Thread: Practice Space

User Info Menu

Default Practice Space

i've been hearing about these so called "practice spaces" by people who could not play their kit in their house or apartment...

Are there some kind of dedicated places with rooms to bring your kit and practice in for rent?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practice Space

I would spend that same amount of money for 1 month of rent probably and buy a set of rubber mute pads for your kit. I have them for every drum and cymbals and my wife can sleep while I practice. They work wonders.

User Info Menu

Usually a storage place but you rent one for band practices instead (or your own practice). Not all of them are open to it. You have to tell them what you would like to do and they'll yay or nay it. There are also old warehouses that can sometimes be used for rehearsal space. You just need to contact the owners to see if they're open to it.

User Info Menu

What city do you live in? Try searching Yahoo! for "band rehearsal spaces" and include your city name. I live in Chicago so we have a couple even though they are scarce. There is even one inside an old chocolate factory. The one I practice in now is solely for Bands and even have smaller rooms for solo drummers. Just make sure if you do move into on that it has decent security. You don't want to move into one that uses padlocks on their doors. Trust me.

You can try and mute the drums as some suggested but there is nothing like going over to your space around midnight and rocking out full volume just because you feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfool5931 View Post
    What city do you live in? Try searching Yahoo! for "band rehearsal spaces" and include your city name. I live in Chicago so we have a couple even though they are scarce. There is even one inside an old chocolate factory. The one I practice in now is solely for Bands and even have smaller rooms for solo drummers. Just make sure if you do move into on that it has decent security. You don't want to move into one that uses padlocks on their doors. Trust me.

You can try and mute the drums as some suggested but there is nothing like going over to your space around midnight and rocking out full volume just because you feel like it.

Yes, but you're a Guitarfool......

My band has a practice space, and I leave a kit there, BUT, it's about 40 minutes away. Dedicated practice spaces also cost money. Our band pays $160 a month for ours and that's a bargain in these parts - most are $200-250 per month. That's a big chunk to bite off if you're not splitting it with your band.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I know what you mean. And yes, if you're paying 150 total and not each for rent it is a huge bargain. I pay 150 for my portion of the rent at our space. It's 3 of us so we pay about 450 a month. Mine is also not exaclty across the street. Haha. It's about 45 minutes away on public transportation which is what I take. Still, for myself at least, there is something to say about not having to leave with worries about whether or not my 15,000 in equipment or so will be stolen that night. I have next to no worries about that happening where I'm at now. My house? Not so much.

Unless I converted the garage into some sort of space I wouldn't like practicing at home either.

I used to practice at home in my attic with my drumset and a full PA system blasting next to me. Needless to say it was noisy as hell and the ceilling below started cracking and falling apart. That sucked. I did advance the most as far as learning drums during that period though. I would watch some tv, have a bite to eat and then go rock out for an hour or 2 and repeat the process about 10 times daily.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Practice Space

Oh, and I used to play guitar before I transferred over to drums out of necessity(couldn't find a drummer). I jumped in and haven't looked back. Kind of. Haha. I use the same screen name wherever I go though. Might change it to Drummerfool5931 some day. Who knows?! Cheers!

User Info Menu

GuitarFool, i'm in the same boat as you, had loads of problems with drummers in our band so i started to play, and i love it, Rehersal Space for us is a converted garage that we've had to sound proof, very secure to you have to go through 2 fire doors with 3 locks each, you can hear it outside a little but noone has ever complained and we all still chip in what we would have paid out for a space and use the money for the band, mixer, mic's, van hire etc..
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Drum mutes, Practice Pads, Electronic Drums.

These are some options to think about. I know for me personally if I had to go to a place to practice that was not at home I would very seldom get it done.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    Drum mutes, Practice Pads, Electronic Drums.

These are some options to think about. I know for me personally if I had to go to a place to practice that was not at home I would very seldom get it done.
    Very true. I actually got missed my stop on a metra train last night and ended up in some suburb of Illinois instead of at my rehearsal space. I ended up going straight home instead. Bummer.

User Info Menu

We rent a room, costs $400/month! We should be livin there!

User Info Menu

Rehearsal halls. I was in one for a bit. There were about 6 bands. Wasn't a great idea. It was like a huge party all the time. People "crashing" our practices just to hear music while they partied. There was a band of kids above us that were huffers. After about 3 months, we packed it up and did rehearsals in the drummer's basement. My friend's studio next to us has been broken into and trashed. Too many people in and out all the time. I guess, what do you expect for $200/month.
    I would go and check out the places that you could rent first. Try to show up at late night and see what is going on. The day might look safe and nice, but it's night time you have to see.

User Info Menu

HEY BASSIST LEARNING DRUMS.... WHY R U WITH THAT MASK? JUST CURIOUS!!!
    If u are passionate about your gift yoiu will give room for it!
    That is all i wanna say about this.....

User Info Menu

Sorry I cant be of any help because I have always been fortunate enough not to have to rent space.

My practice space now is almost complete , Im waiting for my carpet guy to come over to casrpet my basement walls for me , its a heated / air condtioned room 22 x 16 with acoustic ceiling .

Interesting thread and comments , its something I would never have thought about .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kord Jazz View Post
    HEY BASSIST LEARNING DRUMS.... WHY R U WITH THAT MASK? JUST CURIOUS!!!
    If u are passionate about your gift yoiu will give room for it!
    That is all i wanna say about this.....
    That's my Gene Simmons persona!!! If you are curious, I have pics in my profile. Peace!

User Info Menu

My friends in Manhattan tell me that they have to rent space in order to practice because they cannot practice inside their apartments. Apparantely, this is common in Manhattan.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg