Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Set Identify

User Info Menu

Default Set Identify

Can someone help me identify what kind of drums set this is. It has not tags on it and I can't figure it out. I had someone tell me it is a old Slingerland set. But Im not sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Set Identify

Welcome SMW. I am guessing it might be a Tama.

User Info Menu

The lugs dont look quite right for Slingerland.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Japanese cookie cutter I'm thinking -Les

User Info Menu

The tom mount looks like a Tama, But I'm not to sure.

User Info Menu

Obviously it's hard to tell without badges, but the tom mounts don't look like Slingerland to me. Did they every use that kind of mount? I know they didn't on vintage kits.

I agree with BLD that they look like Tama, but I don't recall Tama every having that style BD mount. Not to mention, in looking over their old catalogs, I don't see that finish with that hardware. The BD hoops, the hooks, and particularly the posts on the tom mounts look like old Tama. And about those posts, if memory serves that's an 80's style mount. Didn't most "vintage" kits use the rail mount?

Les is probably right, probably just a knock off. Give us some more pics, and/or try to find some markings, serial no's, etc... to help us help you out.
    Last edited by kaosotis; 12-20-2008 at 06:46 PM.

ThePloughman Guest

The tom mount doesnt matter. It is not original.

Japanese cookie cutter, 1960s. Pull a lug, it might say pearl on the inside.

User Info Menu

Oh you think someone put that on after the fact? Could be.

The finish obviously looks 60's or 70's. If the tom mount isn't original, the drums actually remind me of my first kit when I was 10, a late 70's Ludwig, but I don't think they are.

User Info Menu

No pearl on the inside. There is no markings of any kind on the drums. Namer ETC.
    So you think it is a old tama with an different tom mount.

User Info Menu

Reason I think it is a Tama is, my band's drummer has one and it looks very similiar. His is black.

User Info Menu

Definitely not Slingerland. Wrong lugs and wrong hoops. Japanese for sure.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

I am thinking it is a Tama as well!

User Info Menu

i have never heard of a japanese.

User Info Menu

essentially that could be an after-market wrap as well... and if the lugs and harware were rusted they could've been swapped out too with the wrap... just too add more confusion to the plate.

User Info Menu

Pretty cool looking what ever it is . Nice wrap , its in good shape too. I think its interesting where the BD spurs are located . Good luck and have fun with it.

ThePloughman Guest

The four holes with carriage bolts.......... are evidence of an old rail mount. This puts it earlier 60s. You never stated shell construction. Im betting the drum is very heavy, the shell very thick, and the bearing edges nonexistant. Shell material will be Luan. This is a crap drumset. The T's are typical cheap no name stencil kit fodder. The spurs, are steel rod fitted into a bushing spur mount, with rather cheesey wing screws. Inside the shell a single nut screws down on the bushing. Top dollar............ under 100.

User Info Menu

Looks like an old CB 500 set...starter set.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

For my money, it,s Pearl, My first kit 1978 was almost identical, except the colour.
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

what you have right there is a 1960's Reuther drum kit. i can tell because it still has the original tension rod housings and the original tom mount housing. the tom mount itself has been swapped out with a late model DW tom mount... i have the same one. there has been alot of modification to the kit, most of the tension rods, floor tom legs, and kick drum hoops look like tama, those tension rods on the kick drum are nice because you dont have to have a drum key to tune them.

pretty cool old kit though man, it looks vintage with alot of new hardware.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    what you have right there is a 1960's Reuther drum kit. i can tell because it still has the original tension rod housings and the original tom mount housing. the tom mount itself has been swapped out with a late model DW tom mount... i have the same one. there has been alot of modification to the kit, most of the tension rods, floor tom legs, and kick drum hoops look like tama, those tension rods on the kick drum are nice because you dont have to have a drum key to tune them.

pretty cool old kit though man, it looks vintage with alot of new hardware.
    Essentially a Japanese cookie cutter set that were being churned out by the boatload by Pearl and Tama in the 60s. Made in response to America's new found passion for drums.
    Thanks in large part by Ringo Starr and Charlie Watts. While not really collectable, certainly cool enuf to clean up, add some updated hardware and heads and take to a gig or two! -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Essentially a Japanese cookie cutter set that were being churned out by the boatload by Pearl and Tama in the 60s. Made in response to America's new found passion for drums.
    Thanks in large part by Ringo Starr and Charlie Watts. While not really collectable, certainly cool enuf to clean up, add some updated hardware and heads and take to a gig or two! -Les
    agreed +1

User Info Menu

well now wait a min. i may be wrong, when i veiwed the thread right after this one, "its a wrap" http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...wrap-8067.html i compared pictures of both kits, and the tension rod housings look exactly the same, minus some newer tom suspension and different tension rods in the other thread. try to compare these kits, and see if you see what i am seeing. i might be wrong on this one, but the kit in this thread may acctually be a highly modified ludwig with newer parts on it.

User Info Menu

i will give you guys a little more info on the set i forgot to include ..got the set of ebay a couple of years ago as a practice..play around set..the guy i got it from said he had it as a kid and learned to play drums on it..got a new set and decided to sell it..now i could be wrong but i drought he was making a ton of modifications to it..i think alot of what you see is what came from being close to new back in the 60's

User Info Menu

pearl president mabye?

User Info Menu

any more ideas?????