Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Guitar Hero For Drum Playing

User Info Menu

Default Re: Guitar Hero For Drum Playing

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Guitar Hero and Rock Band will not teach you how to play instruments, but in defense of the drum portion it's much closer to real drums than the guitar is! It can give you a feel for playing the pedal and hitting the toms together and apart, so it's at least a start as compared to button mashing on a controller.

It's a great family activity, great fun, and a great introduction to different music for the kids.
    I agree with the fun family activity. It can be a ton of fun and laughs (and frustration) for hours.

I tried to play "Man in the Box" on Rock Band Christmas Eve and failed miserably. I play the real song with my cover band too. My cousin told me to play the way screen commands dictate and not the way I've been playing it. Well, I can't do that. I've been playing it for years. It's been programmed into my brain and muscles that way.

It's a toy. It's great fun. It's far from the real thing.
    "The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter."

http://www.facebook.com/robert.romeo
    Noble & Cooley Drums
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    DW Pedals and Hardware

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Guitar Hero For Drum Playing

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    If I read John's post correctly, he is using the game just like a CD, and he's just jamming to the music (correct John?). I would agree that it could get you started with jamming, but I think it would be very limited because the nuances of the music are lost in the game. Eventually, you'll want to start listening to "real" music, and learning and jamming with that, or you'll want to find other musicians to play with.

Ultimately, this discussion brings up the very painful question - for all musicians - could musicians be replaced by a processor that simulates the sound. This question will always produce "lively" debate.
    I think we've made a mountain out of a molehill because of two words: "Guitar Hero." IMHO, a serious drumming student would wear out the game in short order--I saw at least two GH drumkits get trashed at Walmart in the time from the AC/DC "Black Ice" CD came out to the end of the Christmas season. The drums may be closer to "real" electronic drums than the guitar controllers are to real guitars...

but for the money you could spend on the game (complete with drums and accessories), you could make a partial payment on a good new drum set or, with a little probing, a killer used kit. That's why I was never too crazy about "Guitar Hero" from the get-go.

PB, excellent point about how it might help you start jamming--and I agree you would be better off listening to "real" music. I have posted on this before and I'll continue to post this: If you want music to jam to, get your favorite kind of music on CD, tape, MP3, what have you and use that. It's less expensive than buying Guitar Hero just because you dig the music in the game.

Johnj10mm, I've even jammed to what's playing on the radio (we have some jazz and rock stations in the St. Louis area that gives me some great stuff to jam with, and I hope it's the same with you). In some ways, playin' with what's on the radio comes closer to a live concert experience than anything just short of jammin' with live musicians, because you don't know what's comin' up next! It may be a slow groove first, then a hard rocker, then something else altogether different.

And don't apologize for starting this thread. You don't owe anyone an explanation--and rest assured if you hadn't started this thread, someone else would have!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Well, Lildrummer...you know what's confusing. My son got Rock Band for his Wii and we tried it out. There is no comparison between that and the real thing. I had to flail my hands and arms around to get something out of it. On the set, I use minimal arm motion and play so much more effortlessly. That's what I think but...what do I know?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz
    ...what do I know?
    Maybe that anyone thinking they're getting real musical training out of a video game might want to reevaluate what they know about music? Or is it just me?

I wonder if these same folks go into NFL forums and talk about how they learned to hit on Madden Football?
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 01-04-2009 at 07:16 PM.

User Info Menu

I didn't think people thought they were getting real training.

Rob, no question it's weird because you know how to play a song but you have to follow the game literally, even if it feels wrong. That was the weirdest thing for me as well.

Fia, the Wii is the worst system to play it on. On the XBOX 360 the drums are just a pedal and four pads, so it's a goofy setup, but you play normally. Ion now has a real electronic set for use with Rock Band or as a real kit when you swap in the brain.

I'm as snobby about music as the next guy (actually probably much more so), I just don't begrudge the games because they really are a lot of family fun.

RD, have you played them? While it is color coded, you are basically practicing basic rock beats with your right hand, right foot, and left hand. The newer models have cymbals as well, so it gets closer to the real thing.

I'm a trained drummer, my teacher played with Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, and guys like that. You won't learn to be a real drummer from these games, but it can give you a taste of what it's like to play, and get you started playing basic rock beats.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    RD, have you played them?
    Just Guitar Hero. My kids play Rock Band all the time. They think it's a lot of fun.

User Info Menu

Rock Band and the new Guitar Hero are definitely better with the whole band setup. Just the guitar was okay, but when you can sit down as a family and rock to tunes it's really fun. My kids are really into music (I guess they get it from us) so it's great. My 5 year old daughter plays guitar on Beginner which allows her to just time the strumming and not worry about the buttons. She even sings (although she can't read the lyrics). She kind of fakes the words, hums along to follow the melody of the vocals and it's really cute. It even shows you how close to the note you are when you sing.

You should try to play Rock Band with your kids if you can. My son actually plays with my band as well, which is cool for him. He's not quite good enough on guitar to rock out (he's really good at riffs, but not great at chords yet), but he can sit and play drums as well as many adults already.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Oh I tried Rock Band thinking that in no way would it be the end all and all i need was Rock Band to learn drums.

