Thread: And I did it MY WAY!!!!!

User Info Menu

Default And I did it MY WAY!!!!!

Hey guys MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Hope Santa was good to you all. :-)

Ok so I have been playing drums for about a good solid 4 months now.

I haven't really been practicing rudiments or using a metronome because I have been having soo much fun just banging away to songs and trying to rock out!

My question is as I play I really try to imatate note for note the song I am drumming to. For the most part I can get the meat of beat but as I play I find myself adding my own fills and little things here and there that are not in the song or perhaps not played correctly but to me it sounds pretty decent.

So I am wondering is it wrong to play a song "your way" as opposed to the way it was orginal done? Or is good to learn exactly how the artist did it?

In particular I was trying out some Zepplin songs and for the most part even the simple beats although maybe alittle complex used sometimes I find that adding alittle pizzaz sounds pretty good.

I was wondering about your guys thoughts on this

User Info Menu

Default Re: And I did it MY WAY!!!!!

It's called improvisation and it's perfectly fine! It's what makes drumming fun. Always feel free to explore and create your own rhythms and beats. Just keep in mind that when you're on stage playing with a band, you do have to then think about the unit as a whole and more about what fits the song in that particular setting.

User Info Menu

I do this as well, but I am now putting more focus on the basics so I may perfect (if that is possible) my iprov. Have at it and have fun

User Info Menu

Hey Lil D, one thing you will notice if you hear any band doing a "cover" of another band's song, they will NOT play it exactly the same way. In fact, in most cases, they will do a completely different version which is all their own.

Every band has its own style, and every musician has their own style. There's nothing wrong with that at all. As Drummer stated, it's improvisation and opens up your own creativity.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Hey Lil D! I enjoy playing around with a song to make it "mine". As long as it holds the influence of the song, your own take is a good thing!

BTW..... I know where Parma is! I will be moving to Berea in the Spring!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    It's called improvisation and it's perfectly fine! It's what makes drumming fun. Always feel free to explore and create your own rhythms and beats. Just keep in mind that when you're on stage playing with a band, you do have to then think about the unit as a whole and more about what fits the song in that particular setting.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

It's no fun to play EVERYTHING note for note when you are playing by yourself...but keep in mind what Drummer said about a live situation with a band!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I agree with those guys^^. I learned to play Hush by Deep Purple before I ever heard the song so it sounds wayyy different from the original version..But still pretty good, IMO..

User Info Menu

You should hear my version of Mary had a little Lamb!! -Les
    Have at it bro! We all do it..

User Info Menu

Thanks guys thats very encouraging.

I always wondered about that

My favorite band Genesis as you know Had Phil Playing on drums as well as Chester.

I would notice a huge difference in styles between the two of them but I always wondered because Phil untill not too long ago could not read music so I wondered especialy on some of the earlier Genesis pieces how the H E LL does he remember all the complex beats and fills to play.

I am sure that after playing over and over agian he would have gotten it down pretty good and consistent but It is probably likely that even he did not play every note the same for every concernt.

I like that. Makes me feel much more comfortable and confident. I used to play keyboard for awhile and I always thought and felt pressure of playing exactly right because with keyboard I think the screw ups stick out and are very noticable where as drums you have alittle more leeway.

I heard Tony Banks screw up a few times and it's like nails on chalk boards iT's like Ohh Tony lol

Of course Tony is a keyboard god so I would be the last to say anything about him but when he plays you just expect perfection all the time.

Anyways I digress lol

Yes well I feel much better now knowing that I can play what I want and not feel guilty about it but yes like what was posted to keep in mind to make sure it fits in with everything else something I am sure I will fine tune as I progress

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Hey Lil D, one thing you will notice if you hear any band doing a "cover" of another band's song, they will NOT play it exactly the same way. In fact, in most cases, they will do a completely different version which is all their own.

Every band has its own style, and every musician has their own style. There's nothing wrong with that at all. As Drummer stated, it's improvisation and opens up your own creativity.
    this is exactly correct. I have heard some cover tunes that sound awesome, and sometimes better than the original artist performed it. Off the top of my head comes to mind Bowling For Soup, and their cover of "I Ran(So Far Away)" by Flock Of Seagulls. They turned the song into a kicking version

User Info Menu

An excellent question Lil Drummerboy! I think the key is to always play to the best of your own abilities, and don't be afraid to play.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

im surprised im the first to say this, but i think spending even 5-10 minutes every day into practicing basic rudiments will add alot to your playing

User Info Menu

Hedon

I agree completely! AND I SHOULD start on them rudiments which I will.

