Thread: Fill-ins, Flavor...

User Info Menu

Default Fill-ins, Flavor...

What are some good tips on discovering and playing good fill-ins and accents?
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fill-ins, Flavor...

Listening to the band is one way.

User Info Menu

The best thing you can do, especially if you're primarily playing one drum at at a time, is to master the basic drum rudiments. You will be amazed at what just throwing in a few flams, rolls and drags can do to your playing. Add a little dynamics and you'll be smokin' in no time!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    The best thing you can do, especially if you're primarily playing one drum at at a time, is to master the basic drum rudiments.
    Thanks Tom, I am checking them out.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Fill-ins, Flavor...

Listen to as many different recordings as you can. There are some fill-ins that are used more often than others, but once in a while you'll hear something that just sets off a particular tune (maybe a slap, maybe a flam or series of flams, maybe a roll).

As drummer said, learn the basic ruds and take off from there...good luck, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Listen to as many different recordings as you can. There are some fill-ins that are used more often than others, but once in a while you'll hear something that just sets off a particular tune (maybe a slap, maybe a flam or series of flams, maybe a roll).

As drummer said, learn the basic ruds and take off from there...good luck, man!
    My Pastors son plays the basic sit down Cajon and today at worship service I will be attempting to fill in with the bongo.

User Info Menu

Hello Bongocajon, When you say "Fill In Flavors" are you referring to "Improvising"? I don't know much about playing cajons besides that you play it with your hands, is it similar to playing congas? If it is this guy has a whole bunch of improvisation videos called "Cell Structure" Check it out
    L4C

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zS0h9MWp_E

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Hello Bongocajon, When you say "Fill In Flavors" are you referring to "Improvising"? I don't know much about playing cajons besides that you play it with your hands, is it similar to playing congas? If it is this guy has a whole bunch of improvisation videos called "Cell Structure" Check it out
    L4C

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zS0h9MWp_E
    Hi luv4congas,

Yes, that video is showing what I call fill-ins. Like at church today my Pastors son played the basic, 1,2, slap, 1,2 slap, 1,2, slap and I did whatever came to mind. He kept the steady rhythm. Eventually later into each song, we developed a grove when my flavoring worked and complimented the beat he was carrying through.

User Info Menu

Yes, thats good, that's all you can really do is what ever comes to mind. My Bro is not into playing the folkloric beats like Bembe, Tumbao, plena ect. but he is the king at fill ins

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    What are some good tips on discovering and playing good fill-ins and accents?
    Depends What Time Signature.

With 4/4 and 2/4:
    I tend to like some 16th paradiddles, as those can haves quite a neat sound.
    Playing with the toms can sound good.

With 6/8:
    Paradiddle-diddle anyone?
    Or maybe some triplets around the toms.

PS. Of course the toms wouldn't work if your not using a kit. The other stuff would.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I like to stick a drumstick up my nose while playing 64ths on double bass at 208.
    Epic Win.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Fill-ins, Flavor...

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Hi luv4congas,

Yes, that video is showing what I call fill-ins. Like at church today my Pastors son played the basic, 1,2, slap, 1,2 slap, 1,2, slap and I did whatever came to mind. He kept the steady rhythm. Eventually later into each song, we developed a grove when my flavoring worked and complimented the beat he was carrying through.
    That's where listening--and playing along with other music, no matter what the source, comes in handy. And the more you play along--and in this case in particular, play along with your pastor's son, the tighter the two of you will play together and the faster you'll develop a groove. Sounds like you're already on your way, BC!

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Yes, thats good, that's all you can really do is what ever comes to mind. My Bro is not into playing the folkloric beats like Bembe, Tumbao, plena ect. but he is the king at fill ins
    L4C, as I've mentioned all too often, I'm the only percussionist of any kind in our church's guitar ensemble. What I have done with great success is adapting the bembe, tumbao, etc., to serve as accents and fill-ins to the music. On some of the music I actually drive the song along, but in the vast majority of what I play, I provide the tasty accents that call attention to the message and not necessarily to my drumming in itself!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck