Thread: hands too slow

User Info Menu

Default hands too slow

how do i speed up my hands?
    holla

User Info Menu

Practice!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Haha, I am having the same problem, I am just working on doing rudiments and rolls and such like that.. Since I have started, I have already noticed a increase in my hand speed..

Oh and PokerDrummer, why not give some examples?

User Info Menu

sounds like i'll be practicing then. i heard that playing rudiments on a soft surface like a pillow will help. is that true?
    holla

jarhead Guest

yeah,that would. you can get a stress ball and that will build up your speed

User Info Menu

Rudiments are killer for increasing your hand speed.

Practise some rolls, paradiddles, single stroke rolls and anything else you can get your hands on.

HB58

User Info Menu

Like everyone has said Rudiments are where it's at. When I practice everyday I almost play Rudiments more then the actual drums, in return what does it do? Build your speed, increase the ability to play beats easier, add fills in where you couldn't add them in before and overall just improve the way you handle the drumsticks. Paraddiles, and double and doing rolls and stuff like hellsbells58 said above is the best practicing. And just don't leave it too when your at the drumset... do it whever you are.. waiting for something.. boring lecture... That's when the best practicing happens.

User Info Menu

Air drumming is the best mental practice when your away from your kit. And while it may piss off other people, tapping on desks or the closest thing to you is also a form of practicing while your not at the kit.

Have an idea of what you're practicing though, so that you're not just tapping aimlessly. Think accents or double paradiddles or subdivisions, maybe concentrating on just one of the areas at a time.

Above all else,
    Practice, Practice, Practice,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

so would just doing RRLL(double stroke) and RLRRLRLL(paradiddle) do it for me? or would i need to extra do stuff like paraparadiddles or para-diddle-diddles and flam accents and such to increase my speed?
    holla

User Info Menu

yea another method is to "switch" your kit... hats on the right, floortom on the right ( or vise versa) ...and play it back wards ...instead of hitting hats with your right hand play with your left...this builds up speed in your slow hand (I.E. the hand you dont use to ride with) and ish helpful because you can only play as fast as your slowest hand
    Last edited by Chiko; 12-14-2006 at 07:23 PM.
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

to speed up your single stroke rolls keep on climbing up with your tempo and then when you have diffulculty with one tempo, put the tempo about 5 or 10 bpm faster and try to play that then bring the tempo back down youll have alot more control. just keep on practicing