My personality is that of I am kind of a perfectionist. I like the idea of sturcture and a set way of doing things.

For instance I am a pilot and that enviroment is very structured rules and regulations and doing things by the book.

Playing drums for me gets me away from that structure I am used to as I am sure just in everyday like work and what not

So telling myself and letting myself play freestyle if you will is really neat.

I am learning to kind of break myself of being a perfectionist soo much and learning to just let it flow and be as creative as possible.

OH BTW I am having a He ll of a time with Kasmir on the Bass drum. It sounds so simple but I can't nail it GRRR :-(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lil drummerboy71 View Post
    Hedon

I agree completely! AND I SHOULD start on them rudiments which I will.

My personality is that of I am kind of a perfectionist. I like the idea of sturcture and a set way of doing things.

For instance I am a pilot and that enviroment is very structured rules and regulations and doing things by the book.

Playing drums for me gets me away from that structure I am used to as I am sure just in everyday like work and what not

So telling myself and letting myself play freestyle if you will is really neat.

I am learning to kind of break myself of being a perfectionist soo much and learning to just let it flow and be as creative as possible.

OH BTW I am having a He ll of a time with Kasmir on the Bass drum. It sounds so simple but I can't nail it GRRR :-(
    believe me, until you are really, really, really good with the heel toe technique, playing Zepplin is going to be quite difficult.If you want to go for the gusto though, try learning "good times, bad times" you have to totally have your heel toe down to nail that one.

User Info Menu

LOL yes difficult is an understatement.

It sounds easy enough but the brain isn't trained to be that cordinated yet.

Well the thing I love so far as looking back to when I firs started to where Iam now Iam very happy. Even if I still suck I can usualy pull it off well enough that my friends think I sound pretty good lol

I wish i had started along time ago. i would be awesome by now lol

Oh another question. Anyone every have the left hand or right hand hurt after playing and hitting the snare?? Sometimes if I play really hard my wrist will hurt. Is my snaer too tight? or am I just hitting too hard??

User Info Menu

LOL yes difficult is an understatement.

It sounds easy enough but the brain isn't trained to be that cordinated yet.

Well the thing I love so far as looking back to when I firs started to where Iam now Iam very happy. Even if I still suck I can usualy pull it off well enough that my friends think I sound pretty good lol

I wish i had started along time ago. i would be awesome by now lol

Oh another question. Anyone every have the left hand or right hand hurt after playing and hitting the snare?? Sometimes if I play really hard my wrist will hurt. Is my snaer too tight? or am I just hitting too hard??
    Thats funny about the thing of "I wish I would have started early becuase I would be awesome by now." My friends and I are always like that too man I would just be rippin on this song if I would have started like 2 months or 2 years sooner.

Never really had a problem with the snare drum thing is it when your doing a basic beat or fills or something because I know long rolls I can cramp a lil if i dont roll my wrists out.

User Info Menu

At four months there will be certain songs that you will have to improvise to your current ability and knowledge on the drums. At four years time there will certainly be more complex songs that you will have to improvise to your current ability and knowledge also.
    The sooner your start learning rudiments the quicker you will be able to nail a song note for note and have a fuller understanding of what the original drummer is doing, then if you want to improvise on it you will also be able to. great question. keep the beat buddy.

This is just my opinion based primarily on my knowlegde and what I have been taught.
    Are there great Pro drummers out there who are pretty much self taught?
    The answer is yes, are they at the top of their potential in a drumming world?
    I will let you guy's decide for yourselves. maybe I should open a seperate thread, but I think the original question hits pretty close to this topic. if im taking this thread off track let me know and I will edit and oopen a new thread.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    At four months there will be certain songs that you will have to improvise to your current ability and knowledge on the drums. At four years time there will certainly be more complex songs that you will have to improvise to your current ability and knowledge also.
    The sooner your start learning rudiments the quicker you will be able to nail a song note for note and have a fuller understanding of what the original drummer is doing, then if you want to improvise on it you will also be able to. great question. keep the beat buddy.

This is just my opinion based primarily on my knowlegde and what I have been taught.
    Are there great Pro drummers out there who are pretty much self taught?
    The answer is yes, are they at the top of their potential in a drumming world?
    I will let you guy's decide for yourselves. maybe I should open a seperate thread, but I think the original question hits pretty close to this topic. if im taking this thread off track let me know and I will edit and oopen a new thread.
    great question rat, always been interested in this as im going ghetto style myself
    might require a new thread

User Info Menu

well, considering all the different levels of years of playing,experience,style, etc, there are so many variables. I'm from the school of doing what works for you. Even the most experienced among us have potientail they may not know about. Music has so many facets to it no one can ever know everything.

