Thread: quieting my drums?

User Info Menu

Default quieting my drums?

right now i have a pillow in my bass drum, but i want to find a way to quiet my toms as well

do i use pilows, or is there another method

User Info Menu

Default Re: quieting my drums?

Are you wanting to damp them for playing, or to quieten them to practice on?

Andy

User Info Menu

If you want them damp for playing, then just get some remo rings. But if you need some silent theres a product out there that goes right on the drums/cymbals I'm not sure what it's called.
    -Fred

User Info Menu

I have Sound Off mutes. They are great when I feel the urge to play late at night.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I have Sound Off mutes. They are great when I feel the urge to play late at night.
    yep these things work like a charm, although i dont have any in fusion sizes...so i have been hosed.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

i live in a neighborhood with a couple with a baby and alot of old people, and i just dont want to go upstairs one day and see a police oficer at my door
    rigt now i have pillows in my bass and towels in my toms, but id like to find a solution that doesnt mess with the tune of the drum so i can practice

do Sound Off mutes go in or on the drum?

User Info Menu

Sound Mutes are akin to rubber practice pads. They are sized according to drum sizes and sit on top of the batter head. They will dampen the sound tremendously so that you can practice withour disturbing your neighbors. You can buy them as a set which will include the bass drum, ride and crash cymbal and hi-hat. These are made to "Mute" the sound so, do not expect them to respond like a practice pad because they won't. The best that you'll get from these is a good workout on your kit and that's not a bad thing when you can't practice full volume.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

A lot of practice should be done on a practice pad. that will allow you to build speed and power without any worries. When I was teaching I could always tell whether a kid practiced on a pad or on a kit, no matter how well damped the kit was. With the ones who practiced on a kit I was always wanting to say, "HIT the bleedin' things!!!"

Andy

User Info Menu

Sounds like you need some Sound Off mutes or something similar.

You could also look into something like 2slow's DIY electric kit...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Have you considered the mesh practice heads? they really silence a drum kit. That is what my sons kit is fitted with right now and you can hardly hear them at all. And they fell better and more natural than the sound offs.

User Info Menu

thats not a bad idea! how do i get those?

User Info Menu

Pearl/Percussion Plus has the least expensive ones. Hart also makes them, but they're more money. Send 2slow a pm.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47