that sells single Roto Toms.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I have seen them used on a concert DVD that my brother has!
    sweet! which concert?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by master of tacos View Post
    sweet! which concert?
    I don't know, I don't remember right now I'll have to look again when I am at his house this week for Christmas. I haven't seen it in a couple of years. Now you have me racking my brain trying to remember where the concert was filmed. Nick was playing a silver of gold sparkle double kick DW kit, I couldn't quite tell because of the stage lighting, if I remember correctly!

User Info Menu

It's very difficult to see in those pics. However, I did some digging, and here is Nick Mason's equipment list:

* Premier 4-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2) and Ride Cymbal; 1964-1966 Premier 7-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (2), Ride Cymbal (1967-1973)
    * Premier 9-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (3), Ride Cymbal, China Cymbal (1975)
    * Premier 7-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (3), Ride Cymbal, and China Cymbal; 1977
    * Premier 6-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (2), Ride Cymbal, and China Cymbals (2)
    * Ludwig 8-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (5), Ride Cymbal, China Cymbals (2), and Splash Cymbals (2); 1983-1990
    * DW 10-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (8), Ride Cymbals (2), China Cymbals (2), & Splash Cymbals (3); 1994
    * Remo Roto Toms (3-Piece); 1968-1972, 1980-1983
    * Remo Roto Toms (5-Piece); 1973-1977
    * Remo Roto Toms (7-Piece); 1987-1990
    * Remo Roto Toms (10-Piece); 1994
    * Dauz Electronic Drums; 1994
    * Paiste Gongs; 1967-1994 (Note: Gongs most frequently used by Roger Waters until 1980)
    * Remo Drum Heads; 1964-1994
    * Bongos; 1968-1972
    * Chimes; 1967

* 5 piece Premier Drum kit and Paiste cymbals on all studio recordings (1967-75)
    * For live he used Premier (1967-late 1969)
    * Ludwig 7 piece drum kits and Paiste Cymbals (1970-1977, live tours only)
    * 6 piece Ludwig Drum Kit with Paiste cymbals for The Wall Shows (1980-1981)
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Well I guess I am talking out of the side of my mouth then, but I could of swore I way some octobons next to his kit on the right side. But it won't be the first time I have been stupidly wrong!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    It's very difficult to see in those pics. However, I did some digging, and here is Nick Mason's equipment list:

* Premier 4-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2) and Ride Cymbal; 1964-1966 Premier 7-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (2), Ride Cymbal (1967-1973)
    * Premier 9-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (3), Ride Cymbal, China Cymbal (1975)
    * Premier 7-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (3), Ride Cymbal, and China Cymbal; 1977
    * Premier 6-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (2), Ride Cymbal, and China Cymbals (2)
    * Ludwig 8-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (5), Ride Cymbal, China Cymbals (2), and Splash Cymbals (2); 1983-1990
    * DW 10-Piece Drumset with Paiste Hi-Hats (2), Crash Cymbals (8), Ride Cymbals (2), China Cymbals (2), & Splash Cymbals (3); 1994
    * Remo Roto Toms (3-Piece); 1968-1972, 1980-1983
    * Remo Roto Toms (5-Piece); 1973-1977
    * Remo Roto Toms (7-Piece); 1987-1990
    * Remo Roto Toms (10-Piece); 1994
    * Dauz Electronic Drums; 1994
    * Paiste Gongs; 1967-1994 (Note: Gongs most frequently used by Roger Waters until 1980)
    * Remo Drum Heads; 1964-1994
    * Bongos; 1968-1972
    * Chimes; 1967

* 5 piece Premier Drum kit and Paiste cymbals on all studio recordings (1967-75)
    * For live he used Premier (1967-late 1969)
    * Ludwig 7 piece drum kits and Paiste Cymbals (1970-1977, live tours only)
    * 6 piece Ludwig Drum Kit with Paiste cymbals for The Wall Shows (1980-1981)
    i have seen this chart too, but there's no mention of those tube drums anywhere!

User Info Menu

they look like octobans to me, but they look like thay are stacked!!? wierd.
    I guess they could be rototoms with a shell for sound projection , but its hard to see from that pic, i guess we will have to wait for btd to view the vid?

Official cowbell hater.