Thread: Claves???

User Info Menu

Default Claves???

I'm currently using a pair of pearl fibreglss claves but they are starting to develop some dead spots. When I get it right I can get a usable cricket chirp but its getting harder to acheive. I've been looking around for some new ones but was wondering what type of wood is the best or at least the most popular? My glass ones have a high sharp sound that I can get to cut through just about anything. At last count I've come across about 12 different woods and 4 different sythetics. What ever will I do?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Claves???

Dellis26, Sound like you have a bit of experience with claves, I don't know much about dead spots in fiber glass claves but what is your experience with the different woods? Rose, oak?
    BTW Cool thread!
    L4C

User Info Menu

Mine were homemade for me out of an axe handle. They sound great.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've always preferred the sound of rosewood claves myself.

User Info Menu

Sorry, don't know anything about clave wood. Looks like a bodhran in your avatar though. Is it yours? Do you play it?

User Info Menu

Rosewood!!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Claves???

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    ...Looks like a bodhran in your avatar though. Is it yours? Do you play it?
    Looks like a bodhran to me, since it has a Celtic cross on it...hope you do play it, dellis!

As for claves--rosewood all the way, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Yes, it is a bodhran. It's retired now and is hanging on the wall as a piece of my artwork (pen and ink). It took a long time to design and execute the final image. It was replaced with another undecorated drum, but since then I've stopped playing the bodhran altogether because of RA. I still try to occassionally but the wrists just don't work the way they used to. Dellis

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Claves???

Sorry to hear about that, but that's a piece of artwork you can be proud of!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Sorry to hear about that, but that's a piece of artwork you can be proud of!
    I am and I've done a few others for friends, not quite as elaborate. The hands still work well enough for my djembes and thats where I have the most fun.