Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Set Identify

User Info Menu

Default Re: Set Identify

whatever it is id clean it up and play it.It dosent look that bad to me put some new heads on it and play...

User Info Menu

Stewarts.

User Info Menu

Ithink its a premier...i don't know WIERD!!!!!

User Info Menu

so i got a tama, or highly modified Ludwig,..that seems to be the majority of the answers hear

User Info Menu

try sending the picture to modern drummer magazine's expert, they've found out stuff like that before
    itj færra nålles

ThePloughman Guest

Post some close up pics of the insides of the shells. Pics with good detail. You dont have a ludwig. Star (Tama) or one of the hundreds of names used by Yamaha, Tama, and Pearl. The set has been modified, the tom mount is not original. The four holes with carriage bolts says this was a rail mount at one time.

Hope you didnt give a lot for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Post some close up pics of the insides of the shells. Pics with good detail. You dont have a ludwig. Star (Tama) or one of the hundreds of names used by Yamaha, Tama, and Pearl. The set has been modified, the tom mount is not original. The four holes with carriage bolts says this was a rail mount at one time.

good observation there ploughman!

User Info Menu

well i payed a little over 100 for it..i was looking for a practice set or for some small gigs that i could use..i thought it was a good set at the time but you guys are saying no..the guy i bought it from had it as a kid and i dought he made a lot of modifications but i guess i could be wrong..i was just curious on what set it was...
    --hear are some more detailed pics of one of the toms....
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Came across this modified Japanese kit and snapped some pix for another forum...hmmmm...? It look similar to what you have here..but the person that owned this set must have really loved it. It is not a true "vintage" Pearl.. Those badges are from the mid 80s and the shells look to be wood fiberglass hybrid, prolly Pearl circa 70s shells with some aftermarket shell HW? Thats the way it goes with these cookie cutter Japanese kits! not real collectable at all ..but prolly cool to gig with!

User Info Menu

I don't know but that pretty much sells me this previous post..the drums look identical besides so different hardware hookups..other than that by just looking they look like the same set..old Japaneses Pearl kit looks like what i got!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smwdrum View Post
    I don't know but that pretty much sells me this previous post..the drums look identical besides so different hardware hookups..other than that by just looking they look like the same set..old Japaneses Pearl kit looks like what i got!!!!
    Yeah..the badges on the kit pix I posted are NOT original. I did some research on "vintage" Pearl drum kits from the 60's and even into the 80s seeing that these badges are mid 80s and found NOTHING. zip, zero.
    So I had made the conclusion that this set was prolly circa 70s shells (wood/fiberglass) and heavily midified with different shell HW and the consolette rail tom mount on the kick drum. I prolly should have got em and used them for gigginf. They are cool -Les

User Info Menu

Default Shell interiors

*NOTICE THE GRAY PAINTED LOOKING SHELL INTERIOR.^^ I was told that this could indicate Pearl wood/fiberglass from the 70s. The internal mufflers could've been added as well.

*ONE THING I DIDNT DO WAS TO INSPECT THE INSIDES OF THE SHELLS^^ ON THE KICK AND OTHER DRUMS FOR PATCHED HOLES FROM ORIGINAL HW

*OLD SCHOOL (ESQUE) TAB TOM BRACKET^^ FOR THE CONSOLETTE WAS NON CHARACTERISTIC OF PEARL KITS IN THE 60S

What is comes down to is this: Your kit is NOT very if at all collectable, so I wouldn't get excited about that. It isnt a Pearl (branded), Slingerland, Ludwig, Gretsch or Rogers. It is what it is. A 60s Japanese cookie cutter drum set. I would clean 'em up, slap new heads (top and bottom) and play the heck out of them because they are cool.
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 12-27-2008 at 06:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Its an old set of Stewarts. I had the exact same kit but in black, and I used my tom rail.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    pearl president mabye?
    no, those did ot have as "thick" of hardware. unless the lugs and hoops had been replaces, which would make some sense because of the age.

But there are i few things i noticed. First is the bass drum. the tom mounts have been replaced, so it is vintage and repaired.

The toms do not have and bottom heads, so it is late 60's to 70's era

Most likely a stencil, or no name brand.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shell interiors

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post

*NOTICE THE GRAY PAINTED LOOKING SHELL INTERIOR.^^ I was told that this could indicate Pearl wood/fiberglass from the 70s. The internal mufflers could've been added as well.

*ONE THING I DIDNT DO WAS TO INSPECT THE INSIDES OF THE SHELLS^^ ON THE KICK AND OTHER DRUMS FOR PATCHED HOLES FROM ORIGINAL HW

*OLD SCHOOL (ESQUE) TAB TOM BRACKET^^ FOR THE CONSOLETTE WAS NON CHARACTERISTIC OF PEARL KITS IN THE 60S

What is comes down to is this: Your kit is NOT very if at all collectable, so I wouldn't get excited about that. It isnt a Pearl (branded), Slingerland, Ludwig, Gretsch or Rogers. It is what it is. A 60s Japanese cookie cutter drum set. I would clean 'em up, slap new heads (top and bottom) and play the heck out of them because they are cool.

Yea I was really not looking for a collectible in the first place just a set to play some gigs with and practice on. So it isn't a name brand just a Japanese circa 70's?? (So a Japanese set is just a st made in Japan back in the day no name brand or anything??)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shell interiors

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post

Yea I was not looking for a collectible just a set to use in some gigs and practice with. So it is a Japanese set circa 60's.?? (Japanese is just a set made in japan back then with not name brand or anything??)

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Set Identify

These are pre Tama Star brand drums. They have the original heads with the white flesh hoops. It's amazing how many old japanese drums still have the original heads on them.

Imperialstar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drumguy58 View Post
    These are pre Tama Star brand drums. They have the original heads with the white flesh hoops. It's amazing how many old japanese drums still have the original heads on them.
    Did star ever have the tama style omnilock tom mount or is that a retrofit?

My 1st kit was an early 70's star and it was tonally dead with really flimsy hardware. I so don't miss it. (shudder)
    Last edited by Imperialstar; 11-04-2009 at 05:37 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm sorry, I closed my eyes for a minute and when I opened them it's ten years later! Definitely a retrofit on the tom mount.

User Info Menu

are there re-rings inside? any pics inside the shells?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO