Thread: For My First Kit

User Info Menu

Default For My First Kit

Im looking to purchase my first kit. but im not sure what to get.

im really into metal like darkest hour and all that remains type stuff. Tool and Mute Math are another great percussion inspirations. (mute math because of the drummers excellent sound of his snare and cymbals, not so much the toms) i know a little about equipment but not much. i would like to know what you think i should get for a great balanced sound between the bands i mentioned.

what kind of shells? Brands? What should the shells be made of? Maple? Is Birch ok? (birch seem to be less expensive) What kind of snare? How big should the snare be? how deep? What kind of a double pedal? (It looks like axis longboards are perfect but i heard the twin iron cobra's are pretty sweet too) What kind of sticks? what kind of Cymbals? Heavy? medium? light? Big or small?

User Info Menu

Default Re: For My First Kit

Bogmez, welcome to Drum Chat!

Before we can answer your questions, give us some idea what price range you are thinking about. Also keep in mind that whatever you spend on your drum set, you'll also need cymbals, and hardware.

How long have you been playing Bogmez?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome,bgomez, to the Drum Forum. One thing you will learn as you continue to play drums is to trust your "Ears." Many times, we make a mental comparison of what we would like to what we hear. That's a good place to start but not to end. Unless you are listening to these bands upclose and live, you are hearing a recording and that is going to alter the true sounds of the drums to a degree. Practically every drumset you will find on a retail floor will handle what you want so, get out there and start "Listening" to them. A lot of the guys here will tell you what they like and that is exactly what it will be...what THEY like. Not necessarily what you're going to like. This also holds true with cymbals. What I like is quite the opposite of what you are wanting so I won't bother with that. I would suggest that, as the responses come in, you take some notes about brand names, sizes, which drum head is recommend as well as cymbals and hardware like bass drum pedals. You will begin to notice similarities and this may help you to focus more specifically as you get closer to finding something for yourself. A word of caution, however, don't be in a hurry. This will take some time. Get to know the stores and drum sales staff. They will be able to give you a lot of assistance once you have a clear idea of what to ask for. Good luck and keep us posted.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Welcome Bgomez! Like fiacovaz said. Go out and play everything you can! It is you that will have to play them.

User Info Menu

I'm going to make some recommendations from personal experience; don't go for the cheapest cymbals unless you've heard them firsthand, try out all kits you want to within your range, don't make pre-determined decisions over what you're going to buy, make sure you get the dimensions right!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Welcome!! My suggestion would be to look for a vintage kit, and get some mid ranged cymbals. And if you're brand new to drumming, I wouldn't start right away with the double bass but wait intill your good on your single! And just try everything out you never know what you'll like
    -Fred

User Info Menu

Find a used set. Doesn't matter too much as to what company drums/cymbals you get... Tama, Mapex, Premier, Yamaha, Pearl, Gretsch, DW, Taye, Pacific, Zildjian, Sabian, Meinl... they're all good stuff. You need something to learn on and you need time to develop your ears to what you prefer. You can always sell what you don't want and upgrade later on. Your preference for gear will constantly change throughout your entire life. Just pick up some cans and thrash away.

Since you're beginning I wouldn't recommend Axis pedals as they're expensive and you're not at a level to put their precision to full use. I like the Iron Cobra power glides just fine. If you're absolutely sure you want to play that style of music then I say jump right into double bass. Either two kicks or a double pedal, my personal preference is two kicks but that is MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE. I can get the job done on either. I suggest starting with double bass so that your legs develop equally and evenly. Do not neglect to learn proper hi-hat techniques though. It's good that you know exactly what you want to play, but it's very important to be well rounded because you might not always get to play what you want... And you'd be surprised to see how many techniques from different styles of drumming cross over and are useful in other styles. Definitely take drum lessons too.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. All this info helps a lot. Thanks Very Much

User Info Menu

All good advice here....welcome to DC Bgomez.....wish you the best of luck!
    ...I am not seeing things as they are....I am seeing things as I am....

User Info Menu

Ipicked up a Ludwig Accent for a tad bit over 500 bucks and spent 250 bucks on Sabian B8 cymbals.

I got rid of the stock heads and bought some Evans E2.

The stock pedal and eveything else is really good for the set I have.

yes it is not the best kit but I beleive it will hold its own against allot of other kits that there are.

I had to really tweak mine to get the sound I wanted but for what the kit is I think they sound awesome.

I think you would be ok with any starter set from any good company IE Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, DW ect

I look at it like this. I love my set as it sounds now but as I grow and my expertise grows I will have a better feel and sound for what I like. Perhaps my next set will be the 3000 dollar Ludwigs or DW I dunno

I would start with a basic set nothng much more than 500 bucks unles syou are rich and can afford 3000 bucks and buy something new when you get better and decide on something else.

User Info Menu

Well, I can't really add anything here...so I will just say WELCOME!!

And good luck with whatever you decide!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: For My First Kit

welcome to the LUDWIG phamily,,,,,my "dirty little chrome babies" were all "born" 3/23/1972,,,,(3 PLY WITH CHROME OVERLAY)...and all 11 drums /22 cymbals...are the pleasure of my life!!!!!
    www.photodump.com/phroggerz
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    Well, I can't really add anything here...so I will just say WELCOME!!

And good luck with whatever you decide!
    Copy that..and WELCOME to drumchat! THE best drummer forum on the web!
    -Les

User Info Menu

ddrums d2 kit is a great starter kit the hardware is a bit cheesy, but as we all get more playing time, hanging out in music stores,and asking loads of questions, you'll figure out that you will change hardware quite a bit as you find good deals, but the shells arent half bad for the price as far as cymbals go, if you are serious about playing i would just get some good ones and stay away from starter sets because you will definately upgrade them and wont get much out of the when you go to sell them, go to a store that has loads of kits on display and will let you try them out new and used, you may find a good used kit for mot much more, there is so many choices out there and you could drive yourself nuts trying to make up your mind