Thread: heel toe double bass

User Info Menu

Default heel toe double bass

Whats up DC? i am new around here, this is actually my first post. I wanted to discuss the heel toe double bass method, specifically the method used for deathcore metal (beneath the massacre, faceless).

So i currently play with tama iron cobras--not long boards. but i hear you can use this technique on any pedal. Now my question for all you is what were some of the problems that you encountered when learning? and what are some ways to correct these mistakes.

right now i can do the heel toe with each seperate foot, but i cant consistantly play with both feet to make the "roll" effect..

User Info Menu

Default Re: heel toe double bass

Hey man welcome to drumchat! I myself enjoy some metal and I've been working on my double bass too. A couple of months ago I tried to learn heal-toe but just couldn't get it right not having a proper teacher and all. I use a Tama Iron cobra too. Now I do mostly heel-up.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Welcome! Cool screen name!

User Info Menu

thanks guys. ive also heard you can modify your iron cobra to make it into a long board pedal. there are a couple instructional videos on youtube that show you how. anybody ever try this?

User Info Menu

Nope not me, I'm already satisfied with my IC's they do well for my foot technique
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Like everything else. Start slow, Very slow, with a metronome, and when you are absolutely relaxed and accurate at slow speed, inch the speed up.

Accuracy and feel is WAY more important than sheer speed. The Late Great Kenny Clare once told me, "You can practice 12 hours a day, and become the fastest drummer in the world, but it's not a race."

Andy
    Last edited by AndyC; 12-21-2008 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

ive never even tried to do this before, i can smoke most metal drummers that we gig with on double bass, just using heels up.

you can modify the iron cobras to make them a long board. i have seen this done but i have never done this myself.

welcome to drumchat, glad to have ya here.

User Info Menu

that is a great quote. i absolutely agree. i am sloppy with the technique when i try to do it fast. ive only been practicing this for about 6 months. definately gotta start slow

User Info Menu

welcome to the chat! i have been practicing my heel toe technique as well.
    I know some of the lesson vids i've seen on youtube say pedal length doesn't matter, and i am finding out they are correct. Basically you have to find the "sweet spot" on the board. I need to mark mine with tape or something, because my foot slips when i am practicing

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Antiteargasefect! Man, you have got to go to the "Screen Names" thread and tell us how you came up with yours!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

... look up Derrick Pope's videos (on YouTube). His video on this should answer all your questions.

Sorry. I wasn't promoting the forum, just the video library and artist pages that are uber useful.
    Last edited by quikstang2; 12-27-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: We don't need to promote other drum forums here. Thx
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

Larrysperf Guest

Practice practice practice, no such thing as doing it just right the first time. NUFF SAID

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Practice practice practice, no such thing as doing it just right the first time. NUFF SAID
    absolutely Larry. I make sure to practice every day on that, along with my rudiments