Thread: Drum virgin..

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Drum virgin..

Hi all, i was hoping someone can give me advice?. My 2 friends took up guitar a year ago and i stupidly agreed to be the drummer in the band that we would form once they got any good. The thing is i expected it to be a shortlived thing they would get bored of but they have improved at an alarming rate so now i have to learn to play drums??. Is there such a thing as a crash course?,also i live with a moaning wife and 2 kids so noise is out of the question,can anyone recommend a practise kit that is compact and maybe you can plug earphones in etc?,any books or online tuition i could look at?. Any help will be gratefully received as i don,t have the slightest clue?. if we finally get to a level where we can string a tune together between us it will hopefully be rock covers, ac/dc metallica floyd that type of stuff?,is rock harder to play drums to?,i don,t want to spend too much until i start to play a bit? please help..

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum virgin..

Let me start by saying welcome to Drum Chat .

Learning the drums good enough to play in public will take some time , unless you dont mind people laughing at you . Like anything else in life the more you do it the easier and quicker things seem to get .

It would be most beneficial to take private lessons until you get comfortable on your own practicing .

As far as the noise issue , any chances you could ditch your wife and kids ?

If not they do make these mute thingy's to put on the drums to quiet them down .

User Info Menu

I have the mutes, they work wonders, except for the Snare drum, nothing can really tone down the snare wires without turning them off, and it makes the bass drum sound like your kicking a cardboard box.

Maybe an electric kit? Plug your headphones in and jam away with everyone asleep. Either way I'd check your local Craigslist, or check eBay for a pre owned kit. Found mine on Craigslist and I couldn't be happier with it. Good Luck!

And Welcome to Drumchat!

User Info Menu

I would suggest Craiglist also.....you can find some really good deals on there....also check for any used gear at your local drum shop.....

The padded muting devices work well as far as cuting down the noise....

Lessons might be a good thing....but whatever you decide to do in regards to that....you are going to have to work at it....practice man! The more you put into it.....the more you will get out of it...I wish you the best of luck.....and BTW....Welcome to DC!
    ...I am not seeing things as they are....I am seeing things as I am....

User Info Menu

Hey Papalazarou, Welcome to Drum Chat!

Okay, so it sounds like you have never played drums before, and you want to know how to start and learn? Since you don't probably even know yet if it's something that you will really like, or that you'll have an aptitude for, I would recommend starting as simply and inexpensively as possible. I'm assuming this because you didn't mention things like "I've always wanted to play drums" or "I've messed around on my friend's kit" or anything like that.

Buy a nice practice pad and a pair of sticks and start banging along to tunes on the radio with your practice pad to see if you can keep any semblance of a beat before you go jumping into spending money for a kit. There are lessons available online, including at Drum Bum, to get you started on learning the basics. Practice pads are about as quiet as you can get, so you shouldn't disturb anyone with this. Then I would recommend as your next step to start taking lessons. There should be a music store in your area where they offer drum lessons, and if not ask around.

Once you've established that this is really what you want to do, and that you feel like it's something you can learn, come on back and let us know so we can help you further.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Lets see...moaning wife + drums + kids + procrastination + two beginning electric guitarists...does not equel no noise. Unless you play by yourself on an electric kit though headphones, there's going to be a healthy dose of sound. Even a muted drum kit is going to sound like a bunch of beating to a music hater. The odds of being able to play a muted kit with two new guitarists and still be heard are also not good. I suggest working on setting reasonable expectations and generating support from those around you for your musical persuit. If your spouce is not into it, drums is a hard sell, my friend.

Welcome aboard.

User Info Menu

Set aside at least 1 year of your life. Drumming is a lot more complicated than guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Set aside at least 1 year of your life. Drumming is a lot more complicated than guitar.

I agree, having played guitar for 20 years I thought drums would be a cake walk, was I wrong. This said, it is fun and requires time as stated above.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Bish View Post
    Let me start by saying welcome to Drum Chat .

Learning the drums good enough to play in public will take some time , unless you dont mind people laughing at you . Like anything else in life the more you do it the easier and quicker things seem to get .

It would be most beneficial to take private lessons until you get comfortable on your own practicing .

As far as the noise issue , any chances you could ditch your wife and kids ?

If not they do make these mute thingy's to put on the drums to quiet them down .
    Mrs. Bish is Welcoming people to Drum Chat???????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Mrs. Bish is Welcoming people to Drum Chat???????
    And she knows all about playing drums in public????
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    And she knows all about playing drums in public????
    I think it is funny, that she has this knowledge!!!

User Info Menu

Get a paractice pad and some sticks, put on the radio, and start tapping away!
    Thats the way to do it, mate!