Thread: Left hand slaps...

User Info Menu

Default Left hand slaps...

After a year and a half break from the congas, pretty much everything is coming back to me and falling into place. However, my left hand slaps are very weak and often missed. I nail maybe 50% of them if that. Anyone have any good exercises they use to strengthen the left hand slap? Something a little more fun than just playing a bunch of slaps over and over ya know...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Left hand slaps...

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    After a year and a half break from the congas, pretty much everything is coming back to me and falling into place. However, my left hand slaps are very weak and often missed. I nail maybe 50% of them if that. Anyone have any good exercises they use to strengthen the left hand slap? Something a little more fun than just playing a bunch of slaps over and over ya know...
    Gretschhead, I think this beat could help you out, its called (Bembe). There's a couple of ways to play it but when playing solo you use two drums. The left hand only does...slap-open-slap-open-slap. The right does a...slap-open-open. It's fun and sound really cool once you get it going. Here's the video, scroll almost to the end to see the two conga method.
    L4C http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B83WXjcjw4w
    BTW hows the Gon Bops doing

User Info Menu

Thanx L4C, I was hoping you would chime in with something on this topic. Bembe is a really cool beat, and that looks like it will be perfect for working on the left hand. Going to have to work on getting that bell part on the foot pedal too, sounds sweet together. I'll have to work on it here in a little while when my roommates are awake.

BTW hows the Gon Bops doing
    I'm absolutely loving them, they sound so good! I wish I had some recording gear or a video camera so I could let you guys hear them, I'll have to work on that. I still haven't repaired the splits, I made an attempt on the conga, but wasn't able to get enough tension on it to hold the shells together. I need to break down and buy some ratchet straps, I was hoping to borrow some, but haven't found a buddy with any yet :(. I'm searching everywhere I can for a third and possibly fourth drum. I want to add the quinto and super tumba, going to be a tough time trying to find the super though, and will be a pretty penny if I do.

User Info Menu

Yah, I know what cha mean....congas early in the morning doesn't fair to well in my house ether I'm not sure, Gon bops may have made a super tumba in that model. I have seen a later model with red stain.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Gon bops may have made a super tumba in that model.
    There are actually 3 larger tumbas in this model, I have the smallest which is 11.5", there was also a 12.25", 13.25", and 14.25". There were also 2 different conga sizes 10.75" which I have, and 11", and a quinto that was 9.75". So really I have 4 options to add another drum, finding them will be the hard part.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Left hand slaps...

Thanks for linking that vid, L4C...I may not have any roommates when I practice, but that bembe sounds cool when the parts come together at the end of the vid...

...and it'll help me add some new rhythms to the arsenal...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

A couple of exercises I like to do is basically an adaptation of para-diddles. Instead of doing RLRR LRLL, i alternate right/left and replaced the para-diddle with open/slaps.

S= Slap, O=Open

Basic Paradiddle Adaptation w/Alternating hands
    Code:
    SOSSOSOO
    RLRLRLRL
    1e+a2e+a
    Putting a different part of the paradidle on the 1 - this one sounds really cool if you swing it (this is my favorite!)
    Code:
    SOOSOSSO
    RLRLRLRL
    1e+a2e+a
    Adaptation with traditional paradiddle sticking (This is a bit tougher for me, but it is a good exercise)
    Code:
    SOSSSOSS
    RLRRLRLL
    1e+a2e+a
    It really helps
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Very cool, thanks midgard!