Thread: Dampening?

User Info Menu

Default Dampening?

Ive got a gig on sunday, and I've decided that I desperatley need to dampen my snare, I don't have time to go out and buy owt, any ideas on a temporary dampener for my snare?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dampening?

Can't get any Moon Gel? If you don't mind tape residue, tape some paper towel.

User Info Menu

Go with a business card taped to the batter head near the hoop in an area you don't play. If you need more dampening, apply another directly opposite.

Use masking tape so it can be removed easily.

User Info Menu

Before I used moongel, I just used electrical tape. Just cut it into small squares and put it around the outside of your snare in whatever spots you need till it's properly dampened.

User Info Menu

In a pinch a while back I needed something to tame a floor tom. What I did was to use those little stickers that come in the shapes of animals, kids might put on their windows or refridgerators for decorations. They have about the same texture as Moongel and they come in pretty colors too. They come off the heads without any residue left behind. If you see them at a Dollar Store, pick them up in case of an emergency.

Dennis

User Info Menu

A heavy wallet taped across the batter head gives an awesome effect. The weight adds bottom to the sound along with the dampening. Tape it at 12 O'clock with masking tape (preferably painters' tape so it comes off easily).

Also, cutting an old head and laying it on top of the batter head gives a nice sound. You trim off the metal part and cut out the middle, leaving a perimeter ring of about one inch.

A thick piece of felt taped to the drum head (again, at the 12 o'clock position) is good too. I have some that I used to make tympani mallets with.
    Last edited by slingerland59; 12-21-2008 at 08:10 AM. Reason: last words not necessary

User Info Menu

When I want to dampen my snare temporarily at church when we're doing something a little quieter, I take my wallet out and set it right on the batter head, up out of the way. When I'm done I put it back in my pocket, no take residue, can take it on and off. Works great.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Play softer or use brushes or hot rods.