Also, my school of thought is when the artist himself says he is good, that is when he stops learning, and growing. Even when someone will say that i'm good (more often than not someone who is not talented in the music instrument Dept.) I will humbly reply "but i still suck"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by parttimedrummer View Post
    well, considering all the different levels of years of playing,experience,style, etc, there are so many variables. I'm from the school of doing what works for you. Even the most experienced among us have potientail they may not know about. Music has so many facets to it no one can ever know everything.

Also, my school of thought is when the artist himself says he is good, that is when he stops learning, and growing. Even when someone will say that i'm good (more often than not someone who is not talented in the music instrument Dept.) I will humbly reply "but i still suck"
    good just means better than the average drummer. so i guess its ok for someone whos actually good to acknowledge that fact. saying that you dont have anything left to learn is what youre not allowed to do. i dont think saying you suck all the time could have a lot of good influence on your playing

User Info Menu

One of my favorite DVD's is Buddy Rich, from the Legend Of Jazz series. He makes mention of the fact that when you feel good about what you just played...Feel good about it! You don't have to broadcast it to the world but, at the same time, if someone says something about how great you just played, you don't have to underplay it either. I interpret that to mean to acknowledge ourselves when doing a good job and not be so overly modest when others say the same thing about us. Somewhere along the way, we've been told that we have to be considerate and not feel so good about ourselves compared to others...at least not say so. I don't know about that. What's so bad about being told you were good and why do we have to say we "Suck" in reply? Take the compliment in the spirit for which it was given and enjoy it...you worked hard enough for it!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I think it's all in what your band wants. I play in a cover band and I try to play what the original artist has played so not to alter the songs feeling. Yeah you can play things different here and there, but I try to stay on track of the original tune. When you you play out some people are looking for that one fill to sound like what there used to hearing.
    Anyway, have fun! the more you play and LISTEN it will all start to make sense to you and the other drummer is doing.
    It never get's easier, you just go faster- Greg LeMond

User Info Menu

"When you you play out some people are looking for that one fill to sound like what there used to hearing."

This brings me to another question.

So Ihave been really listening to allot of music more carfully to the drums in specifics and I have noticed and wonder about this.

Some songs espcialy allot of older classic rock stuff is simply the bass drum high hat and snare thats it. (AC/DC CCR Beach Boys Ringo allot of british invasion songs comes to mind) It sounds very simple and Iam wondering why didn't they add any toms or fills to the music or anything??

In other words, why did they keep it so simple? I mean Iam sure they could have spiced it up with some other beats and fills so what or how do you determine whether to just play basic snare bass hig hat drumming in or to a song or to add some fills and toms to it??

i hope my question makes sense lol

User Info Menu

"When you you play out some people are looking for that one fill to sound like what there used to hearing."

This brings me to another question.

So Ihave been really listening to allot of music more carfully to the drums in specifics and I have noticed and wonder about this.

Some songs espcialy allot of older classic rock stuff is simply the bass drum high hat and snare thats it. (AC/DC CCR Beach Boys Ringo allot of british invasion songs comes to mind) It sounds very simple and Iam wondering why didn't they add any toms or fills to the music or anything??

In other words, why did they keep it so simple? I mean Iam sure they could have spiced it up with some other beats and fills so what or how do you determine whether to just play basic snare bass hig hat drumming in or to a song or to add some fills and toms to it??

i hope my question makes sense lol
    Well first off, some of that simple stuff is not so simple at times. You mentioned Ringo. I think he does amazing things that fit the song so well. He has a feel and dynamics that compliment the song. A little fill here, a crash at the appropriate time can really make a song. Abbey Road, One of my favorite albums. The Band- Levon does some neat stuff.

Some older groups I like that are more progressive like, Yes, Jethro Tull, Uriah Heep, Dixie Dregs, Crack The Sky, Kansas, Sooooo many!

I wish I could elaborate on my thoughts here but I'm have a mental block

Use the force Luke
    It never get's easier, you just go faster- Greg LeMond

User Info Menu

So hoow does one determine to just use a snare as opposed to using a tom?

In other words... do u just go by what sounds best?

for example Phil Collins uses allot of toms and works his way around the drum set where as like a Ringo uses mostly snare. If Phill was playing say I am the Wallrus he prob would be using all his drums where Ringo uses allot of snare

Am I making any sense lol