I thought that perhaps I could add it as a tool tohelp me be a better drummer.

It is fun as hell. My sis and her BF have our band and we do have a blast and alot of laughs. I don't knock the game at all. All I was saying is that for me my perspective is that I can not use it as training tool because it messes me up when I go sit at my real kit.

I thought ok like MS flight sim. I actulay used that to shave a few hours off of my trainingtime because it is acurate as far as the intruments and flying by instruments so it is a great training device to learn navigation thats how I was hoping Rock Band would be for drumming.

I just can't use it. For fun yes its awesome.

You know what would be really cool. you know how some keyboards light up the notes so you can play along. Welll wouldn't it be kinda cool that drums had a little light and the heads glowed red so you knew if you were hitting the right thing!

And if you messed up a voice would speak up and tell you. YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!!!!! lol

Anyways, I just wanted tolet everyone know Iamnot knocking the game or the idea of the game it is a great thing for peopel to get together and yes like someone said introduce some music thatthey never heard before.

Oh check this out I gave my sisters BF a ride the other day and Glen Miller was on the radio so I am listening to Glenn and my sisters BF was like you listen to this stuff??? I almost I didn't know what to say. I was like yeah I listen to alot of music. I am 37 he is 30 but still I was like are you serrious you never listened to Glenn Miller? It is hard to believe that some people have such a myoptic view to music.

I mean granted I am not a huge fan of Jazz but I respect it and I will give it a listen but chances are as of right now you wouldn't find any jazz cd's in my music collection but I wouldn't put anyone down for the music they listened to or be like ewww you listen to that stuff??/

WOW makes me wonder

User Info Menu

As to the "getting your kids into music" thing, saying these video games are a good vehicle for that is silly. I mean, if someone just wants to justify spending money on a video game, I guess that's one thing. It's still malarky, but it's understandable. But to trying to sell the idea for real is rediculous.

Hey! Want to get your kids interested in music? Start the day they are born. Sing to them. When they learn to talk, sing with them. Listen to music with them all the time. Take them to see/hear live music. Let them handle your instrument(s). When they're old enough and ready to make a commitment (few kids are ready to seriously study music before age 8), get them their own instrument and private music teacher.

Mostly, whenever some well meaning but truely ignorant person trys to sell you on the power of video games to teach your child anything meaningful, mock them without mercy. Maybe they can be shamed back into reality.

User Info Menu

You know, I know a lot of people who have taken up guitar or other instruments after playing guitar hero, and got really good. It makes kids want to learn to play.

And I also think rock band drumming can help drummers learn. In Rock Band 2, they have a beat trainer and fill trainer, and there is some pretty cool beats and fills on there. Plus there is freestyle mode, so you could actually use it as an instrument. Seriously, is it all that bad? If kids want to learn to drum, Rock Band can help then learn basic structure of drum beats and fills, and a better sense of rhythm.
    Last edited by skutieos; 03-18-2009 at 10:10 PM.

User Info Menu

As I stated before who ever came up with this game is also on to something with a alot of potential if done right. I will explain again.

Imagine being able to mount sensors on your kit which detect vibrations and hits. You then select on the screen what each sensor is on what drum it is then set a color to each drum. Now lets say you are just starting out and you set the program to very slow and as you play out the song as you watch the screen seeing what drum is suppose to be hit when and where. As you get better you can go from slow to normal speed working your way up.

What if you want to learn a paradiddle and your not sure your doing it right. you pop in the program turn on your wireless. Set to slow speed and copy whats going on on the screen of your tv. As you get better you speed it up and every time you doit wrong it tells you.

Now as far as the game itself? I think it is about time we had a game that does not involve killing, blood and gore. Music took a major back seat when atari came on the scene and has been in that back seat for a good 30+ years till now as far as youth and young kids. I also think the game is great for motor skills and coordination if they get into music or not. Atleast we got something out there pushing karaokee on the side lines and might get people asking hey... we want to see a live band play. This game could have a impact on bars and cafe's bringing back live bands again. Because lets face the music (pun intended) Live music is not very populer these days. Leaving us musicians with back yard jams and the nearly 0 percent chance of playing at the next stadium.

User Info Menu

I'm going to respond to RD's comment, even though he's gone, about getting into music via a game as silly. Of course you should get your kids into music young, my 14 year old plays 3 or 4 instruments (3 very well), and my 5 year already fools around on the e-kit with some success and has a good singing voice.

But I'm a musician, of course my kids are going to be into music. But not everyone is a musician. As well, the songs in these games are a wide mix of styles and from many different eras. Since most people have very limited musical tastes, and what's on the radio and TV is very limited, I'm solid with kids hearing good music in a game if it's the only way they will hear it.

Beasty, I play army games (as does my son) but I agree. The great thing about these games is they are family friendly, cool for all ages, and can be played by the whole family.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I suppose this works but why not just listen to the song on headphones? I don't understand why you would need the game unless it's the only place you have those songs.